Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Leather Police Jackets

billyb

Familiar Face
Very nice find. These CHPs jackets have become my favorite type of MC jacket. I'm believe I'm going to purchase a new one from Langlitz now that I will not be receiving the Rocker I ordered from Aero USA. My new CHPs style jacket is going to be a straight zip Columbia. I currently have a used CHPs jacket made by Classic Motorcycle Jackets of Portland which I believe is now defunct. Here's a picture. Very cool jackets IMO.

http://s1204.photobucket.com/albums/bb402/bishoffw/?action=view&current=frontviewjacket.jpg

mihai

A-List Customer
I love those old police jackets--especially old police motorcycle jackets. Yes, it does look like HH. Do yourself and the jacket a favor and use only Pecard to condition the leather. Every time a thread is started on this subject, there is a lot of conflicting information and conflicting opinions. But if Pecard is good enough for the Smithsonian to use on its vintage jackets, I think it ought to be good for us mortals as well.

A nice find.

Thanks a lot for the answer Peacoat. I definitely find the answers from you and others very helpful, as there is a lot to learn from.
I love police jackets too, I have one purchased from a FL member, that it not adjustable on the sides of the waist band. I think is a bit newer from the 60s, HH also.
Although I own a Aero B3 and a LW J23 I think the 2 police ones are the most valuable from my collection.

About the leather care products, I did a bit of documenting from FL and other places a while ago and I reached the conclusion that for leathers that are not dried up, cracked, irreversible damaged(fiber structure) is better to avoid petroleum based products(I understood is used to ease penetration of active ingredients). Wax and other sealants also because it prevents leather from breathing and absorbing moisture leading to drying up. Also with fat ingredients some oxidize faster which is not good for the fibers.
I bought a Connolly leather care but had a ton of solvent and I am not using it. Instead I bought Leather CPR already used it on a sheepskin B3 - style jacket and in small quantities works wonders where leather is bit dried.
Most of the products that make leather looking like new may weaken fibers and in time to cause more damage. This is why I am reluctant to buy shiny like-new vintage leather jackets as most sellers treat them for a more commercially appealing look. Which is a pity, really.

@billyb great jacket. The fit is perfect, follows waist, generous on top, the one I aim for. Is it custom made? HH?
Yes CHP are my favs too, straight zips. I am thinking of asking Aero of making one after this old one for me, with all details(is almost the same with the one with their CHIPS). If not I'll go to another tailor.

If more info on this, please share it.

Last edited:

deluxestyling

One of the Regulars
I have an identical Cop jacket mihai. They are really nice heavy duty jackets.

Bought it about 10 years ago and I've seen quite a few of them come up for sale since.

I had a snap off collar made I bought a Sam Brown belt as both were missing when I got it.

I'll put some pictures up soon.

billyb

Familiar Face
@billyb great jacket. The fit is perfect, follows waist, generous on top, the one I aim for. Is it custom made? HH?
Yes CHP are my favs too, straight zips. I am thinking of asking Aero of making one after this old one for me, with all details(is almost the same with the one with their CHIPS). If not I'll go to another tailor.

mihai, I actually purchased the jacket off eBay. It was made in the early 2000's for someone else but never worn. It's heavy cowhide. If it wasn't for the one major fit problem with the neck (look at the top of the front zip and notice how much room there is), I wouldn't be in the market for another CHPs jacket as the fit is near perfect. Since I'm going that route, I think I'll have an inch taken off the length and the arms taken out a bit where they attach to the body. The jacket is really tight on my arm pits and pushes up when I sit on my Harley because the leather is stiff and the jacket is an inch too long.

Also, Aero makes two police jackets that could be "blended" to make one you are thinking about. If that does not suit you, Lost Worlds makes a very good version of the CHPs jacket. I was going to go with Lost worlds, but now I'm looking into a Langlitz as well. Both of these makers seem to have options for you as well...nit sure you want to pay the duties though.

Chi-Town Co

Familiar Face
Very nice find. These CHPs jackets have become my favorite type of MC jacket. I'm believe I'm going to purchase a new one from Langlitz now that I will not be receiving the Rocker I ordered from Aero USA. My new CHPs style jacket is going to be a straight zip Columbia. I currently have a used CHPs jacket made by Classic Motorcycle Jackets of Portland which I believe is now defunct. Here's a picture. Very cool jackets IMO.

http://s1204.photobucket.com/albums/bb402/bishoffw/?action=view¤t=frontviewjacket.jpg

billyb- great find.. the fit looks really good. I've actually been looking at a Vanson Hard Core...

nevadapd

Familiar Face
Mihai, I recently bought an old school CHP black leather jacket that is nearly identical to yours from a vintage online clothing store. I suspect it was custom-made for a motorcycle officer in the 1960's, but it may be from the 1950's - nice brass Talon zippers, may be horsehide but I'm not sure, etc. The thing is, it was listed as my size - size 50 (interestingly, the size was hand-printed in pen on the lining of the inside chest pocket; I'm told that was a common practice back in the day). When the jacket arrived though, it was clearly a fine jacket, but too small for me. It fits more like a 46 I think. I guess you can't trust the sizes printed on old jackets. I can't send it back because the store will only issue me a credit and they don't have anything else I want. Also, I like the style of this jacket a lot. So much so much that I just had to have one that fit. So, like billyb, I ordered a modified straight-zip Columbia from Langlitz that should match my vintage one. I'll hold onto the old one to compare to my new Langlitz. I could sell the old one I suppose, and the shoe repair/leather guy I deal with is interested (shoe repair is his career, motorcycles are his escape). I think these police jackets are under-appreciated, but maybe that's changing.

mihai

A-List Customer
@deluxestyling
Yes the quality, robustness are amazing, considering the decades they've been withstanding and beating they took. Also what I like are the small imperfections - at mine's the horizontal stitches on top of front pockets are not in the same line, which looks cool. Please do post some pictures, would be interesting.

@billyb - those modifications are not difficult. I am in a similar situation and now look for a proper made CHIPS straight zip jacket. Prior to owning all these jackets, because of financial reasons I asked the tailor(that made my Grizzly Palomino style jacket) to make me a CHIPS jacket based on the LW model(from nice heavy cowhide). It went unexpectedly good, except collar that is more off than yours, having greater extra space. And we went through several fitting tryouts along the making of it. Pff what can I say... I like to wear it but whenever I see the collar it disappoints me. I will post some pics here, given the similar subject of this thread.
Mine is closer to Aero CHIPS but has extended kidney protection. However I am not sure about all the details if they are present on the aero's one. Do they customize jackets after the ones you send?
LW is my first option I have the money but I am undecided. If smth goes wrong for that amount it's not good.

@Chi-Town Co
Indeed the horsehide is thick. Not as the LW J23 but I read from here that it was normal for that era jackets. I would say it weights around 3 kg whereas my LW J23 does at least 4 kg (but is almost 2 sizes bigger). The other CHIPS style jacket I bought from a FL member is bit lighter than 3 kg (the horsehide is slightly thinner). A link to it:
http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?60550-FS-CHP-Motorcycle-Jacket

@nevadapd
That is why I enjoy vintage jackets bc of details, opposed to very fine crafted repros. Regarding the size I try to ask a few measurements whenever posible, I do not trust marked ones either. From the size description looks it might fit me. Maybe if you could drop please a few measurements and pictures.. as I am interested in it. And I am ready for an immediate PayPal payment when you decide to get rid of it :). I hope police jackets will still be under-appreciated to get some more. :)

Regarding Langlitz I saw their web-site but their marketing is not the strongest point. From what I read around here their are great craftsmen and their products are highly regarded but for a new customer like me the models exposed on the web-site do not look very appealing, repro-wise let's say. When you go to other sites like Aero, LW, Eastman... they show you look we can make these repro models, custom options... lots of info. Maybe they could do repro but if you do not see some samples it's difficult.

Last edited:

mihai

A-List Customer
That we talk about vintage jackets. I want to ask you how do you store them, given the considerations:
- that particular jacket's unknown usage history - might contain mold, bacteria that could pass to newer jackets and other clothing items if stored in the same room/drawer
- related to first - to wear such thing do you apply some anti-fungal powder or something on the inside?
- being old it asks maybe for more special handling: kept on the horizontal, in a dry, cool, dark place
- is not worn too often
- somebody not too advised could think is some disposable junk and throw it away, damage it, use it for chores, gardening, workshop :)

Peacoat

Bartender
Regarding Langlitz I saw their web-site but their marketing is not the strongest point. From what I read around here their are great craftsmen and their products are highly regarded but for a new customer like me the models exposed on the web-site do not look very appealing, repro-wise let's say. When you go to other sites like Aero, LW, Eastman... they show you look we can make these repro models, custom options... lots of info. Maybe they could do repro but if you do not see some samples it's difficult.

The Langlitz website is currently under construction. Perhaps the company heard the complaints from its customers.

deluxestyling

One of the Regulars
Here you go mihai.

003.jpg

006.jpg

reetpleat

Call Me a Cab
I am sure you would not have much trouble selling that size a vintage jacket for a good price on ebay. Big sizes are at a real premium.

You notice how the vintage cops must have been trimmer? lol
Most of the moto guys out here are pretty fit. I'd love to get the right HP jacket someday...

nevadapd

Familiar Face
I got this vintage steerhide police jacket on an auction site. It was made by Passaic Leather in New Jersey. It was listed as a size 50, which is my size, and to my relief, I think it fits reasonably well. The leather is in pretty good shape, in fact to my eye, it looks nicely broken in and obviously well cared for. The lining is a different matter - it could probably stand to be repaired or replaced. One of the side pockets has a hole as well. One feature I've not seen before: there's a strip of fabric with some holes from wear on the part of the collar that contacts your neck. I think it must be a sweat band, but has anyone seen this feature on other police jackets?

picture sharing

20mb image hosting

how to print screen on pc

image hosting services

how to screen capture

nevadapd

Familiar Face
You notice how the vintage cops must have been trimmer? lol
Most of the moto guys out here are pretty fit. I'd love to get the right HP jacket someday...

Here in Ohio the Highway Patrol has fitness standards that troopers are expected to meet. We just interviewed a former OSHP officer for a position where I work, and I learned there are even financial incentives for the troopers to stay in good physical shape.

strokes1251

Practically Family
I Had fallen for the Blue Leather from Aero but I could never afford to actually have something custom made from them. What a surprise when I found a Cal Leather CHP jacket in Blue for an astounding price! certainty never gonna see this again! all it needs is a black mouton collar and its set! :D
34hidj5.jpg

ngqblg.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy