Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Leather Replacement Sweatband

Walter Neff1940

One of the Regulars
Hello
Would anyone have a leather sweatband for sale that I could use to replace my cloth sweatband in my straw panama. I need one that is 23 inches (7 1/4) Thanks.

LuvMyMan

I’ll Lock Up.
Yep, Bond would be whom I would head to for a leather sweatband, (if you are going to be skilled enough to do a self replacement)!

Walter Neff1940

One of the Regulars
Yep, Bond would be whom I would head to for a leather sweatband, (if you are going to be skilled enough to do a self replacement)!
I don't believe it is a difficult job to restitch it. Just deciding if it is worth the price and time and what the advantage would be to replace the cloth band with leather.

The hatter in my city charges $35 to replace a sweat band. I had thought of doing it myself but the $$$ to buy a new one means I am only paying the hatter $20 for the stitching so I get them to do, seems money well spent.

Walter Neff1940

One of the Regulars
Yes, but I don't have a hatter and would have to mail it and added cost. I am confident I can do just as good as sending it away if I decide that route.

Lonn

Familiar Face
Hi,
Did you resolve this? I bought 5 or 6 leather sweat bands some time ago here and still have four or five of them in a box somewhere. PM me. I would be more than happy to pass one on since there is little chance I will use all of these. I did do exactly what you are talking about to an awesome vintage Stetson Panama I found with a disintegrated band. I used some nice ribbon I got here as well for a hatband. Made a really nice hat out of what would have been junk.
Lonn

TheDane

Call Me a Cab
Watch out! A leather sweatband takes up quite a bit more space than a grosgrain (fabric) one. A replacement will probably make the hat a size smaller - maybe even more.

LuvMyMan

I’ll Lock Up.
Watch out! A leather sweatband takes up quite a bit more space than a grosgrain (fabric) one. A replacement will probably make the hat a size smaller - maybe even more.

Good advice there! Yep. You have to account for many things when it comes to working on a hat!

Walter Neff1940

One of the Regulars
Not sure I see that. The cloth sweatband is like a padded type and a leather band isn't that thick. What would account for the reducing in size? Thought Lonn would get back to me and since he hasn't not, I have never done anymore to find a band.

TheDane

Call Me a Cab
Well, it doesn't sound like the usual petersham/grosgrain sweatband. I would need a picture to be certain.

If you "flange" it properly, you may have enough room for the leather band. Hard to say(?) :)

Walter Neff1940

One of the Regulars
With that cloth sweat,I'll about bet that you'll have a size issue if you install a leather replacement.There are several thicknesses plus the reed to accommodate.

My head measures 22 5/8 and the hat interior measures 23 so making it smaller would not be a bad thing.

TheDane

Call Me a Cab

Walter Neff1940

One of the Regulars
Anybody have an extra leather sweatband they don't need? If not, I may just keep the cloth band as it may not be worth it to switch. Thanks to all.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21