Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

LEATHER RESTORATION

Dr Doran

My Mail is Forwarded Here
No, this isn't about The Village People. Rather, about restoring leather in bags, shoes, and such. I was inspired by the Exotic Boots thread, but that is about exotics and we need to know about cowhide. I've looked for other threads on this topic but only found small references hither and yon. I received this 1950s Atlas bag through the Bay, and the leather is scratched, cracked in places, worn out in other spots. The seller says he'll reimburse me 50% which is nice of him. Anyhow, I've been talking to a local shoe repair woman and she says she can redye things, which is expensive. I am thinking of applying Neatsfoot Oil first. Has anyone used this? It expands the leather a bit. Then either I'll use a polish with a dye in it (any suggestions?) or have the woman redye the whole bag. Then I think I'll put clear shoe polish on it, unless that will rub off on my clothes. I of course cannot use black shoe polish on this, as that will rub off on my suits.

00d2_1.jpg

Who has tried Neatsfoot Oil? Who can advise on this topic? Who has more leather restoration questions and answers?

Bourbon Guy

A-List Customer
I would treat it with some Lexol to soften it and keep it from cracking any more and leave it as is. There is nothing wrong with your belongings having a bit of the patina that comes only from age and honest use.

Dr Doran

Bourbon Guy said:
I would treat it with some Lexol to soften it and keep it from cracking any more and leave it as is. There is nothing wrong with your belongings having a bit of the patina that comes only from age and honest use.

There is more cracking and scuffs than I wish. A few would be nice, but there are many.

Can you tell me about Lexol? I don't know anything about it. Is it a spray? A cream? What is in it?

Bourbon Guy

A-List Customer
Lexol makes several versions. They make a liquid pump spray designed for leather car seats that is effective at softening and conditioning the leather but I do not like the smell of it and would not recommend it. However, they also make a product for shoes that is a thick liquid conditioner. It did a very good job of softening a pair of stiff, ancient golf shoes to the point that I am comfortable wearing them now without fearing that I will crack them. I picked it up at a local shoe repair shop and recommend it highly.

The problem with neat's foot oil is that sometimes it is not. That is, sometimes what is labeled neat's foot oil is in fact a petroleum based product and should not be used on your leather. Be careful of that. Real neat's foot oil can also make the leather a bit sticky.

Then there is Pecard's. It comes highly recommended for old leather, but I have not used it as yet.

You can google any of these and get more information.

AlanC

I've not used Pecards, but the guys at COW are big on it. I see they have an antique leather dressing, which might be just the thing. I've used Obenauf's, and would recommend it.

Since it has lost some color you might try Meltonian, which is available in most imaginable colors. It treats the leather but also adds pigment to it. Standard colors should be available in a shoe store or shoe repair shop.

I'm not sure that I would necessarily refuse to use wax polish. If properly buffed I wouldn't think that it would rub off on your clothes. Before any wax, though, the leather needs to be treated.

Teacher

Familiar Face
If we're talking reptile, don't overlook Meltonian Delicate Cream (I think it's #170). Great stuff, and it's the best-smelling leather care product on the market!

alphy27

One of the Regulars
No No on the neatsfoot!

Neatsfoot is an animal fat based product and as such can go rancid. It is made from the legs of cattle. I've ruined leather with the stuff. One of the best leather conditioning and protecting products I've had great success with is Obenauf's bees wax based products. This stuff is terrific. I swear by it. Loads of information at their web site http://www.obenaufs.com/

As for coloring leather I always use Fiebings leather dyes and stains. You can get it almost any where that sells leather working stuff.

Shoe polish is for shoes and mustache wax.lol lol lol

Mary

Practically Family
I've also been trying to find a tread about leather care but not been able too. So thanks for starting one! I will post a picture of some shoes of mine I haven't looked after, simply cause I don't know how to.

So how should I clean them? And condition them? There are some stain, probably dirt, beer and water or other things found on a dancefloor. I was out dancing and ruined them and I haven't used them since.

The leather is quite fair/light and very thin and easily gets torn and gets stained.

And how should I care for the white leather?

I understand that they won't be the same but I'd love to know if there is anything I can do. Any suggestions will be very appreciated!

M

2008_0420skorhjlp0006.jpg

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
No neatsfoot! That's one golden era product to be shelved.

Pecard's. I redid a leather bag sort of like that with it and it came back beautifully. Pecard it!!

Lexol is great for car seats.

Mary

Practically Family
Scotrace. Are you refering to the bag or my shoes? I guess the bag. Have you got any suggestions for my shoes?!

M

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Mary, I can share my own experiences with leather cleaning, but the key thing is to always test carefully on a small area before going forward with the whole shoe.

This is an approximation of the method used by the Smithsonian Institution in Washington DC for preserving extremely brittle and damaged leather.

Mix together as best you can water, glycerine and rubbing alcohol in proportions of about 1-1/2-1/4. Using a soft cloth, use this as a cleaning solution to get the goo off the leather. Go easy and slowly. The alcohol in the mixture can discolor if not careful. Be very careful of the lighter areas - use a clean section of cloth there, not cloth that has already been over the brown parts.
To get the soles clean, use a very mild soap, water and an old toothbrush.

Let them dry naturally, out of the sun, away from heat, or they will shrink.

Then you will need a leather moisturizer. I've tried at least a dozen, and my favourite is Pecard's as it does a very thorough job. You would have to order it from the states and it may not be worth all that trouble. I have also used a German product called Lederbalsam, (that's close to the spelling!) which also smells nice - like cherries. (edit: I just googled it and it looks like there are several products out there by that name - the one I have used is a cream in a brown tube)

Once they have soaked up all the conditioner they will take, you can very carefully polish the brown part with shoe polish, and just buff the lighter areas. Again, be careful! Brown shoe polish on the light area won't come off easily.

Good luck! :)

Mary

Practically Family
Thanks a million! I'll look into it. I don't know what rubbing alcohol is but I'll let you know if I can't find it so you can expain what it is. It's very nice of you to give me such a thorough response.

M

Dr Doran

Rubbing alcohol: great product and it is 99c for a ~12 oz. bottle. I use it to disinfect cuts and scrapes. It's better as it's not annoying red like iodine and it doesn't lose its potency like hydrogen peroxide. Plus it feels really good on a wound. Hot.

I've used it for cleaning too.

nightandthecity

Practically Family
let me second (or rather third) the ban on neatsfoot oil. It has destroyed many a good vintage leather jacket.

Always check the ingredients of the various proprietary dressings that are available as some include neatsfoot.

Pecard is excellent stuff.

Various leather dyes are available from craft shops and your local cobbler but you may find that once your bag has been treated with Pecard it looks fine.

BTW, there have been leather treatment threads in the past, and good ones. Search the Outerwear section.

Mary

Practically Family
Hi nightandthecity. I don't know what BTW means but I'll search for older treads one more time.

I'll probably order the pecard or the german lederbalsam and some reptile shoeconditioner over the internet as I can't find any of it here. Is there something else I should get while I'm at it. (The shipping is what will cost the most so I'm happy to get as much as possible on the same time. )

Maybe something for making suede shoes softer (if there is such a thing)?

I have got the rubbing alcohol and glycerine (thanks scotrace!) so I probably do not need a leather cleaner or what do you think?

Do you use the Pecard for leather soles to or do I need something else for them?

Feel a little silly asking for things to buy but I have got so much good advice by doing so that I don't mind. Hope you have a nice weekend!

M

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
RM Williams Saddle and Leather Dressing. This is great stuff, and you can use it on any leather - jackets, shoes, boots, luggage, furniture, car seats, anything, and unlike some things it doesn't go rancid.

I have seen boots and saddles which see serious hard use still going strong after decades when treated with this stuff.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ayanda