Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Leather Surgery Q

TheGuitarFairy

Practically Family
I feel a lot more comfortable in jackets that are "experienced" .. so every now and again I find myself with one with a damaged top coat or rot. In the past I've used rubber cement then dye to delay the inevitable deterioration and make a jacket more wearable. (jacket's still going to be around longer than I is) .. turns out this is what Dena will do as well. Anyway, lately I've been using this stuff that book restorer's use on antique leather bindings called Klucel-G, it's described as a "leather consolidant" (is that a real word?). It's a lot less viscous than say rubber cement so it penetrates the exposed or rotted leather more deeply and after it dries it stays flexible and leaves the area no longer turning to dust and more solid. So far in my experience it works fine and hasn't darkened any jackets at all. YMMV obviously.

Last edited:

wild_balls

Practically Family
This could possibly be Aero’s “Vintage Brown”. It was used around 2010. It had some of this “suede” feel going on with the topcoat. The jacket also has the blue label which signals a trainee or not quite first run quality.
Stay clear if you’re in doubt. There are plenty out there.

Hi,

The blue label was used as a regular label years ago, don’t know when it became the label it represents today though.

Cheers Joakim

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CCRider