Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Leather Surgery Q

Al 916

One Too Many
Hi,

Could the experts help with a diagnosis, and maybe a course of treatment for:

Many thanks
Al

Screenshot 2021-07-02 at 10.26.19.png

Best you can do is condition it and keep it from cracking any deeper. Ultimately though it's just kicking the can down the road. The only cure for flaking like that is to replace the panel. I had an old M/C jacket with this type of flaking and wore it for years. Just don't let it get too thirsty.

Is that CXL? If it is, I'm guessing it's very hot and humid wherever this jacket is residing.

This could possibly be Aero’s “Vintage Brown”. It was used around 2010. It had some of this “suede” feel going on with the topcoat. The jacket also has the blue label which signals a trainee or not quite first run quality.
Stay clear if you’re in doubt. There are plenty out there.

Yep Aero.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/284356110816?hash=item4234f1e9e0:g:eDwAAOSwGJ1g3sub

I am keeping an eye out for one and this came up. I thought the collar stitch looked slightly off too but that may just be my inexperienced eye.

Yep, thought it might be what it is. I'm fairly convinced at this point that some of the hide Horween made is faulty as this should not generally be happening to any leather jacket, yet I've seen quite a few instances of the exact same issue plaguing these jackets - Thought mostly in Asia. This isn't Aero's fault as they haven't tanned the leather and while new, they couldn't have predicted this would happen. My guess is it's just chemically... Well, off. What @handymike said, it's that certain type (batch, perhaps?) of CXL that has very thick finish which clearly has a life span. There might be a lot of wax in it, I don't know but something's making it to dry out and flake off like that much sooner than it's supposed to. I had one jacket like that and I wouldn't want another.

Some Horween CXL is heavily treated. Sanded, whatever. I don't know but very little epidermis is left and what little there is, isn't strong enough to keep all that heavy finish intact. I've seen jackets on Japanese listings cracking all the way through. Not a pretty sight. In any case, I'd avoid this jacket.

Get this one, instead. If it fits. It may be Connolly, though it doesn't really matter as literally every one of these HWM's made from random cowhide were outstanding! This leather is sure to survive and outlast several generations of wearers.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/193946114699
s-l1600.jpg

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/194019702792?hash=item2d2c79b808:g:4mAAAOSwGeZgW1xA
s-l1600.jpg

Last edited:

Al 916

One Too Many
Yep, thought it might be what it is. I'm fairly convinced at this point that some of the hide Horween made is faulty as this should not generally be happening to any leather jacket, yet I've seen quite a few instances of the exact same issue plaguing these jackets - Thought mostly in Asia. This isn't Aero's fault as they haven't tanned the leather and while new, they couldn't have predicted this would happen. My guess is it's just chemically... Well, off. What @handymike said, it's that certain type (batch, perhaps?) of CXL that has very thick finish which clearly has a life span. There might be a lot of wax in it, I don't know but something's making it to dry out and flake off like that much sooner than it's supposed to. I had one jacket like that and I wouldn't want another.

Some Horween CXL is heavily treated. Sanded, whatever. I don't know but very little epidermis is left and what little there is, isn't strong enough to keep all that heavy finish intact. I've seen jackets on Japanese listings cracking all the way through. Not a pretty sight. In any case, I'd avoid this jacket.

Get this one, instead. If it fits. It may be Connolly, though it doesn't really matter as literally every one of these HWM's made from random cowhide were outstanding! This leather is sure to survive and outlast several generations of wearers.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/193946114699
s-l1600.jpg

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/194019702792
s-l1600.jpg

Hi Monitor,

Yes I saw both of these (same seller) the first one is good fit wise. I noticed the Zip pull (Suzuki?) and the folding of the waist piece. Either problems do you think?

zebedee

One Too Many
I've not had any trouble with jackets in Shanghai/Hong Kong at all. I treat jackets with Renapur about every half a year and keep them in a cupboard with some dehumidifier gel boxes. I sometimes air them for a day in a spare room with the aircon turned on.

Hi Monitor,

Yes I saw both of these (same seller) the first one is good fit wise. I noticed the Zip pull (Suzuki?) and the folding of the waist piece. Either problems do you think?

Doesn't look to me like the zipper is a replacement so if that's what Aero used for the jacket, all good. Looks like a nice, sturdy zipper, actually. The folding... I dunno, should be a problem when worn. You can always re-shape that later on, same principle as shaping collar.

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
I live in tropical climate, and sometime I sweat a little inside my jacket due to sun exposure like when stopping at traffic light waiting for the light turns green, I have a jacket made from a chrometanned cow with waxy finish, and the part of the collar touching my skin absorbs oil and I guess salt from sweat ,after few years it develops micro cracks on the surface, so I resurfaced it with varnish/ leather final coat to stop it from further degrading. But I feel waxy finish is weaker than pigment finish for jacket purpose, maybe it is a strong finish for boots or bag or wallet you can buff a minor scratch off, has more character and patina potential, but it still react to salt, skin oil, etc. not ideal for something touching my skin all day.
I don't have similar problem on any of my pigment finish leather, they are more boring to look at, not really growing any darker patina with wear, but also hardly absorbing anything.

jonbuilder

My Mail is Forwarded Here
This Trojan Sportswear came out of Japan. The rip at the shoulder stared when I tried the jacket on. Dena looked at these pictures and mentioned the leather is not vat-dyed and has a super heavy finish. That also is hard to stop from coming away from the skin once it has started.

BA2A1EEA-6599-4834-BDAD-10F2A5237DA1_1_105_c.jpeg
33EA21D6-8C8E-4660-8FCF-7EF08D38A322_1_105_c.jpeg
014CE645-4477-4C43-AAF7-4EE7358E4815_1_105_c.jpeg
E7250CFC-A620-443D-901C-AC9D907BAE78_1_105_c.jpeg
937398CB-6DE1-494F-9625-D9AAB491C9D6_1_105_c.jpeg
F56342DB-EA6D-4BFC-8074-238C93570D02_1_105_c.jpeg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk