Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Leather sweat band care?

Art Hat1

One of the Regulars
In all seriousness, I don't think its a problem. Over time, a sweat will take a little damage but still wear just fine. Older vintage hats develop microcracks occasionally, among other things. As long as it doesn't dry out.
Cool, I’ll relax a little then! That’s what I thought but anxiety has a way of building on itself, even over little things.

Art Hat1

One of the Regulars
So I have a fantastic little gray fedora, I suspect from the early ‘60s, with a nice boxy crown and a diamond bash. The whole hat seems in great shape. I do plan on replacing the liner just for the sake of cleanliness, luckily it’s glued in so not too hard to get out. Anyway, I was planning on going over the sweat with a damp rag and maybe some very watered-down soap just to do some gentle surface cleaning. When I flipped the band out it’s still pretty soft to the touch though I noticed this discoloration. No odor or anything just that blotchiness. Curious if that looks like rot or bacteria? Is this something I should just send to a hatter for a new sweatband?
IMG_8752.jpeg

So I have a fantastic little gray fedora, I suspect from the early ‘60s, with a nice boxy crown and a diamond bash. The whole hat seems in great shape. I do plan on replacing the liner just for the sake of cleanliness, luckily it’s glued in so not too hard to get out. Anyway, I was planning on going over the sweat with a damp rag and maybe some very watered-down soap just to do some gentle surface cleaning. When I flipped the band out it’s still pretty soft to the touch though I noticed this discoloration. No odor or anything just that blotchiness. Curious if that looks like rot or bacteria? Is this something I should just send to a hatter for a new sweatband? View attachment 544950

Not certain what blotchiness you are talking about. It's the reverse side of the sweatband, so it will loo different. Unless it's moldy or mildewy, there should be no problem. If it can flip out like that, it still has life in it.

If you are concerned about it being dirty or unsanitary, wipe it down with a baby wipe, then treat it with a good leather treatment.

I'd keep the liner, too.

Art Hat1

One of the Regulars
Not certain what blotchiness you are talking about. It's the reverse side of the sweatband, so it will loo different. Unless it's moldy or mildewy, there should be no problem. If it can flip out like that, it still has life in it.

If you are concerned about it being dirty or unsanitary, wipe it down with a baby wipe, then treat it with a good leather treatment.

I'd keep the liner, too.
Thanks for the reply! Yeah, I was a tad concerned about those whiter blotches may have been mold or signs of dry rot but the leather actually does still feel like soft leather and there’s no smells or anything so it’s probably just fine. It does need a mild wipe down but it is probably the best fit I’ve ever had in a fedora.

I am going to keep the liner-part of the hat’s history after all! The only stains I see are from the decades old glue but a soft cleaning still seems a good idea.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner