Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Leather trucker jacket opinions?

Sockeye

One of the Regulars
I’m thinking about either a Vanson Maverick or Aero type III trucker in Vancouver leather. Experience? Opinions?

El Marro

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I have an Aero Type 3 in Vicenza with the Troy Mills Blanket liner that I bought a couple years back for Thurston Brothers. It is a very nice jacket: it Looks good, it’s comfortable to wear, and it gets a lot of compliments. I’m sure it would look great in the Vancouver leather as well.

TooManyHatsOnlyOneHead

Call Me a Cab
There was one on the Thurston Bros page few weeks back, I want to say darker colored vancouver. I was like Ulysses chained down as he passed the sirens. Took every ounce of willpower not to break down and buy that thing. Simply gorgeous.

I like the Maverick and Cheyenne too, but there's different models out there now. Seems to be a Japanese version. I think if you can get one of the original with the old school comp weight, that's a great catch.

El Marro

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Sockeye, I think this style can look good either slim or loose to be honest. My jacket was a little roomy when I got it and now after more than a year of weight training at home it fits pretty trim. It still looks good but I wore it more often when it was looser.
The one thing to avoid is going too long, that just throws off the proportions and makes the jacket look wrong. I do not like short jackets but I think the Jean jacket is one style where you almost can’t go too short. I’ve seen some jackets here that didn’t even touch the top of the belt and still looked good.

Trimmer and shorter than other styles still works. Like TooMany said, if you can find an older Vanson trucker, especially the Cheyenne, snag it. The Lee repro is no longer made. I rarely wear mine as I prefer cross zips, but it is so nice I can’t part with it.

Craig from Craigslist

One of the Regulars
I'm actually in the middle of getting a trucker through Thurston right now and was also on the fence between the Maverick and Aero Type III. As someone who owns an absurd amount of trucker jackets in various brands and materials, I'd say go for the Maverick. IMO, you're not really sacrificing anything in terms of quality but the Maverick comes with handwarmer pockets and an insider pocket standard on the jacket. My understanding is Aero won't even add handwarmers which isn't the worst thing on a short style like this but it can definitely be annoying in colder weather.

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up
I have a couple Vanson Cheyennes, they where made for the Japanes market and might have a different pattern, but i fid them a bit baggy and shapeless:

iAhdU16.jpg

0dyluOR.jpg

kd9vtEx.jpg

TkORYFO.jpg

I also have a Lee one which i actually prefer:

78nfWnY.jpg

lppB9wE.jpg

As i think it fits more like an original:

ihbWZdM.jpg

TV0pBMx.jpg

If it was me i would look around for a used Lee version, they come up pretty cheap on eBay, we have had a few go through the classifieds as well.

The Vanson ones are cool, but i think the pattern has been changed a lot over the years, as a few members have had them and they all look pretty different from each other.

Sockeye

One of the Regulars
I'm actually in the middle of getting a trucker through Thurston right now and was also on the fence between the Maverick and Aero Type III. As someone who owns an absurd amount of trucker jackets in various brands and materials, I'd say go for the Maverick. IMO, you're not really sacrificing anything in terms of quality but the Maverick comes with handwarmer pockets and an insider pocket standard on the jacket. My understanding is Aero won't even add handwarmers which isn't the worst thing on a short style like this but it can definitely be annoying in colder weather.
Solid advice, exactly what I was looking for. Thanks!

RL204

One of the Regulars
I know this isn’t a maker you were asking about but my favourite leather trucker is the fine creek Hampton. I am biased as I own one and have never seen or touched any other leather trucker in person. Only way to make it any better would be to add an inside pocket.

7FA49BD0-D896-47C1-9D5B-F3100095BA84.jpeg
7D067D6F-011F-4A18-BC21-9FD4B3F892C5.jpeg

dudewuttheheck

I'll Lock Up
This style of jacket just isn't my favorite overall. It's weird for me to say that considering I have a leather "denim style" jacket in my Freewheelers roughout version of a Levi's Type III. Everything just aligned in this jacket.

What I will say is that I strongly believe that they look better in roughout or suede than they do in regular grain side leathers.

0ou9pjA.jpg

87yDxKU.jpg

This style of jacket just isn't my favorite overall. It's weird for me to say that considering I have a leather "denim style" jacket in my Freewheelers roughout version of a Levi's Type III. Everything just aligned in this jacket.

What I will say is that I strongly believe that they look better in roughout or suede than they do in regular grain side leathers.

0ou9pjA.jpg

87yDxKU.jpg

They so don't it isn't even remotely close to funny. XD

y96yqAO9S0XJTEkrAkKlanWy9KYjKQlN8a16wVyOk8R2sabF5Hw9tFhQ_tP1GopocAfNlSEk5-XHdQrl6UP0W1xF0owcYQNtc38oCcandBe2n5C-cxShQoqjrSTXlsy4hyKaNj38d07KSCm8kQlKTgZSt5E0t0k5hPIUzSdihX8d6Ke-soOK9oir4glZrNerBqdvd7SYajwMZGnRl5d1c2Ct_WFGfBP1Dq65VG0ccNNdBYiCYYEzHlrxwZ7cpFHUVU8pXOanwUdT3Qz-9EWUtQKIMs-aRi5S3huaN8QM3xZNVFxzXJr0w2X-4Nfz_rzhyc7OZzaHXlSQgu1yiVY1z7Xfa0TQiyRbJSDQDPlGC_qTYF6mOxP1PzGvkU3SSxJL_pCKoqZTHxCqLty01hCpHAzrKGmVjqxcdvo9U1XUbqE12uSVVE6b1dKsBLOeE35ftT7p511mPxf69hQtU6mujG0TlUyy8YjWpRbv67gvWvmUrmN7AhMbUahxDBicxUMoXMPMlB6UL2tm26l4yT8qdRw1YDPCpZ9dwxigH2j0I-TNgt5MPVmPF2oIIfAgR2l1Iy3BE1SeICg0viZz-bN2zo_tXdER7zXOUKZ0DO10S4YjkT0aJw=w982-h652-no

I have a couple Vanson Cheyennes, they where made for the Japanes market and might have a different pattern, but i fid them a bit baggy and shapeless:

iAhdU16.jpg

0dyluOR.jpg

kd9vtEx.jpg

TkORYFO.jpg

I also have a Lee one which i actually prefer:

78nfWnY.jpg

lppB9wE.jpg

As i think it fits more like an original:

ihbWZdM.jpg

TV0pBMx.jpg

If it was me i would look around for a used Lee version, they come up pretty cheap on eBay, we have had a few go through the classifieds as well.

The Vanson ones are cool, but i think the pattern has been changed a lot over the years, as a few members have had them and they all look pretty different from each other.

Can confirm. If I haven't seen the tag on your Vanson Cheyenne (and not just your jacket, some other members here got this version, too), I would bet all my money on it being made by someone else. Mine was different all over and around.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leatherpatch