Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Leather Trucker Levi's / Lee / Type-whatever jackets!

Mandarin

Practically Family
As awesome as the SB/3sixteen is, the Aero is an absolute 100 points double freaking underline!!!

What leather is it made in? Jerky HH?

Yes: Jerky HH alright

As for the hand warmers, I can't decide between esthetics and functionality, so that was probably an excuse to get both solutions.

Edward

Bartender
If Aero would do handwarmers on a Type III, I might just have to.

You can always ask. I suspect Ken wouldn't be keen because they're a sixties thing, and he has very determinedly set the clock on Aero as stopping at 1959 stylistically. I interviewed Ken for the Chap a year or so ago, and he mentioned that he'd always sene the Aero Type 3 as a bit of an outlier until he discovered that the basic design was already around in the late fifties. I believe the handwarmer pockets were a sixties addition to the design. To my eye, they're what makes a 'trucker' as we now know them too 'busy', though that said I rather like the ones Wrangler were doing in the late 50s.

Of course, if Aero did decline this, it's also possible that the revival of Ken's 1960s label under Holly's management might be something that could come under there. I'm not a sxities person per se, but I tihnk it's going to be really intersting to see what comes with that lable, as much as anything because it's about Ken's history and the roots of Aero as we know it today.

I have become a real purist in regards to no hand warmers on my type 3 and Storm Rider jackets because it looks cleaner to me. Of course it probably helps that I never use those pockets on any of my jackets.

I tend to agree. Equally, I never use the handwarmers on any of my leathers, but I like to have them aesthetically.

Boyo

Call Me a Cab
3 beauty's sitting on the sales page this morning, ( 42, 44, 46 )

3485d54820a0388c_front500.jpg

2 navy & 1 black

torfjord

Call Me a Cab
Couldn't resist and broke my vow of chastity when I saw this trucker on SB's sale page. The tea core leather is fantastic, thick (1,4mm) and very pliable, they call it Horween Lux. Size is almost OK, except for the length (26"). Maybe a size smaller would've fit better, but it wasn't available anyway, and it might've been too snug. Here are some fit picks, along with some other ones of my Aero in a size 40 that's 2" shorter (the waist is narrower by the same length).

View attachment 180733

View attachment 180729 View attachment 180729 View attachment 180730 View attachment 180731 View attachment 180732

SB is a bit “meh” imo, too long and looks a little bit big. BUT THE AERO!!! It’s the nicest leather trucker I’ve ever seen. Never been tempted by this style before, but yours look so damn good! Superb fit, the jerky hh is lovely, everything about it looks amazing.

Skickat från min iPad med Tapatalk

Mich486

One Too Many
I’ve got a jacket in Seal Jerky HH on order and I hope it’ll look half as good as yours!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mandarin

Practically Family
Thanks for the compliments.
Jerky HH deserves to be acknowledged.
@torfjord: I agree the HH is probably a size too big, but i always thought the Aero to be slightly small, and showing them both was a way of comparing.
The fact is, the Aero fits perfectly for a summer jacket, as the SB can work in the winter with warm layers underneath.

I went ahead and ordered what Aero currently has on hand for a good price, but only in size 36. The specs seem good for me; though the back length is short, I think it’s fine for this jacket type, the Lee 101J 1946 Rider.

c9b48900573ae63be8d907ba11298e12.jpg

d49a8173392631471d5da68630c281dd.jpg

http://www.aeroleatherclothing.com/product-detail.php?id=4597

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was just looking at this jacket earlier today. Please post more photos of it once it arrives. It looks fantastic and the price is good.

This also looks awesome. Really good distressing. Sadly, no M
left.

Couldn't resist and broke my vow of chastity when I saw this trucker on SB's sale page. The tea core leather is fantastic, thick (1,4mm) and very pliable, they call it Horween Lux. Size is almost OK, except for the length (26"). Maybe a size smaller would've fit better, but it wasn't available anyway, and it might've been too snug. Here are some fit picks, along with some other ones of my Aero in a size 40 that's 2" shorter (the waist is narrower by the same length).

View attachment 180733

View attachment 180729 View attachment 180729 View attachment 180730 View attachment 180731 View attachment 180732
Don’t know how I missed this. That Aero is Absolutely brilliant! Fit is PERFECT!!

technovox

One Too Many
Considering an Elkhide trucker from Johnson's now.... what sort of color would look best?
Interesting. I just called Alan at Johnson Leathers this morning to ask him about the possibility of doing a Trucker in Deer. And he informed me he also has a selection of Elk and Buffalo available. Choices choices. I've always been partial to the light brown buckskin color.

Goel

A-List Customer
My vote would be for brown. Caramel or tobacco or anything in between.

That or the chocolate is what I'm going for. Someone posted a chocolate elk jacket a while back and it looked great except for the very bright shearling collar.

Interesting. I just called Alan at Johnson Leathers this morning to ask him about the possibility of doing a Trucker in Deer. And he informed me he also has a selection of Elk and Buffalo available. Choices choices. I've always been partial to the light brown buckskin color.

I just got done talking to him a while ago. He said deer has the most color and weight options, and is the most pliable. Buffalo, or American Bison actually, is still soft but has the least stretchiness while Elk is in between.
Elk is the most exotic of the bunch and all the ones I see are fringed western style jackets so that's the leather I'm going for.

technovox

One Too Many

I just got done talking to him a while ago. He said deer has the most color and weight options, and is the most pliable. Buffalo, or American Bison actually, is still soft but has the least stretchiness while Elk is in between.
Elk is the most exotic of the bunch and all the ones I see are fringed western style jackets so that's the leather I'm going for.

Good to know. Elk should be amazing. I'm aiming to stop by the shop when I get a chance and look over the various selection of leathers Alan has available.

Last edited:

El Marro

My Mail is Forwarded Here
My cousin in New York had a leather trucker made by Johnson Leather this year. He stopped in and met Alan when he was out here visiting my mom and I. They made a few small changes (slimmed down the body if I remember correctly) and he opted for a brown cowhide Alan had on hand. He picked it up he was out here a few months later and I have to say it is perfect! As someone who owns 20 or so leather jackets myself I just had to shake my head and congratulate my cousin who hit it out of the park on his first try!

Goel

A-List Customer
They may not always have the exotic leathers in stock but they can always get a swatch for you, I'm waiting on mine right now. Their trucker is already a pretty trim fit from the measurements they sent me, but I'll find out for sure when I get a stock fit jacket in.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ