Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Leather Trucker Levi's / Lee / Type-whatever jackets!

Leigh H

Practically Family
Yes, I realised after I posted that type 3s wouldn’t have been around in the 50s! These jackets are so much fun! Yours is a beauty, as is the gentleman’s on Instagram.

Have you ever deep cleaned yours? Did you do it yourself or take it to a professional? I’ve seen posts on here about washing it in a tub of soapy water…

Not my levis jackets but i have deep cleaned another roughout suede jacket. You can buy suede conditioner from Amazon.

Suede is fine in warm water.

mvilla

A-List Customer
Hey, guys! Perhaps you'd be able to help me here. I'm looking to sell this one, as it is way too big on me (size XL, but I think it is close to a 44). The issue is I have no clue about how much to ask for. I don't remember how much it was, and can't find other posts on classifieds of similar models. Can you help me price it?

20230513_104125.jpg
20230513_103833.jpg

Observe

One Too Many
Hey, guys! Perhaps you'd be able to help me here. I'm looking to sell this one, as it is way too big on me (size XL, but I think it is close to a 44). The issue is I have no clue about how much to ask for. I don't remember how much it was, and can't find other posts on classifieds of similar models. Can you help me price it?

View attachment 516901 View attachment 516903
Looks similar to this one but the labels are different. I also notice yours has a lining while End's seems not to.

Edit: upon further inspection they're definitely not the same model. Does yours have any more labels on the inside showing where it was made, model number, etc?

Aloysius

My Mail is Forwarded Here
This thread reminds me I need to sell my Schott Type 3.

Amazing jacket but I got it one size too big.

That jacket did make me realize how misleading a flat jacket photo can be, because the handwarmers seem to disappear when it’s worn (unless your hands are in them) whereas they’re very obvious when you’re looking at the jacket laid out.

An overlooked aspect of patterning, I guess, which finds a compromise between the traditionalist and handwarmer camps.

Aloysius

The IH ones are sad because they (referring to IH Japan jackets; not IHUK's SImmons Bilt crap) use great materials and construction but kill it with the bizarre fit. IH does this on denim ones as well.

I wonder if this is down to how IHUK (which we should always remember was just a store that proclaimed itself IH UK; wasn't originally part of the company) strong armed itself into design influence over the actual company in Japan. A lot of things I see IH putting out seem to just be Giles's personal style inflicted on the rest of us lol.

cbez

One Too Many
After a lil snip snip on the sleeves courtesy of Dena it's actually one of my best fitting jackets. (Altho big for a 34..) the back doesn't seem too long to me

Aloysius

After a lil snip snip on the sleeves courtesy of Dena it's actually one of my best fitting jackets. (Altho big for a 34..) the back doesn't seem too long to me

To be fair, yours is a 34. At more average sizes, IH Type 3s are incredibly long.

El Marro

The IH ones are sad because they (referring to IH Japan jackets; not IHUK's SImmons Bilt crap) use great materials and construction but kill it with the bizarre fit. IH does this on denim ones as well.
This has been my experience with almost all of their Type 3 jackets. Every now and then they release one with normal arm and back lengths and those are rally nice, except for the price of course.
The horsehide Type 3 is too long but I actually prefer that to too short, even though too short is probably more historically accurate.

Aloysius

Every now and then they release one with normal arm and back lengths and those are rally nice, except for the price of course.

I'm guessing these are the original fit, but because IHUK strong armed them into having full control of all sales outside of Japan, we get stuck with the Giles Fit.

Observe

One Too Many
Yeah the IH type 3 sleeves are extremely long and very tight at the cuff, so if you like to button them up like me it's not really an option. I think the idea is when you're riding a bike and your arms are forward you want tight, long sleeves to prevent wind getting up there. Let's be real though, 90% of those buying such a jacket are doing it for the style, not for riding. Trucker jackets probably shouldn't be patterned for motorcycle riding if you ask me.

Will Zach

I'll Lock Up
Yeah the IH type 3 sleeves are extremely long and very tight at the cuff, so if you like to button them up like me it's not really an option. I think the idea is when you're riding a bike and your arms are forward you want tight, long sleeves to prevent wind getting up there. Let's be real though, 90% of those buying such a jacket are doing it for the style, not for riding. Trucker jackets probably shouldn't be patterned for motorcycle riding if you ask me.
99%...;)

El Marro

I think this is what they want people to believe but in reality they do it so that the sleeves stack up and create those beautiful creases that denim nerds love so much.

Aloysius

I think this is what they want people to believe but in reality they do it so that the sleeves stack up and create those beautiful creases that denim nerds love so much.

Nah it’s just the fantasies of a British guy who fantasizes he’s becoming the ultimate American construction worker.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana