Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Leather U-Boat jacket advice please?

Magister

Familiar Face
Hello all,

I've had the urge to get a 3/4 length, heavy leather coat, and the "U Boat" style speaks to me. Aero's Mariner is a bit out of reach financially, but the Noble House offering is doable. I have read mixed reviews of this brand, mostly regarding their flight jackets. Does anyone have a Noble House U Boat to tell me about? How about some other brands?

Peacoat

Bartender
Lost Worlds has one but the price is probably comparable to Aero. Also Schott makes one that is reasonably priced. I have heard good reviews about the Schott.

Magister

Familiar Face
I've been eyeballing pics of the Schott too. It looks good, maybe a bit too glossy for my tastes.

Peacoat

Bartender
I've been eyeballing pics of the Schott too. It looks good, maybe a bit too glossy for my tastes.

Doubt that it would be too glossy after break in. But if so, take some 000 steel wool and wipe the gloss away. End of problem. I would rather do it naturally by wearing it, but for those who want quicker results, it will work.

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
Wested makes one:

http://www.wested.com/dr-who-jacket-20-p.asp

Okay, they're a movie costume shop and their jackets aren't milspec-tough. But they are great for the price: I've worn my custom-sized Raiders jacket for about a decade now, and I see they still make them to custom size for around $300 (back in 2003 it was $230). That's a heckuva bargain these days! They're also agreeable to many modifications that stitch-perfect repro makers aren't. Anyway, I suspect that their Das Boot/Dr. Who jacket is pretty good for the price.

Peacoat

Bartender
Hey Doc, what is it made of? I went to the website and saw they had some jackets in goat and some in lamb. The Doctor Who coat isn't specified. Lamb would last me maybe 3 months.

wdw

One Too Many
I've been eyeballing pics of the Schott too.

I had the leather Schott for about 12 years before I sold it on, which I now kinda regret. It aged quite nicely, particularly around the arms, and didn't seem to stay glossy for long. I didn't like the non-zipped inner pockets though. Pricewise in the UK the Schott's nearing Aero territory, so not that tempting if you've seen the light.

Dave E

One of the Regulars
Hey Doc, what is it made of? I went to the website and saw they had some jackets in goat and some in lamb. The Doctor Who coat isn't specified. Lamb would last me maybe 3 months.

I had one of those and I'm confident that it's cow. Pretty much identical leather to the cowhide Indy jacket I've got from them. Good jacket, particularly for the price. Quite heavy. I'd have preferred a different lining, the one I had was satin, I think a cotton lining to give it a bit more warmth would have been good.

Magister

Familiar Face
After some looking around, I have decided that I like the look of Magnoli's offering. It can be had in goatskin or cowhide. I have never had a goatskin jacket, although I understand that this hide has many fine qualities, but I like a thick, heavy leather; my riding jacket is 1.5mm thick cowhide. Is goat too thin?

Last edited:

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Is goat too thin? For what? Goat, like any leather, may be cut thinner or thicker. Magnoli's goat from what I have reaad is probably not all that thick - 2oz? Goat is highly abrasion resistant and one of the toughest leathers available. On A2's and from better jacket makers, the standard thickness is 2.5oz. Thick enough to face anything.

Magister

Familiar Face
Is goat too thin? For what? Goat, like any leather, may be cut thinner or thicker. Magnoli's goat from what I have reaad is probably not all that thick - 2oz? Goat is highly abrasion resistant and one of the toughest leathers available. On A2's and from better jacket makers, the standard thickness is 2.5oz. Thick enough to face anything.

Too thin for my aesthetic tastes, I guess. I have a cowhide motorcycle jacket that is about 1.3mm to 1.5mm thick, and I really like the feel of the heavy leather. I have never handled a quality goat jacket.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner