Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Leatherneck Washing Machine

obxgyrene

New in Town
One of the things that amazes me about the WW-II era is the ingenuity displayed by the guys in uniform to make even mundane tasks interesting.

I learned that on the Marshall Islands (as well as some other places) Leathernecks, SeaBees and AAF personnel constructed wind-powered washing machines using leftover materiel. Because many Pacific islands had a constant breeze, these machines were quite effective--as long as you didn't leave your clothes in too long lest they be turned to rags.

Here are a few photos of these ingenious machines.

mim.jpg

knapp10d.jpg

Lastly, here is a rough sketch of one of them that was constructed with a 55-gallon drum, saw-horses, some wood and threaded pipe.

037-094-01.gif

MPicciotto

Practically Family
You and I both! I might have to cobble up one for the Capital Wing. Though I might scale it back some. Use a 30 gallon drum instead of a 55 gallon.

Matt

cco23i

A-List Customer
I was thinking the same thins as a 55 gallon would be a pain to drag around. (even though we have them for oil and such)

Scott

obxgyrene

New in Town
I'd love to see someone build a functional "Marshall Island Maytag." The thing to remember though is to not limit yourself to the drawing. I have some 1945 movie footage of these things in operation and none of them was the same. Some had six blades, others only had two. One guy even built one with linkage that provided side-to-side agitation like a washing machine of the period rather than the up and down plunger action that was shown in the sketch. You can also use a GI can (garbage can) in lieu of the 55-gallon drum.

obxgyrene

New in Town
Scott: As an aircraft mechanic type, I'm sure with your engineering ability you could come up with a dandy! The one thing though you have to remember is that you must have wind to make it work. There was a constant breeze from the ocean in the Marshall Islands. It would work fine where I live (an island on the Atlantic Ocean), but I'm not sure you will have that kind of wind in Phoenix.

obxgyrene

New in Town
I forgot to mention, if you right click on the last image then select "view image" you can then click on the image to enlarge it to see more detail.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner