Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Leaving home to find work

Phineas Lamour

Practically Family
Like people did during the depression, I will be leaving my family behind to go look for work in another state. I got laid off two months ago and haven't had any luck here finding a job. Monday I will be driving from Florida to Tennessee where the unemployment rates are lower and I have someone to stay with. Let's hope I don't become a hobo.

scooter

Practically Family
My friend, I empathize with you. I got terminated from my job last summer, following an accident after being cut off by another driver. Fortunately for me, after 5 months of negotiations, my union was able to get my job back (take note, Gov. Walker; for all their faults, unions serve a valuable purpose). I hope you can find something soon, and will keep you in my thoughts and prayers.

Tango Yankee

Call Me a Cab
Good luck to you, and congratulations on having the courage do so. :eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap I live in an area of very high unemployment but few people here are willing to leave to find work, even if it's only two hours away in Columbus, Cincinnati, or Dayton.

Take care,
Tom

My mom was born in Denmark in March of 1928. At 15 during WWII she left home and eventually traveled to Sweden to find work. I don't have a lot of details but she said that during that time people did travel to find work.

Desert_Rat

New in Town
In his book "Education of a Wandering Man" Louis L'Amour talks about how during the Great Depression groups of young men would follow the grain harvest across the midwest to earn money. I almost wonder if we will not be seeing more people following jobs again......

randooch

I'll Lock Up
Like people did during the depression, I will be leaving my family behind to go look for work in another state. I got laid off two months ago and haven't had any luck here finding a job. Monday I will be driving from Florida to Tennessee where the unemployment rates are lower and I have someone to stay with. Let's hope I don't become a hobo.

Your courage and willingness to make changes will pay off. Stay light on your feet, and best of chance your way.

MikeBravo

One Too Many

Good luck to you. Things still seem pretty tough over there

If you have to be a hobo, at least be a well dressed one ;)

Phineas Lamour

Practically Family
I went to Tennessee for a while but I had to come back to Florida. Have a job prospect there, will find out in a week or two. Hopefully I get it. Still no luck locally.:eusa_doh:

Phineas Lamour

Practically Family
Good luck to you. Things still seem pretty tough over there

If you have to be a hobo, at least be a well dressed one ;)

Halloween 2009
IMG_4772.jpg

Puzzicato

One Too Many
I went to Tennessee for a while but I had to come back to Florida. Have a job prospect there, will find out in a week or two. Hopefully I get it. Still no luck locally.:eusa_doh:

Hope it works out!

After being unemployed for 18 months, my husband ended up getting a job up north - he's away from Monday to Friday. And I now appreciate the drover's wife's lament "Friday night too tired, Saturday night too drunk, Sunday too far away".

Fly Boy

One of the Regulars
I moved 500 miles for work in December. Fortunately, that contract just finished so I'm working back home again! It was very difficult leaving all my friends, my parents, and the lady behind for such a stretch. Hated it, despite the higher salary.

J.B.

Practically Family
Just wanted to acknowledge your staunch resolve in seeking work. Best Wishes & Highest Regards!

Best wishes. I had gotten a job after being out of work for nearly a year that was commission sales that was the biggest scam ever plus no benefits. Then I got a job from January to March and got laid off because their sales slumped and did not work long enough for unemployment.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy