Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Lee's Water block

Art Fawcett

Sponsoring Affiliate
Nick, Welcome to the Lounge
The earliest "Lee's" I have seen are from the late 30s or early 40s so I have to assume they started around that time based only on what I have seen. they were one of the biggest manufacturers and among other brands make Penny's Marathon. Yes, they were bought out at around the same time as Stetson

Art

Nick Charles

Practically Family
How to age

Art,

Is there really a way you can date a hat? I have one Lee and the sweatband was too dry when it tried it on and the whole thing tore out. Is there some little hint on each hat to date it with or is it just style and overall appearance?

Art Fawcett

Sponsoring Affiliate
It's mostly style and appearance Nick. There are SOME archives ( most notably Borsalino) bu tmost have vanished after the takover frenzy of the late 60s- early 70s. With decent information and some real close scrutiny it's not all that hard to date hats within a range. I get fooled occasionaly, as does everyone, but for the most part you can tell by style. Save the leather, it might give more clues.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jusa80