Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Lemme see that drape esse - authentic zoot suit pics

Guttersnipe

One Too Many
Love 'em or hate 'em, zoot suit were a fixture of the golden era - at least for a while - and had a significant cultural impact that lasts far past their hay day.

Here's some period pics I've found floating around the internets. Sorry for the, sometimes, poor quality. Everybody feel free to post pics of your own, but no reproductions please.

This one is pretty famous - and iconic, if you ask me!
l_hist00051_zoot_suit01.jpg

Look at that bow tie!
577174.jpg

zootsuit194.jpg

img377.jpg

Guttersnipe

One Too Many
African-Americans is zoot suits:

I know there was the so called "Harlem" style zoot suit. I'm not sure if any of these qualify as examples, but they sure are cool!

zoot2.gif

Zootsuit.jpg

img404.jpg

Guttersnipe

One Too Many
Don't feel left out ladies:

See girls got in on the action to!
escobedo_fig01b.jpg

It looks like this girl is wearing her fella's coat:
escobedo_fig03b.jpg

These ladies in this photo were identified as the girlfriends of zooters. They have a style unto themselves:
img429.jpg

img430.jpg

Guttersnipe

One Too Many
Tough times for the zooters

These photos are from the "yellow press" coverage of the "Sleepy Lagoon" trial and "Zoot Wars"
slwar10.jpg

img432.jpg

Sorry for the grainy quality, but what's really interesting here is this fella is wearing a striped t-shirt with his suit - very cool!
p91.gif

How to make a drape look not cool!
soldier-inspecting-a-couple-of-zoot.jpg

thunderw21

I'll Lock Up
Is the zoot suit in any way related to the later Bold Look? Some of these zoot jackets look like the Bold Look, only longer.

Guttersnipe

One Too Many
Interesting point thundrew21

I honestly don't know the answer. But looking at some of these photos, it does seem like you can see a hint of the bold look's characteristic "wedge silhouette."

I think there is sometimes a tendency to think that fashion designers pulled the bold look "out of the ether" in 1946 so to speak, but if you look at Apparel arts from the '41-45 range, it seems to me, you can really see an evolutionary process going that direction.

Here's some examples of the drape influencing period pop-culture:

Art imitating life or life imitating art?
zoot-suit.gif

The nose art on a B-24E:
8-Ball_ZootSuit2-custom.jpg

This guy's suit isn't exactly a drape, but it definitely has a zootish flavor:
50482768.jpg

resortes805

Call Me a Cab
I can take a look and see if any I have any new period photos. Some of the ones posted (anything tinged red) are actually pics that I scanned years ago.

I recently picked up a series of vintage zoot suit advertising posters; I may be reproducing them for sale.

Guttersnipe

One Too Many
Here's some more images:

These two dejected looking guys just had their clothes slashed - probably by military personnel or police officers:
85374830.jpg

This a picture another, again, from the negative media coverage of the so-called "zoot riots," or "Sleepy Lagoon" murder. These are some of the many girls who were rounded up for questioning:
escobedo_fig02b.jpg

Guttersnipe

One Too Many
I'd love to see more photos, if you've them. What I've posted so far represents all I've ever been able to find in much internet goofing-off time. If you end up reproducing those advertising posters I'll buy on for sure!

resortes805 said:
I can take a look and see if any I have any new period photos. Some of the ones posted (anything tinged red) are actually pics that I scanned years ago.

I recently picked up a series of vintage zoot suit advertising posters; I may be reproducing them for sale.

reetpleat

Call Me a Cab
Great pics. makes you realize two things. Firstly, the real zoot suits have very very very very little in common with the monstrosities made by certain companies that shall remain nameless, ones that claim to use actual patterns or patterns from real pieces. In their defense, perhaps, they may have used ones from much later 50s era zoot suits, which still existed kind of, and wre much more influenced by the bold look of the time, gaberdine fabrics etc. While the true zoot suiters of LA etc were wearing heavier fabrics and not such loos cuts. Over sized, yes, but snug around the torso.

The hter thing that must be realized is that while some tailors actually made and sold zoot suits, especially on the east coast, most Latino "zoot suiters" were wearing big pants pegged at the bottom, and dad's old suit jacket, narrowed in the waist.

From the looks of it, most of these jackets are not tailored long jackets. Not on the latinos anyway. And it stands to reason. Most were quite poor and even a used jacket was likely a sizable investment.

reetpleat

Call Me a Cab
Oh, and as for the girl with the guy in the sweater, look at the buttons. Girl's coat. She is straight up pachuca for sure.

Guttersnipe

One Too Many
Good eye! When I found that I was trying to decide if I thought it was his or hers; I assumed it was his because the sleeves are so long. I totally forgot about the buttons!

reetpleat said:
Oh, and as for the girl with the guy in the sweater, look at the buttons. Girl's coat. She is straight up pachuca for sure.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner