Let’s see your vintage calendars!

Discussion in 'The Display Case' started by vitanola, Jan 4, 2020.

1. vitanola

vitanola I'll Lock Up

For years I’ve enjoyed using old calendars which correspond to the current year. 2020 is mighty slim pickings, for it matches but four years in the last century: 1992, 1964, 1936, and 1908.
    The wall calendar in my office is an unused 1936 Dionne Quintuplets calendar.

3fingers likes this.
  2. 3fingers

3fingers One Too Many

I only have a couple and they aren't all that old. One from a relative of my wife's general store from the early 1960s I believe and one from the grocery store in our little village here from sometime in that time frame.
    What I do have is calendar plates given by local businesses in the early part of the last century. I will try to get a couple of photographs to share.

3. Nobert

Nobert Practically Family

Is that with one of the Andrew Loomis illustrations?

vitanola likes this.
  4. vitanola

vitanola I'll Lock Up

5DA704F3-1E68-402C-922C-6852852D248C.jpeg
    No. Just the “approved” photograph released by Dafoe.

I have a couple of the 1937 calendars in the same format, which show the Quints a year older to put out next year. I haven’t found one for 1938 yet.

5. Nobert

Nobert Practically Family

Ah, I only ask because I have this one from 1950 (sorry for the quality, or lack therof).

Dionne 2.png

Dionne 3.png

Loomis also painted the Quints every year, presumably before the fraternal five decided they were fed up with being a national passtime and told the public eye to go gaze at itself.

Attached Files:

vitanola likes this.
  6. Edward Reed

Edward Reed New in Town

I have two complete Miles Weather Calendars with advertisements for vitamins and medicines. These were mailed to and given away to customers from your local pharmacy. one came with the original mailing envelope. The half round hang card is inserted in the middle of the calendar through an open slit at the top. the weather predictions of course weren't scientific and were generic enough to be the usual 50% chance of being correct. lol! interestingly enough though it was taken seriously enough to as not had any weather predictions made and posted on the 1943 calendar for security reasons Stating; 'The United States Government Army and Navy War Departments have requested that all weather predictions be withdrawn for the "duration of the war" as they might be of service to the enemy. Therefore this calendar does not give any weather predictions.' :D
    IMG_8333.JPG IMG_8334.JPG IMG_8335.JPG IMG_8337.JPG IMG_8338.JPG IMG_8339.JPG IMG_8340.JPG

3fingers likes this.
  7. Edward Reed

Edward Reed New in Town

here is the weather predictions for the month (a prediction monthly for the entire year of 1942 as if they could actually do so !... quite amusing! (I couldn't get it all in one shot so had to merge 3 pics into one sorry for the sloppy photoshop merge)
    weatherpredict.jpg