Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Let's Kill Hitler

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
O.K. so now, it is clear from reading every single opinion posted so far, Hitler was not someone that would make any of us, a "happy camper". So, who kills him and how? Drop a toaster in his bath while he was playing with his rubber ducky, or....have a guy playing the violin use a stashed away in the case, hand gun?

I have often wondered had Hitler actually been captured, would he have been beaten, or survived being taken until being brought before a Court? Without any doubt in my thinking, Hitler was one very not welcomed or liked guy! I struggle to think how someone would sure want it to be "curtains" for him swiftly!

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
I agree with Lizzie. Had the Russians captured him, I think it highly unlikely that he would've survived to see a trial, and would likely have been killed, either by his own hand, or by those of the Russians.

I seem to recall reading somewhere that Churchill wanted the Yanks to bring over one of their newfangled 'electric chairs' to England during the War. Should Hitler be arrested, he wanted him to be executed in that manner.

sheeplady

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I seem to recall reading somewhere that Churchill wanted the Yanks to bring over one of their newfangled 'electric chairs' to England during the War. Should Hitler be arrested, he wanted him to be executed in that manner.

Electric chairs weren't that new by WWII... the first electric chair execution was in 1890 in Auburn NY. So we had 50 years experience of that method of execution by WWII.

I only know this because
A. I live 30 minutes from Auburn and there is still a maximum security prison there and
B. the old timers there say the even older timers say the lights dimmed in town when they used the chair and
C. I've been told B is categorically not true but
D. I was told this as a child and it has always stuck with me and
E. I remember it even moreso now that I know the stories about light dimming are false.

So those are reasons A through E that I know when and where a method of execution was introduced.

Last edited:

rjb1

Practically Family
I think that the average Russian soldier would have shot Hitler on the spot, but if the political Commissars could have gotten him alive they would have been glad to do so.
The Soviets were big on show trials and political theater, and they would have put on a spectacle with Hitler that would have made Nuremberg look tame (which it was for the most part).
He would have died very unpleasantly later, but not until after all the propaganda advantage had been squeezed out.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
I think that the average Russian soldier would have shot Hitler on the spot, but if the political Commissars could have gotten him alive they would have been glad to do so.
The Soviets were big on show trials and political theater, and they would have put on a spectacle with Hitler that would have made Nuremberg look tame (which it was for the most part).
He would have died very unpleasantly later, but not until after all the propaganda advantage had been squeezed out.

The trick then would have been keeping him from cheating the hangman the way Fat Hermann did.

That said, though, it would have been quite a spectacle to see Marshal Zhukov driving down the Unter den Linden with der Fuehrer's head for a hood ornament.

Horace Debussy Jones

A-List Customer
There were no less than 26 or so REAL attempts to assassinate him from about 1934 on. Probably many more that went unnoticed and undocumented. He was meant to play the role in history that he did, for the allotted time period. There were unseen forces working behind the scenes as it were, which allowed him to go as far as he did.
He was decorated for bravery in world war 1 for being a runner I believe. Braving enemy fire to deliver messages in the trenches when phone lines were destroyed.
He was also aware of the "protection" he received, and related the story of how one day he was just idly having lunch with his mates, when "something" urged him to get up and move away from his friends. He heeded the urging, and moments later a shell came down and killed everyone that had been sitting in that spot! He was indeed part of a larger plan, but not in the way he had deluded himself into believing. Many attempts were made upon his life, but none succeeded until he had played out his loathsome part.
O.K. so now, it is clear from reading every single opinion posted so far, Hitler was not someone that would make any of us, a "happy camper". So, who kills him and how? Drop a toaster in his bath while he was playing with his rubber ducky, or....have a guy playing the violin use a stashed away in the case, hand gun?

I have often wondered had Hitler actually been captured, would he have been beaten, or survived being taken until being brought before a Court? Without any doubt in my thinking, Hitler was one very not welcomed or liked guy! I struggle to think how someone would sure want it to be "curtains" for him swiftly!

Stanley Doble

Call Me a Cab
A biography of Hitler I read recently said there were 2 kinds of messengers at that time. Dispatch riders who went to the front lines and messenger boys who served in the rear echelons, far from the front. Hitler was the latter and was in no danger from enemy fire.

It further stated, that these messengers were organized in squads of six and it was customary to be promoted to squad leader after six months of service. Hitler was always passed over for promotion though he served for 2 years.

The story about moving to avoid a shell smells of propaganda to me, like King Alfred and the cakes or Newton and the apple.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner