Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Let's Retire These Movie/TV Plots!

carebear

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Guy has to pretend to be his buddy to fool someone, though it usually works out.

School of Rock, Bad Boys, Roxanne (though at least they cite Cyrano), any number of teen comedies.

(I'm giving Shakepeare a pass because he's old skool :D )

The Wolf

Call Me a Cab
Darn it, Charlie H., you ruined the ending! lol
I think it is interesting when an American movie is going to made about samurai, Navajo code talkers, etc. but the main character is a white guy. I assume that is so we have someone "we" can relate to. I think I can handle a movie with an indian as a lead and not get confused. It has worked before (and i don't mean Charles Bronson).;)

Sincerely,
the Wolf

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
...Or this one:
The dumb, lazy recruits gets a new staffsergeant - straight from the front somewhere. He gives them a hard time. They train and do exercises, and finaly they are sent to some frontline......where they fail totally.
lol

LeeB

Familiar Face
It must be remembered that movies/TV scripts are contrived. The individuals who write these rarely have any experience or expertise on the subjects they put into these scripts and must rely on supposed "experts" in these various subjects. The experts have a vested interest in making that subject interesying or exciting in some way to pull in tose willing to pay for such insight. A perfect example is how computer hackers/hacking are shown in movies. It's given a very glitzy, exciting face with some amazing graphics displayed for the firewalls and security programs to be broken. Unfortunately, as with many things in life, the reality is just not that glamorous. Having worked in the IT field for about 18 years, I know that for a fact.
For these reasons we will never see any reality in movie or TV scripts. Reality, in most cases, does not lend itself to exciting programming. That is why most movies/TV dramatizing actual event use terms like "dramatization" or "based on". Those are the buzzwords for ramping up the event to make it more interesting. Life is not a movie/TV and movies/TV are not life.

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
A little off topic but in the same vein, let's retire the DVD covers with butts, boobs and spraddled legs. I was in the video store the other day and half the comedies had that kind of cover (as do most suspense movies). What's funny or scary about some girl's rear end?

One more reason to go to the classics section.

Rosie

One Too Many
BeBopBaby said:
I hate when a tv show starts to slip in ratings and they introduce the spunky, young, cute kid to make the ratings go up. I'm not a big fan of insipid uber cute child actors. Cousin Oliver, Scrappy-Do, Olivia, etc. can all return to the land of mediocrity for all I care. lol

lol @ Scrappy-Do! I forgot about him lol

I hate the plot where the main character sings. There has to a be a talent show, tryout or religious event and we get to see the "real talent" of the star. That one is soooo old.

Feraud

Bartender
Paisley said:
A little off topic but in the same vein, let's retire the DVD covers with butts, boobs and spraddled legs. I was in the video store the other day and half the comedies had that kind of cover (as do most suspense movies). What's funny or scary about some girl's rear end?

One more reason to go to the classics section.
Similarly, let us retire dvd covers with the words UNRATED VERSION splashed across them. We are not being fooled into thinking there is anything significant in these sad adolescent teen comedies. :rolleyes:

LeeB

Familiar Face
My biggest gripe with the whole of Hollywood and the movie/TV business in general can be summed up in two points:

1. Actors get paid millions for pretending! Essentially doing what our kids do every day. And ...

2. They take themselves too darned seriously and insist that we do the same.

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
Feraud said:
Similarly, let us retire dvd covers with the words UNRATED VERSION splashed across them. We are not being fooled into thinking there is anything significant in these sad adolescent teen comedies. :rolleyes:

Director's Cut! Same thing. Most movies need to be edited, not expanded.

BegintheBeguine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Sure it's a play, Lamont Sanford

Is this on here? I can't remember:

The person in the next room or outside of the window (CALL 911, already!) overhears something compromising. Turns out the people overheard are practicing lines from a play! Now, my housemate was a theatre major. Why did we never get up to these hijinks? Think of the hilarity and misunderstandings.

BegintheBeguine said:
Is this on here? I can't remember:

The person in the next room or outside of the window (CALL 911, already!) overhears something compromising. Turns out the people overheard are practicing lines form a play! Now, my housemate was a theatre major. Why did we never get up to these hijinks? Think of the hilarity and misunderstandings.

Sounds like just about every episode of Three's Company. :eusa_doh: :p

Regards,

J

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Feraud said:

Actually, I go for the unrated/directors cut versions of moobies. I hate ratings on moobies. These are generally edited a bit differently with whatever content kept them form getting that PG or PG-13 in the first place. There is a new director's cut of the original (Staring Chris Reeve) of Superman that I hear is fantastic.

I find a lot of modern foreign horror with the unrated stamp. Mmmm goood stuff for a corny flick ;)

On an ironic note to my above post, I got another thing to get rid of. Comic Book movies.
I love comics, I dig movies, but Im full up on them at the same time.

LD

Matt Crunk

One Too Many
Nathan Dodge said:
How about having a suspected suicide actually be a suicide, rather than murder. That would put many 1970s detectives out of business, however, and we all know that Frank Cannon and Dr. Quincy need the work...

Actually, I've seen a couple of shows recently (I think is was one of the CSI shows, but there are so many on nowadays I get them confused) that did just that: the suicide/suspected murder turned out to be a suicide after all.

-MC

The Wolf

Call Me a Cab
Let's get rid of the story with the killer not being the person who's prints are all over the scene and is found holding the weapon. It is usually the least suspected person.
I noticed some filmmakers have tried to make differences. I have seen two films in which the underdogs make it to the big game and don't win. Dodgeball actually spoofs that conceit.

:eek:fftopic: "Hey, I just bought the movie."
"Oh, now I need to get the extended cut with extra footage."
"The director's cut is out now. It has new behind the scenes footage."
"Now that the sequel is out they realeased 1.5 on video incorporating more footage."
"Crud, the 10th anniversary disc is coming out.":eusa_doh:

There's more variations but you get the point.

Sincerely,
The Wolf

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou