Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Let's Retire These Movie/TV Plots!

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Vampires, seriously.
Can we stop with the vampires, already? I am so sick of vampire movies, tv shows, video games, comic books, novels, bubble gum trading cards...
Its beyond overdone, its just sad now.

LD

Lady Day said:
Vampires, seriously. Can we stop with the vampires, already? I am so sick of vampire movies, tv shows, video games, comic books, novels, bubble gum trading cards... Its beyond overdone, its just sad now. LD

I am tired of the James Dean, Teenaged Angst, we're just like everybody else vampires that follow none of the vampire rules movies. Gag me with a spoon over done.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
It's time to get rid of the one where the cute-but-clueless young blonde falls inexplicably in love with the whining, cantankerous old neurotic. Yes, I'm talking to *you* Woody Allen. You're not fooling anybody by having Larry David play you.

A movie where Woody Allen turns into a whining angsty vampire, on the other hand -- that I could get behind.

Chasseur

Call Me a Cab
Why oh why does EVERY female lead in a drame/action TV series have to be a secret ninja-karate-kung-fu master, that is revealed in the pilot in the same way...

Scary big bad guy (we know this since he's in a black leather jacket, has facial hair and maybe some visable tattoos) comes up to surprise the heroine, and we are thinking, "oh no watch out!" He reaches to grab her, but surprise surprise she preempts his attack with a jump snap kick to the head (well actually not her, it cuts to a either a small male stunt double with a wig shot from behind or a much more muscular female stunt double), the baddie stumbles back but she follows up with a few roundhouse kicks to the head (of course while wearing a mini-skirt so you she can show her legs off) or maybe a spinning crecent kick and he goes down, and we think, "Wow what a surprise she can fight I've only seen that in "Lois and Clark," "Bones," "Warehouse 13," etc.

Its really getting as bad as the creature burping after eating something/one, or the kid peeing when his/her diaper is off... etc...

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
John in Covina said:
I am tired of the James Dean, Teenaged Angst, we're just like everybody else vampires that follow none of the vampire rules movies. Gag me with a spoon over done.

Sure, those too, but Im still in favor of all vampires. The genera is over reaped. Just give it a few years. No one is bringing a new twist to the genera. Its just attractive young pale people so wrought with their desire to kill. Living lavishly and destined to be alone. Oh, I feel their pain *yawn*
And why do they always act like the mafia?

LD

Roquentin

New in Town
For once I want to see everyone die except for the dog.

On this topic, who here knows the site TV Tropes? It's literally chock-full of all the ploys used in TV, books, films, etc, from the oldest tricks in the book to the latest Hollywood bandwagons. It's hours of fun, but I should warn you- it will ruin your life. :p

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
LizzieMaine said:
It's time to get rid of the one where the cute-but-clueless young blonde falls inexplicably in love with the whining, cantankerous old neurotic.

I'm with you 100%, but until more women are in charge of making movies, we'll keep seeing old men's fantasies.

get_atomized

One of the Regulars
Roquentin said:
For once I want to see everyone die except for the dog.

On this topic, who here knows the site TV Tropes? It's literally chock-full of all the ploys used in TV, books, films, etc, from the oldest tricks in the book to the latest Hollywood bandwagons. It's hours of fun, but I should warn you- it will ruin your life. :p
When I saw the thread title, I immediately popped over here to recommend TV Tropes! Like you said though, it seriously can consume hours of useful time. Very fun site! I like the way it is structured/edited, too, very laidback.

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
Lady Day said:
Vampires, seriously.
Can we stop with the vampires, already? I am so sick of vampire movies, tv shows, video games, comic books, novels, bubble gum trading cards...

LD

Completely and totally agree with you.

J.L. Picard

One of the Regulars
LizzieMaine said:
It's time to get rid of the one where the cute-but-clueless young blonde falls inexplicably in love with the whining, cantankerous old neurotic. Yes, I'm talking to *you* Woody Allen. You're not fooling anybody by having Larry David play you.

A movie where Woody Allen turns into a whining angsty vampire, on the other hand -- that I could get behind.

Lizzie,

I absolutely love the idea of Woody as a "whining angsty vampire"..Brilliant!

... Now as far as the "cute-but-clueless young blonde " let's not be so fast there...lol lol lol

Does anyone else here remember when vampires were Real Bad News things to be feared that took brave and slightly crazy sorts like Dr. Van Helsing to put down, not whiny little emo punks who only differ from your typical teen-angst character in their fangs?:rolleyes:

Okay, rant over.

Not plot but continuity: With the advent of digital graphics, when you twits in Hollyweird are using file-footage, can you at least try to digitally retouch it a little so it's not glaringly obvious that, say, that F-14 flying around isn't a reuse of footage from Top Gun? And can we dispense with Basil Poledouris's Hymn to Red October as some kind of substitute Soviet National Anthem already too? Thank you... (Don't get me wrong, HTRO is a good piece, and it has a nice "feel" for a Russian tune, but the lyrics make no sense--"Goodbye, Motherland" is an attitude of a Russian headed to exile, not war--as a national anthem or military music.)

Oops, spoke too fast... now, Rant Over.
----------------
Now playing: John Barry - Gunbarrel/Exercise At Gibraltar
via FoxyTunes

Matt Crunk

One Too Many
Lady Day said:
Vampires, seriously.

LD

AMEN! I used to love vampire stories - books, films, you name it . . . read Dracula multiple times as a teen (my favorite book) but this was all back before the undead were so hip and trendy. Once pop culture gets hold of something, it (pardon the pun) sucks the life blood right out it.

Still wish Tim Burton would remake Dracula (going by the book) with the same sense of style he used on Sleepy Hollow.

The Wolf

Call Me a Cab
Remember vampires are beautiful, young looking romantics that are protectors. It's not like they are souless monsters.:eusa_doh:

However, as long as peoplekeep watching those shows and movies Hollywood is going to keep cranking them out.:(

Sincerely,
The Wolf

HadleyH

I'll Lock Up
Good policeman against power-hungry politicians, gangsters, killers, etc...

The story is a little bit jaded, you know what I'm saying? [huh]

(and so.... now that's it.... there are no more plots left to be made ... lol )

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot