Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Lets see some Pics of you wearing your Aeros

Peacoat

Bartender
See the thread by Libby, "More Help Please Guys" for a similar discussion.

It depends on the person wearing the jacket. For me it is above 45 with only a light shirt underneath. Others go much lower. Of course the time outside and the activity level are big factors. If I'm going to the car and then out of the car to the office, maybe upper 20s with a light shirt underneath. If I'm outside for about 30 minutes, with little activity below 45 or so, I need a sweater or a vest underneath.

Also the amount of excess natural insulation plays a big part. I don't have much excess, so I have to add to it. Don't think of Aero's alpaca as a cold weather jacket liner, and you should be OK. It is very thin so as to cut down on bulk, but it is also warm for its thickness.

eClairvaux

One of the Regulars
Natural insulation plays a role ("bioprene") and so does training. I have watched a guy unload a truck full of aluminum beer kegs in shorts and without gloves (!) in Whitehorse, Yukon Territory at -22 F (yes Fahrenheit).

I am wearing my cotton lined highwayman at temps down to +14 F (-10 C) with a thin primaloft vest, a thin sweater and a shirt underneath.

I feel it offers very good weather protection and the snow and rain helps with breaking it in quickly. Actually after wearing for three months, I have started worrying about wearing it out too fast :)

And another hint: I have often found that the single most important temperature regulating garment is a scarf! Barring the natural exit for the trapped heat helps in keeping you warm more than another layer underneath the jacket.

libby

New in Town
Hi Friend,
Any reason why you didn't opt for the alpaca lining? Especially in your neck of the woods. I too have just ordered a FQHH cordovan Highwayman with a black cotton lining. I live in the UK where i dont suppose it gets as cold as it does in your part of the world. I hope i have made the right decision. what are your overall impressions of your Highwayman so far. Was it money well spent? Hope you dont mind me asking all these questions.

1911 Man

A-List Customer
miles_archer said:
What is the comfortable temperature range for the barnstormer with Alpaca lining? Thanks.

I ordered my Barnstormer with tartan wool lining. I don't know if it is warmer than alpaca, but I understand it is more durable. I have worn it outdoors for extended periods in 10-20 F comfortably, but I usually layer underneath with a wool sweater or poly / wool thermal.

miles_archer

Familiar Face
Very helpful

Thanks all. I am thinking about ordering a Barnstormer as a lighter weight alternative to my B-3. I think it would be a more unusual alternative to an A-2 or cafe racer jacket but a comparable temperature range.

eClairvaux

One of the Regulars
libby said:
Hi Friend,
Any reason why you didn't opt for the alpaca lining? Especially in your neck of the woods. I too have just ordered a FQHH cordovan Highwayman with a black cotton lining. I live in the UK where i dont suppose it gets as cold as it does in your part of the world. I hope i have made the right decision. what are your overall impressions of your Highwayman so far. Was it money well spent? Hope you dont mind me asking all these questions.

hi Libby,

not sure if your questions were directed at me, but here you go anyway :p
I don't live in Yukon Territory, I was just there a few years ago. But it does also get quite cold here in Munich/Bavaria.
I have the cotton lining, because I bought it used (but not really used at all) from Aero.
I am really happy with my Highwayman, I am wearing it all the time. It feels great, I get compliments from the right people all the time and it is surprisingly versatile, both in terms of natural and social circumstances. This and my Lewis Leathers Boots and a pair of Red Wings were how I got started into this winter and I am really happy with all three purchases.

hope that helps, cheers

Daniel

libby

New in Town
Hi eClairvaux,
Thanks for the reply friend. i just got to wait eight weeks until my jacket gets delivered. i hope im not dissapointed when it finally arrives.

Lear

One of the Regulars
libby said:
Hi Friend,

Sounds interesting - cordovan with black cotton lining.

My opinion is that for the South of England, cotton lining is adequate. If you live in the North of England, then you might get a little more use from alpaca.

With alpaca, I'd have got about three weeks of colder weather benefit the jacket. That's even with the deluge of snow we had a few weeks back. Hardly worth it really.

My next Aero will also have cotton lining. If I ever purchased a third - let me make it absolutely clear that this will never happen; two Aero's is enough for anyone - then it would be a dedicated cold weather coat (probably a Mariner) with worsted wool lining.

Lear

Windward

Practically Family
Lear said:
Sounds interesting - cordovan with black cotton lining.

My opinion is that for the South of England, cotton lining is adequate. If you live in the North of England, then you might get a little more use from alpaca.

With alpaca, I'd have got about three weeks of colder weather benefit the jacket. That's even with the deluge of snow we had a few weeks back. Hardly worth it really.

My next Aero will also have cotton lining. If I ever purchased a third - let me make it absolutely clear that this will never happen; two Aero's is enough for anyone - then it would be a dedicated cold weather coat (probably a Mariner) with worsted wool lining.

Lear

Hi Lear
if some would ask me I would say "All Good Things Are Three" !
One Black it's a MUST HAVE - the second is a BROWN because nothing aged like brown FQHH after years - and the third is a outstanding cordovan for example with black alpaca and fur collar for the colder weather which look awesome. With this "three" I would be complete!!!!!!
I was told that there are three thing a man should do in his life:
To built a house - to plant a tree - and make a child. IMHO

Windward

Practically Family
jaxx said:
Hey guys im tired of searching trying to find people wearing there aeros to see how they fit. so i decided to dedicate a thread so it would be easier to find. so lets see those aeros and yall wearing them.
here are a few of my highwayman

Here are my Windward in Vintage Black FQHH purchased February 2007

Windward48NEWVintageBlackFRONT.jpg

Windward Vintage black after 1/12 years:

DSC02640.jpg

Windward front cordovan:

KopievonWindward4446Cordovanfront.jpg

Windward back cordovan:

KopievonWindward4446CordovanBACK.jpg

Lear

One of the Regulars
Windward said:
Hi Lear
if some would ask me I would say "All Good Things Are Three" !
One Black it's a MUST HAVE - the second is a BROWN because nothing aged like brown FQHH after years - and the third is a outstanding cordovan for example with black alpaca and fur collar for the colder weather which look awesome. With this "three" I would be complete!!!!!!
I was told that there are three thing a man should do in his life:
To built a house - to plant a tree - and make a child. IMHO

I agree with everything you say Windward. I'm just worried that I might be on a slippery slope to FQHH overindulgence :eek:

Those are very helpful pics of cordovan and black, for anyone considering such colours.

I find cordovan to be unique, in the way it seems to change to brown under artificial light.

But please, don't let me interrupt the flow of this thread, that is supposed to be about pictures.

Carry on with the pics folks...

Gijoe

A-List Customer
1930 Halfbelt in Cordovan
farbigerreportkopie1.jpg

Stockeman in Brown.

Aeros are expensive and the Leather a bit inflexible, but a Aero holds a lifetime and looks great.

Windward

Practically Family
Lear said:
I agree with everything you say Windward. I'm just worried that I might be on a slippery slope to FQHH overindulgence :eek:

Those are very helpful pics of cordovan and black, for anyone considering such colours.

I find cordovan to be unique, in the way it seems to change to brown under artificial light.

But please, don't let me interrupt the flow of this thread, that is supposed to be about pictures.

Carry on with the pics folks...

Thanks for your kind words Lear.
With AERO Leather in cordovan I wear my Alden in shell cordovan and it corresponds perfect.

Windward

Practically Family
Gijoe said:
1930 Halfbelt in Cordovan
farbigerreportkopie1.jpg

Stockeman in Brown.

Aeros are expensive and the Leather a bit inflexible, but a Aero holds a lifetime and looks great.

Very nice and classical jackets - congrats. Thanks for sharing.
A lifetime jacket with this incredible quality worth every cent / penny . . .

jaxx

New in Town
very nice aeros guys. but one question. how far do yalls sleeves come down to. mine hit a little above my thumb knuckle if ya know what im talking about haha. where do yalls hit at?

Gijoe

A-List Customer
jaxx said:
very nice aeros guys. but one question. how far do yalls sleeves come down to. mine hit a little above my thumb knuckle if ya know what im talking about haha. where do yalls hit at?
Yes , its not a dress jacket !
Mine ends around 1 Inche over the Tumb knuckle. I think thats the correct length for a Driver Jacket.

Windward

Practically Family
jamespibworth@n said:
Gijoe, what great photos!!

Is it a studio or are you cleaver with Photoshop?
Love the old camera.

Thinking of a Fedora hat myself now!!

James.

Hi James, thanks for sharing !!!
This is VERY NICE jacket and the brown FQHH looks AWESOME!!! Congrats for your "Headturner"!

Windward
[/B]

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn