Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Let's see your mechanical watches

Dr Roly

New in Town
I think the other thread is for vintage watches. There are still a few modern hand-winders out there, and I thought it might be interesting to see them.

Left to right: '50s vintage Bulova, Poljot "Shturmanskie" chronograph, Slava 1980 Olympic watch.

10329954_295515727290759_5552954598774571209_o.jpg

Nyah

One of the Regulars
Well before I discovered the Fedora Lounge, I'd been looking to get a mechanical watch. Not out of a desire for vintage style but for utility. I don't think I ever found anything suitable.

What companies currently make mechanical watches? Are there any that stay below the jewelry (Rolex, etc) realm?

Last edited:
Well before I discovered the Fedora Lounge, I'd been looking to get a mechanical watch. Not out of a desire for vintage style but for utility. I don't think I ever found anything suitable.

What companies currently make mechanical watches? Are there any that stay below the jewelry (Rolex, etc) realm?

Pretty much all the major watch manufacturers make mechanical watches. You can get them for around $100, far below higher end "jewelry" watches.

And out of curiosity, what kind of utility are you looking for in a watch?

GHT

I'll Lock Up
Stauer do a number of quartz watches but their main market is very, very accurate reproductions. They are good, and I have no moans about their quality, oh but do they ever not leave you alone once you have made a purchase? I have blocked their texts and emails, but they still mail me by post, even though every letter gets returned: "Not known at this address." Beware.

gwold

New in Town

Take a wander through the Watchuseek forum: http://forums.watchuseek.com/forum.php. Give yourself a long weekend, just to get started.

Foxer55

A-List Customer
Two of my favorites.

My 50 year old Rolex GMT Master that I got in Europe oh so many years ago.

Rolex good.jpg

A more recent acquisition, a Tudor stainless and gold chronograph. I also have one of these in stainless only. This one actually needs a slightly darker band.

Tudoir Gold 2.jpg

viclip

Practically Family

What price range are you considering?

Talbot

One Too Many
Consider a Hamilton Khaki Automatic in your search. I have two - a black military dial and a silver dial. Quality is good and they are reasonably priced on eBay. I feel they are attractive without being showy or blingy, and they have an American heritage - sort of.

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
Have you considered a good old vintage Timex? I got this one for free, just added a band. It keeps good enough time, since you wind it every morning. I actually get complements, and lots of people remember the old John Cameron Swayze commercials!
IMG_4213.jpg
[video=youtube;HVatUaplyVU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HVatUaplyVU[/video]

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk