Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Lets see your Rolex watches

filfoster

One Too Many
Not vintage but I went out and bought three in '04, two for myself, a stainless datejust with plain bezel, white face and Roman numerals; same in stainless and gold and then that model for the Mrs. so I could sleep inside. It was surprising how much the dealer was willing to discount when I threatened a hissy fit.
Good thing I got them then. Our company stock was flying high and paid a luxurious dividend that is now, like the share price, a shadow of what it was. At least we still have snazzy watches.

Funny, re-reading this post just now, I realize what a selfish popinjay (moderator edited original term denoting illigitimate birth) I am.

Last edited:

kyboots

Practically Family
Like you, I bought my first Rolex in the '90s, 1998. I happened into a Rolex dealer's shop when I lived in Denver, and he had a late '70s no-date Sub, the 5513 model -- though I didn't know much about the model numbers then. I wore it for a couple of minutes and said, "I've wanted one of these since I was 12. Let's do it." And $1400 later, I brought it home. Wore it that weekend dancing, auto-crossing, and hiking. Still wear it every day.

The second was from the same shop in 2000. I'd been seeing this early '70s Date with a gray dial and black strap in his showcase for about a year. Finally, Christmas was coming, and I was recovering from a cold. I said, "Scruit," went down, found it still there, and made a deal for cash. It's on my wrist as I write -- now with a sapphire blue dial from Rolex Service a couple of years ago, and an aftermarket Jubilee bracelet.

I had a new 01 President with date and blue dial. It was beautiful, but with the price of gold and the money flowing world wide until 2008 the prices went through the roof. Now I could not touch a new one. Year old ones slightly used but looking just as good are a lot less money now, and with the bad economy a lot became available! I may have to start looking again here. I love those blue dials!--- John (PS wish I had a company with a luxurious dividend; may need to go up the river to Cincinnati lol.)

Last edited:

filfoster

One Too Many
I had a new 01 President with date and blue dial. It was beautiful, but with the price of gold and the money flowing world wide until 2008 the prices went through the roof. Now I could not touch a new one. Year old ones slightly used but looking just as good are a lot less money now, and with the bad economy a lot became available! I may have to start looking again here. I love those blue dials!--- John (PS wish I had a company with a luxurious dividend; may need to go up the river to Cincinnati lol.)

Please note the use of the past tense in my own Rolexaholics Anonymous testimonial.

fluteplayer07

One Too Many
Kicking up some dust with this thread.

IMG_0874_zpsd201efe1.jpg

She's a '51 if I remember correctly.

IMG_0870_zps604f7669.jpg

Closer look at the strap. I put a new alligator band on, and changed the buckle for a steel deployment.

Mystic

Practically Family
Very impressive group of Rolex watches.

I have a Rolex I hadn't worn in so long I forgot I had it until I saw this thread. Don't remember much about it. I bought it from a antique watch dealer about 1992 -1994 at the old Lakewood Antique Mall in Atlanta, Ga. Had a booth there myself for about a year.
Oyster Perpetual Datejust:
IMG_1010.jpg
[/IMG]
IMG_1009.jpg
[/IMG]

Last edited:

memphislawyer

Practically Family
Love that '51 on a strap

Mine is a recent vintage when they went to the new Oyster bracelet. I sold off my two tone gold/silver one with the Jubilee bracelet and got a new Datejust with black sunburst dial. It does not appear it in the pic, but the sticks and roman numerals are silver, not gold.

P8060079.jpg

Two years ago, I bought my wife a midsized Date just. She had the Cindy Crawford Omega Constellation in two tone and that duality seemed dated. She wanted a Cartier but for that price, I think the Omega is a better investment and more rugged watch and the mid sized can be dressy and also sporty, both. Alas, daughter wants the Cartier. The dial is rhodium and the sticks and numerals are silver like the band. It is a more harmonious look that what the flash lighting makes it seem to be in this picture

P8270086.jpg

Last edited:

Doublegun

Practically Family
I would like to find a very nice vintage Bubble-Back to wear for work. Can someone give me a ball park of price range and what to look/look out for?

Thanks,

JDG

Mystic

Practically Family
Love that '51 on a strap

Mine is a recent vintage when they went to the new Oyster bracelet. I sold off my two tone gold/silver one with the Jubilee bracelet and got a new Datejust with black sunburst dial. It does not appear it in the pic, but the sticks and roman numerals are silver, not gold.

P8060079.jpg

Nice watches....does yours have the same weight feel as the one you sold?

memphislawyer

Practically Family
Mystic yes, it feels just as hefty, but the bracelet and clasp are much more solid feeling, not heavier, but that Jubilee bracelet, I have seen the links spread out and look terrible. The clasp on the Jubilee looks flimsy, but it worked. The one on this one looks and feels more substantial.

Mystic

Practically Family
Mystic yes, it feels just as hefty, but the bracelet and clasp are much more solid feeling, not heavier, but that Jubilee bracelet, I have seen the links spread out and look terrible. The clasp on the Jubilee looks flimsy, but it worked. The one on this one looks and feels more substantial.

I haven't worn my watch in a long time but I do remember thinking the same thing about the clasp issue and having the clasp adjusted a couple of times. Had issues with keeping closed from the weight of the watch. Never had the link spreading issue though.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
The newer bracelets are a night and day improvement over the older ones. And their Roman dials are my absolute favorites of all they offer.

Foxer55

A-List Customer
Of all the things I have or have ever obtained in my life, here is my pride and joy above all. I got this in Germany almost 50 years ago and it has been with me through thick and thin. It gets serviced as needed and always looks like the day I got it all those years ago.
1965 Rolex GMT MASTER
jimsgmt_zpsd68d9749.jpg

Last edited:

Treetopflyer

Practically Family
Of all the things I have or have ever obtained in my life, here is my pride and joy above all. I got this in Germany almost 50 years ago and it has been with me through thick and thin. It gets serviced as needed and always looks like the day I got it all those years ago.
1965 Rolex GMT MASTER
jimsgmt_zpsd68d9749.jpg

That is my dream watch. I have always wanted one.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran