Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Let's See Your Watches! The Vintage Watch Thread.

JEEP

Practically Family
Thank you. It truly is a beautyful watch - I am trying to find one for my girlfriend. One of my "agents in the field" has reported back that he may have found a 14 k one with original bracelet for me :)

Regards.

Jakob

JEEP

Practically Family
Having just returned from a watch collectors gathering I just wanted to share this snapshot of the gent's watches in my collection:

Samling01.jpg

From left to right:
Top: No-name bulls-eye dial 40s military, late 40's/early 50's Revue Sport, three No-name 40s two-tone bulls-eye dial, 70s Timex.
Bottom: Late 30s Omega Officer, early 50s Omega dress-watch, late 30a/early 40s 14 karat gold Omega dress-watch, late 40s two-tone bulls-eye dial Eterna, 30s art-deco Louis Grisel.

A better shot of some of the watches, taken by the host of the gathering:

UrTrf008.jpg

/Jakob

JEEP

Practically Family
I have just recieved confirmation on a deal on this beautiful swedish 1945 Omega Suver?§n - the successor to the 30s Omega Officer (shown earlier in this thread):

194510416490OmegaSuvernSManuel30-5.jpg

194510416490OmegaSuvernSManuel30-7.jpg

This one is most likely either a civillian purchase or an unissued example as it lacks issue markings, though some Suver?§ns were probably issued without markings.

The name "Suver?§n" refers to Swedens status as a neutral (in swedish suver?§n) country.

The three watches with two-tone bulls-eye dials, shown in the post above this one, are all swedish watches - the influence of the Suver?§n is easy to see.

/Jakob

JEEP

Practically Family
Thanks. Having damaged my left shoulder severely, thus being unable to teach martial arts anymore, I decided to sell my gear and Invest in something that would make me smile everyday - now I smile everytime I look at my wrist :)

Mvh.

Jakob

Harley Quinn

One of the Regulars
I have two Venturas; one in the white gold/black face and the other in the Gold/black face models... covers all of my outfit needs (I like tweeds as well as Jeff Banks suits)

The watches are both comfortable, well made and, imo, classic (never out of style since it never was IN style)

I'd look long and hard at the vintage Hamilton V since it had an unbelievably foul strap and, even when new, had a rep for being fragile due to the nature of the electronic oscillator (pre-quartz). The air cell doesn't give that good battery life either...:D

Lorne

One of the Regulars
Vintage Watches...

Hello All,

I'm normally a fedora guy, but recently I've found myself attracted to vintage wristwatches. Mechanical watches can be found for very reasonable prices on Ebay. Look for makers such as Elgin, Bulova, Hamilton, Waltham, Benrus and Gruen.

Below is an example of. It is my 1929 Elgin 488. Cost me about $20, and runs like a champ...

MVC-024S.jpg

Lorne D. Gilsig

Alex Oviatt

Practically Family
That is a beauty and at a great price. I have one similar as well as a really early Elgin wrist watch (1918) that is almost like a small pocket watch with two lugs for straps.

Today I am wearing my 1948 Rolex bubble-back Oyster with a rose gold bezel. The best thing about it is that it still has the original leather strap and buckle and the strap is stamped on the inside with the name of the jewellers--Donovan & Seaman, a classic old LA store that used to be on 7th in the ground floor of the Los Angeles Athletic Club. Sadly gone, it was where my parents bought their wedding rings.

Lorne

One of the Regulars
Gone, long Gone

I think the last part of old LA died when Edwards Steak House closed on Alvarado. Do they still have that Deli at 6th and Alvarado, across from McArthur Park?

Lorne D. Gilsig

Alex Oviatt

Practically Family
Lorne said:
I think the last part of old LA died when Edwards Steak House closed on Alvarado. Do they still have that Deli at 6th and Alvarado, across from McArthur Park?

Lorne D. Gilsig
Wow--I agree. There is still Taylor's on 8th and The Pacific Dining Car, but with Edwards and Marcus gone, it is slim pickings for vintage steakhouses right in downtown. Plenty of new ones, of course. The deli is gone, but further down 6th towards Hancock Park, Cassel's Hamburgers is still going strong. Nothing to do with vintage watches, but interesting none the less.

Lorne

One of the Regulars
Down town LA

So that Deli on 6th finally went belly up? It was inevitable I guess, the neighborhood is now more King Taco than Edwards Steak House.

I do remember getting really good eats at that taco place on Alvarado and Pico (King Taco?), and Alvarado and Sunset. There was that Mexican place with live music by Mack Park, but it was always a tourist trap.

Lorne D. Gilsig

Alex Oviatt

Practically Family
Lorne said:
So that Deli on 6th finally went belly up? It was inevitable I guess, the neighborhood is now more King Taco than Edwards Steak House.

I do remember getting really good eats at that taco place on Alvarado and Pico (King Taco?), and Alvarado and Sunset. There was that Mexican place with live music by Mack Park, but it was always a tourist trap.

Lorne D. Gilsig
La Fonda--it just went, too! Ay, que lastima!

Alex Oviatt

Practically Family
Lorne said:

Lorne D. Gilsig
Do you mean Langer's on 7th and Alvarado? If so, it IS still there--I just drove past it!

JEEP

Practically Family
Beautiful watch there Lorne :eusa_clap

Here is a quick snapshot of my late 30s 14 karat gold Omega:

30s_guld_omega.jpg

The dial is in almost perfect condition, but needs a gentle cleanup, the crown is unoriginal, it will have to be changed for an original one at some point - the band is an original NOS vintage reptile skin band (snake or small crocodile/alligator I belive).

/Jakob

JEEP

Practically Family
Just spending my morning drinking coffee and playing with my camera:

Officer_Suvern.jpg

Two of the finest military watches ever made - both issued to the Swedish army: To the left is a late 30s Omega Officer and to the right a 1945 Omega Suverän with two-tone bulls-eye dial. My two most prized watches.

/Jakob

JEEP

Practically Family

The 30s Omega Officer is the "great-uncle" to the 40s Omega Suverän and the Omega Suverän is "farther" to the 40s RAF Omega (and the famous 40s/50s 30 mm gents dress series) - the RAF Omega is farther to the famous, and highly sought after, 50s Omega Railmaster.

/Jakob

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lindawalters