Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Let's See Your Watches! The Vintage Watch Thread.

pgoat

One Too Many
Mark G said:
watches.jpg

From left to right:

Rolex SS Sub date

Brietling Old Navitimer

Brietling Shark 300 meter dive

Hamilton Khaki Field Automatic

Jaeger-leCoultre Grande Taille Master Control

I like them all for different reasons. I think the Jaeger is the finest watch I own, but I find myself wearing the Rolex more than any because it seems to be the handiest.

I know I only have two wrists but I can't help myself.

nice collection! You've got all the bases covered here.

Are the Jaegers as smooth and velvety to set as people say, compared to the Rolex? I've not yet tried one myself.

Mark G

A-List Customer
pgoat said:
nice collection! You've got all the bases covered here.

Are the Jaegers as smooth and velvety to set as people say, compared to the Rolex? I've not yet tried one myself.

Pgoat, The Jaegers are incredibly smooth, much smoother than any of the other watches I own. When the watch is wound I can feel almost no resistance and no sound. The Master Control is put through 1000 hours of torture testing in the case. Much more testing than on an "Officially Certified Chronometer". It's not a flashy watch, but it is very elegant and timeless.

I find I wear the Rolex more because the others have leather bands and I go through those very quickly (less than a year).

ScionPI2005

Call Me a Cab
Here is the Circa Timepiece watch I ordered last week. So far, I like it a lot. It runs well, feels well made, and looks to be a perfect resemblance of many of the vintage tank watches from the 1930's.

circatimepiece_2.jpg

Jay

Practically Family
Scion that watch is great! Just the sort I've been looking for: Vintage looking, but if it gets knocked around at work, I won't sweat bullets.

Also: Your picture reminds me of my Dad chastising me when I first wore a watch. "It's a WRISTwatch not an ARMwatch!"

pgoat

One Too Many
Mark G said:
Pgoat, The Jaegers are incredibly smooth, much smoother than any of the other watches I own. When the watch is wound I can feel almost no resistance and no sound. The Master Control is put through 1000 hours of torture testing in the case. Much more testing than on an "Officially Certified Chronometer". It's not a flashy watch, but it is very elegant and timeless.

I find I wear the Rolex more because the others have leather bands and I go through those very quickly (less than a year).

I hear you....I just got a leather sport band (Brietling stitch style) for my Omega Railmaster - Straps always look great when they are new, but it's a slow gradual downhill from there.....it's even worse if you are like me and tend to wear the same watch m-f, as the leather probably needs a chance to dry out and 'rest'.

That understated beauty is what I love about the JLCs. The closest I've gotten is a few feet from the display cases - I don't have the wallet or the cojones to get any closer :D . Someday I want a basic Master in gold. My wife loves the Reversos, so I hope I can win lotto and get her one someday.....

ScionPI2005

Call Me a Cab
Jay said:
Also: Your picture reminds me of my Dad chastising me when I first wore a watch. "It's a WRISTwatch not an ARMwatch!"

Interesting you mention that, Jay. I've been told at times I wear my watch a little farther down on my arm than right at the wrist, where I guess the majority of wristwatch wearers have theirs. I think that's due to the fact that it has slowly dawned on me that I have a smaller wrist than the average person. This is accented by the fact that I've had to create new holes in several watchbands lately to tighten them down so they aren't too loose.

So either I have a small wrist, or watch companies are making larger watchbands because they think peoples' wrists are now the size of small tree trunks...

JEEP

Practically Family
My great grandfarthers (on my farthers side) pocket watch:

Oldefars_lommeur_01.jpg

Oldefars_lommeur_02.jpg

Oldefars_lommeur_03.jpg

Oldefars_lommeur_04.jpg

Oldefars_lommeur_05.jpg

Oldefars_lommeur_06.jpg

It was given to my farther when my great grandfarther died in 1953 - my farther gave it to me in 2002 when I graduated from high-school.

It is my most prized belonging :)

/Jakob

Brian Sheridan

One Too Many
Scion - those Cricas are outstanding! Exactly what I was looking for when I began this thread.

They have so many styles and all reasonably priced.

Everyone can check them out at this link: www.greattiming.net

Click on Crica in the left hand column.

Thanks!

Aviator

Familiar Face
bolthead said:
My wife inherited this beautiful Rolex from her Aunt before she passed, some years ago. The battery has stopped since then and we were told by a friend of hers that "Rolex" batteries can be quite expensive, is this true? We don't have any dealers close to us and we'd love to have it appraised. She don't and never has worn it. She actually would like to sell it, but we would like to know what it's worth? [huh] It's in pristine condition, as you can see.....other than no battery.

If anybody knows anything about "Rolex", and maybe can date this watch, or maybe have an idea as to what it might be worth....I'd really appreciate it. Thanks a bunch. ;)
I've never heard of Rolex making batteries[huh] ; I'm guessing you could take it to any local watchmaker and have a new watch battery put in for not very much money (a very easy operation!). If it has not been changed in a while, you might want to get it taken care of soon, as batteries can leak if left in a watch for too long after they have been drained.
You could probably look on the back or at the movement to see some serial numbers to get an idea of the age of the watch. Not sure about that watch (it really is a lovely, feminine watch), but most Rolex watches have serial numbers that can easily date them. Here is one link, but Google "Rolex Serial Numbers" and quite a few places pop up:

http://www.qualitytyme.net/pages/numbers.html

For market price, you can look at e-Bay or watch auctions. You may go on some Rolex forums (like on Timezone.com or WatchUSeek.com, or RolexForum.com) and say that you are going to insure this watch, and could someone please PM you with a guesstimate as to its worth.

From what I have seen, the market for women's watches is not that big (most high-end watches are sold to men). Still, good luck with selling it.

JEEP

Practically Family
Nice little rolex :)

Aviator is right; the prices of ladies' watches are quite low compared to the prices of gent's watches.

Take these for instance:

Dameure01.jpg

Beautiful 20s and 30s gold and golddouble watches - except from one of them they are in perfect order and in good to near perfect cosmetic condition. But the market-value lies from only $ 20 to $ 60.

/Jakob

ScionPI2005

Call Me a Cab
Brian Sheridan said:
Scion - those Cricas are outstanding! Exactly what I was looking for when I began this thread.

They have so many styles and all reasonably priced.

Everyone can check them out at this link: www.greattiming.net

Click on Crica in the left hand column.

Thanks!

I think all the styles look fun too. In looking at the Circa website (www.circawatch.com) it looks like you can sign up for an email notification when they release new models. All their models look so unique that I kind of see this as another expensive "collect 'em all" hobby.

Brian, if you get one, be sure to let us know which one and post a pic! :D

JEEP

Practically Family
Yesterday a letter from Undertaker awaited me as I came home after work:

Sort_Revue_NOSbracelet.jpg

A beautiful 40s art-deco steel bracelet - here fitted on one of my 40s Revues (not the perfect watch for this bracelet, but it was the only one with the correct width between the horns).

I will have to find a square art-deco watch for this bracelet.

Thank you J.S. for your generosity - I am looking forward to a chance to repay it.

Regards.

Jakob

JEEP

Practically Family
Sweet one GWD. The dial is magnifficent :)

Are you sure it says 1927? To me this watch looks a lot more 30s - early 40s. Offcourse the incription may not nessecarely refer to the day the watch was given.

/Jakob

donCarlos

Practically Family
Lucky Strike - God! I want the kriegsmarine watches! Do you think there are some copies available? The original must be pretty expensive...

kodou

New in Town
i've just read...

this thread all the way from page 1.

simply amazing.

I'd love to find just one vintage pocket/wristwatch like some I've seen here. In fact, I will bet that's just how it starts; you only want one watch, but pretty soon it turns into 5 or 6. It can become quite obsessive, but quite rewarding I'm sure. Jakob's watch repairman can speak to that. :p

please keep these timepieces coming.

JEEP

Practically Family
kodou said:
Jakob's watch repairman can speak to that. :p

Let's just say he smiles every time I walk into his shop :)

I may have a nice no-name vintage wristwatch in my collection that I will be willing to part with for little money. PM me if you are interested.

/Jakob

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
kodou said:
I will bet that's just how it starts; you only want one watch, but pretty soon it turns into 5 or 6. It can become quite obsessive, .
Just recently a gentleman put his collection up for auction. He had amassed over 700 watches in the last decade.:eusa_doh:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grateful Fred