Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Let's See Your Watches! The Vintage Watch Thread.

Tony from Tulsa

New in Town
Here's my military issue 1944 Hamilton (18 jewel). It runs like a top.
hamilton1.jpg

And my 1923 Elgin Pershing commemorative (8 jewel, pre-restoration). It runs like a top as well, but I need a replacement case for it, its cracked where the pins sit in it.
elgin1.jpg

Last edited:

Oldsarge

One Too Many
My great grandfather's railroad watch is at Renaissance Watch Repair for a complete cleaning and overhaul. I will post picts when it returns around November. Anyone know a good place to find a watch chain? A double Albert would be cool but excessive so a single is fine.

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
Solid gold watch-chains cost a freakin' fortune. So unless you have a fortune, I wouldn't waste time chasing one down.

You can buy perfectly nice gold-tone watch-chains (ring-clip, Single & Double Albert) from watch-sites around the world. I believe www.pocketwatchsite.com stocks them. Not being gold-plated, they don't rub off and turn all steely and yucky over time.

Tony from Tulsa

New in Town
A good watch person should be able to repair the cracks for you, but the case will need refinishing depending on where the cracks are.
Thanks, Talbot. I need to check on that. I'm having trouble finding a good, "vintage" watch person here in town. Everyone just wants to sell me a new one. Don't get me wrong, I'd LOVE to own a Breitling Navitimer, but its completely out of my range. Plus I dearly LOVE these oldies. The Elgin is probably my favorite, though it has the cheapest movement. It's an awesome old watch.

Saint-Just

One of the Regulars
That is a lovely watch PE.
Lip was a very prominent French manufacture (today the name has been bought by Chinese makers who pretend they make them in France :mad: ). De Gaulle and Ike were offered one of the first electronic watches in 1952.

The 1er Régiment d'Artillerie Coloniale took part in all 4 battles marked, plus the battle of the Marne.

If it was your grandfather's, it is invaluable. The enamelled dial looks perfect but you need to bring it to a proper watchmaker for a service (think of a car you haven't serviced for 10, 20 or 90 years)

It is capable of keeping time to a few seconds per day.

The Private Eye

Familiar Face
The 1er Régiment d'Artillerie Coloniale took part in all 4 battles marked, plus the battle of the Marne.

Really ? I didn't know that ! Thanks !

you need to bring it to a proper watchmaker for a service (think of a car you haven't serviced for 10, 20 or 90 years)
It is capable of keeping time to a few seconds per day.

Well to tell you the truth, I did it. 3 watchmakers. 3 min/week is its best result even with a Longines escapement in replacement.[huh]

Saint-Just

One of the Regulars
I did a little search and 13 August 1918 is the date they were removed from the front line with the Serbian army and sent to rest near Vladova.

Would you be able to take a picture of the calibre please?

sartana

New in Town
Here are a few of my watches:

Here is a Lord Elgin. I found this in a box of watches at a thrift store. $2 perhaps?

P1050257.jpg

I was lucky to find this Bulova at an estate sale. It is from 1948

P1050258.jpg

Another Bulova

P1050259.jpg

I own a 1957 Chrysler. The MoPar cars from 1955 to 1961 were known as the "Forward Look". This watch is related to that. You can see the Forward Look emblem right below the word Chrysler. Not sure the year of the watch, but it is somewhere between '55-'61.

P1050260.jpg

A Hilton. Not sure the year...

P1050261.jpg

Finally, a Bulova Accutron. This one is special as it was my dad's and he passed it along to me. I remember him wearing it when I was a kid.

P1050262.jpg

Talbot

One Too Many
Here are a few of my watches:

Here is a Lord Elgin. I found this in a box of watches at a thrift store. $2 perhaps?

P1050257.jpg

I was lucky to find this Bulova at an estate sale. It is from 1948

P1050258.jpg

Another Bulova

P1050259.jpg

I own a 1957 Chrysler. The MoPar cars from 1955 to 1961 were known as the "Forward Look". This watch is related to that. You can see the Forward Look emblem right below the word Chrysler. Not sure the year of the watch, but it is somewhere between '55-'61.

P1050260.jpg

A Hilton. Not sure the year...

P1050261.jpg

Finally, a Bulova Accutron. This one is special as it was my dad's and he passed it along to me. I remember him wearing it when I was a kid.

P1050262.jpg

Nice!:eusa_clap:eusa_clap

Talbot

One Too Many
Thanks, Talbot. I need to check on that. I'm having trouble finding a good, "vintage" watch person here in town. Everyone just wants to sell me a new one. Don't get me wrong, I'd LOVE to own a Breitling Navitimer, but its completely out of my range. Plus I dearly LOVE these oldies. The Elgin is probably my favorite, though it has the cheapest movement. It's an awesome old watch.

Tony,

If you want a Navitimer, but can't justify the expense, or just aren't chucking enough of a swell, have you thought about one of these?

http://forums.watchuseek.com/f220/review-rotary-chronospeed-brown-leather-482353.html

I just bought a new one on eBay for 60 pounds! Quartz movement is the only downside for me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24