Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Let's See Your Watches! The Vintage Watch Thread.

viclip

Practically Family
1929 Illinois Guardsman
OrcVrjql.jpg
That's a real eye catcher, thx for posting!

I'm curious whether the seconds indicator "jumps" on the second or whether it rotates with the 4th wheel in the usual small increments.

GJH

New in Town
Thanks!
It is called a rotor secometer and rotates on the 4th in small increments.
These are quite a cool Illinois and when they come up for sale they are snatched
up pretty quickly. I will post another later in WGF with a plain bezel.
One of My favorite Illinois.
G

viclip

Practically Family
Thanks!
It is called a rotor secometer and rotates on the 4th in small increments.
These are quite a cool Illinois and when they come up for sale they are snatched
up pretty quickly. I will post another later in WGF with a plain bezel.
One of My favorite Illinois.
G
Is the one you posted yellow or green gold, it's hard to tell from photos.

Or perhaps it's pink gold?

I confess that you got me interested in Illinois wristwatches & the other day I took delivery of Fred Friedberg's 2004 book. Altho I've not yet started reading it, I did take the opportunity just now to see if I could find the Guardsman therein, successfully so.

Fred had indicated that only a single pink gold specimen was known to exist. Have you heard of any more in the intervening years?

Last edited:

Twelvefret

New in Town
After several years ,I was surprised to find a '51 Hamilton 992B with a Montgomery dial this past Tuesday when my Hamilton Khaki automatic stopped and I had to find a local shop to repair. He watchmaker asked if I knew about the Montgomery dial. He said he didn't have a watch with that dial. I responded that he had one sitting in the case. Hisrtory on George Montgomery's dial, http://www.clockguy.com/SiteRelated/SiteReferencePages/SFRRMontgomeryDial.html

My search for this iconic Hamilton began with a song by my musical hero, Norman Blake. Mr. Blake grew up in the Southern US and has been writing songs about trains for decades. His lyics are both historically and technically correct.

Here is the song about the watch,

This is a lyrical account of Lincoln's last train ride,

Probably my favorite train song by Norman,

viclip

Practically Family
After several years ,I was surprised to find a '51 Hamilton 992B with a Montgomery dial this past Tuesday when my Hamilton Khaki automatic stopped and I had to find a local shop to repair. He watchmaker asked if I knew about the Montgomery dial. He said he didn't have a watch with that dial. I responded that he had one sitting in the case. Hisrtory on George Montgomery's dial, http://www.clockguy.com/SiteRelated/SiteReferencePages/SFRRMontgomeryDial.html

My search for this iconic Hamilton began with a song by my musical hero, Norman Blake. Mr. Blake grew up in the Southern US and has been writing songs about trains for decades. His lyics are both historically and technically correct.

Here is the song about the watch,

This is a lyrical account of Lincoln's last train ride,

Probably my favorite train song by Norman,
I too like Montgomery dials. Not only do they look good, but Montgomery dials are so much easier to read.

By the way, did you pick up that pocket watch sitting in the case?

Twelvefret

New in Town
I too like Montgomery dials. Not only do they look good, but Montgomery dials are so much easier to read.

Yes I did

Yes, that’s the one I bought.

viclip

Practically Family
Yes I did

Yes, that’s the one I bought.
The Hamilton Model 992B is considered by many to have been the epitome of American pocket watch production, as I recall it came out circa 1940 & continued to be built until the cessation of US operations circa 1969.

Congratulations on your acquisition esp. with the Montgomery dial. Have you removed the back cover to not only admire the movement, but to find out the particulars of the case?

If you're able to post a pic, I & others here wouldn't mind admiring your fine timepiece!

viclip

Practically Family
I must say that they are addicting... The Rose/Pink Gold Guardsman in Fred's Book is the only one known.
His new 5 volume set is due to come out in about a month and will be filled with my collection.
Here is a WGF w/plain bezel Guardsman.
sIIYjadl.jpg
Your white gold filled Guardsman nicely complements the colored gold version which you posted earlier. The WGF one's plain bezel sits well with my eye, it seems to give the watch a more formal look.

I took advantage of the pre-publication pricing to subscribe to Fred's 5-volume set which you mentioned. Having delved into his 2004 book on Illinois watches, I'm eagerly awaiting the release of his latest handiwork.

GJH

New in Town
Very exciting! Me too, can't wait! Most collectors (of anything by the way) say... get the book before
the product. If you don't have the knowledge of what you are collecting, you will get burned.
My first Fred book has the cover worn off and the next set will be the same I am sure!
G

viclip

Practically Family
1959 Longines Silver Arrow in all original condition, including correct crown. Usually came on a bracelet that I am sadly missing.

View attachment 110787 View attachment 110788 View attachment 110789 View attachment 110790
Another great find. That classic look is killer.

I especially like that "Silver Arrow" in cursive was placed onto the dial by Longines. I wish all manufacturers would so identify the model name of their watches, that practice really sets them apart. Back in the day it wasn't particularly common to identify the model on the dial, maybe so that dials could be used interchangeably amongst different offerings.

As for the bracelet, don't be surprised if you find one on eBay. It's amazing what a global cyber-market churns up & spits out. I just found some NOS high grade polished balance staffs for a South Bend pocket watch manufactured in 1922.

viclip

Practically Family
1928 Illinois Chevalier.

This is one with a black bezel and a porcelain dial.
There are only around 4 of these dials known to exist.

dePehQ5l.jpg
[/IMG]
dePehQ5l.jpg
Yet another strikingly desirable Illinois Chevalier !

I couldn't help but notice that the blue bezel version has a different crown from that of the black bezel version.

I know that crowns wear down over time due to winding, but I'm wondering whether these crowns are original to their respective wristwatches, signifying that Illinois offered different crowns within a model line.

GJH

New in Town
You have a good eye vic...
The Blue one has an original. I have seen lots of variations of the "Onion" crown on this
watch. Interestingly enough, my watchmaker and I decided to use this type of onion on this one to kind of "mark"
this particular watch. It is SO rare that I see photos of it all over the place. I know it is mine because of the crown.
The Blue one is easy to spot if someone uses the photo because it is the only one in blue with the porcelain dial, that I really know of.
Here is a closeup from the original ad from Fred Friedberg's first book. You can see the crown like the Blue Chevalier.
Waltham also did a version of this watch.
88eAaLcl.jpg
uS1lhhgl.jpg

viclip

Practically Family
You have a good eye vic...
The Blue one has an original. I have seen lots of variations of the "Onion" crown on this
watch. Interestingly enough, my watchmaker and I decided to use this type of onion on this one to kind of "mark"
this particular watch. It is SO rare that I see photos of it all over the place. I know it is mine because of the crown.
The Blue one is easy to spot if someone uses the photo because it is the only one in blue with the porcelain dial, that I really know of.
Here is a closeup from the original ad from Fred Friedberg's first book. You can see the crown like the Blue Chevalier.
Waltham also did a version of this watch.
88eAaLcl.jpg
uS1lhhgl.jpg
It's these little details that make watch collecting so very interesting ... thanks for delving into this

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy