Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Let's See Your Watches! The Vintage Watch Thread.

fabiovenhorst

Call Me a Cab
This Sorna arrived today. Another #15 watch... It's keeping good time.
IMG_0406.JPG

fabiovenhorst

Call Me a Cab
You have been scoring some nice watches!!!!! I am especially a Bulova fan!!
Thank you. I've been quite lucky as I started this small collection in april. I like the Bulovas too, but I'm particularly fond of my Gruen Curvex and the Elgin. The 1935 Bulova Senator was a great joy because I bought it knowing that it wasn't working, so I'm very happy I've got it fixed. It's a nice 85 years piece of history.

Last edited:
So, I'm watching the 1933 movie "Night Flight" yesterday when they do a close-up on one of the pilot's wrists and this watch pops up:
IMG_5972.JPG

Which is extremely close to this watch I bought years ago on eBay:
c4ad3ed38bc32f9a5860302282be3c5c-3.jpg

There is no brand name on my watch or the one in the movie, but the dealer on eBay said it was 1920s "Swiss Military," which makes sense (but I have no idea if true) as many commercial pilots (like the one in "Night Flight") were former military fliers.

That's it, just a neat sighting of a close version of my watch in a 1933 movie.

viclip

Practically Family
Good eye, nice watch.

Have you ever opened the case to see if it's signed inside &/or whether the movement itself is signed?

Good eye, nice watch.

Have you ever opened the case to see if it's signed inside &/or whether the movement itself is signed?

I'm afraid if I did that, the ninety year old dust holding the movement together would fall out. Kidding aside, I have had it serviced a few times, but I haven't taken a peek myself as I have no skills in watch repair at all.

Reactions: Zoo

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Takatāpui