Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Let's See Your Watches! The Vintage Watch Thread.

Alan Eardley

One Too Many
Surely it depends on the definition of the word 'favourite'?

To me, that means something that you own and use often or have a preference, love or an especial regard for. Not something that you admire or would like to own.

For me it could be my late great-grandfather's Frattorini fusee pocket watch, my late grandfather's Smith's pocket watch, my late father's Omega wristwatch, my late favourite Uncle's Omega, the 1960s Longines my parents bought me new as a 21st birthday present or the WW2 Hamilton (worn on D-Day) that was given to me by a group of veterans in gratitude for helping them attend the 60th anniversary in Normandie. All of these I wear regularly and love in a way that transcends cost, value or rarity.

My favourite (a difficult choice) would be the Sewill's Ark Royal my beloved wife bought me for my 50th birthday, all those years ago.

Alan

jgilbert

One of the Regulars
I have an Omega Seamaster that I got in 1979.
It is stainless then gold plated. Darn thing is heavy!
I would like to give it to my son. However I can not find and links to add to the band.

Any Ideas?

Thanks

Alan Eardley

One Too Many
jgilbert said:
I have an Omega Seamaster that I got in 1979.
It is stainless then gold plated. Darn thing is heavy!
I would like to give it to my son. However I can not find and links to add to the band.

Any Ideas?

Thanks

Unless the band is something really unusual (which , knowing Omega, I doubt) any Omega approved retailer should be able to modify the band. Omega likes to have stuff sent to the factory for repair or modification, by the way.

Alan

Matt Noir

One of the Regulars
Ah watches...a subject near and dear to my heart. I moderate on a watch forum and I seem to have a weakness for timepieces - I think at current count I have 23 watches.

My daily wear is my trusty Panny 196

p4725759n6.jpg

And my Mido All Dial COSC Chrono gets a lot of wear as well

413.jpg

Funny that today I am not wearing either - I am wearing my Bell & Ross Instrument Chrono

bell_ross.jpg

So many watches...so little money! ;)

Regards,

Matt

mister7

Familiar Face
http://cgi.ebay.com/CHENEVARD-FULLS...8829370QQihZ012QQcategoryZ55091QQcmdZViewItem

I just bought one of these. It really looks cool! I don't know if it is a very good watch, but I bought it just as a piece of jewelry really. The mechanism is neat to watch as it runs.

Also, I would be curious what other posters think about the ivory colored band? I like it better than I thought I would initially, but I'm still torn on how it will go with various items of clothing. It is so hot here right now that I refrain from dressing up, but the fall will eventually arrive bringing the opportunity to do so.

Some amazing pieces of art posted so far! I know they are common, but I really like the Hamilton Venturas.

Michael

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
My upgraded IWC Spitfire

Finally got the bracelet - and the 2 extra links. Hard to get - but found them in Zürich after all.
This is how she looks now:
3706-18-0002.jpg

I am pleased!!!:D
(P.S. Just to be honest. I did not take that photo. It's from an ad - but mine is exactly the same)

dostacos

Practically Family
daily is a Wenger [swiss army] dive watch, green bezel and it weighs a ton

also for dress up times I use a pocket watch/chain and fob on the vest

no pictures yet....not enough posts:eek:

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Spitfire said:
Finally got the bracelet - and the 2 extra links. Hard to get - but found them in Z?ºrich after all.
This is how she looks now:
3706-18-0002.jpg

I am pleased!!!:D
(P.S. Just to be honest. I did not take that photo. It's from an ad - but mine is exactly the same)

Beautiful, beautiful watch from a great watchmaker. Two thumbs up :eusa_clap

I

Ian Dundrillon

Cartier Tank Watch

I bought my wife a genuine Cartier Tank Watch about 15 years ago (price about $2200 U.S.) I found it to be unreliable and factory support totally unacceptable. When my bull terrier fell in the pool, my wife retrieved him and the watch immediately stopped. Local service was ineffective, so it was shipped off to New York for six weeks. It was returned still not working. In all, three such trips were required before it was fixed. I'll grant you that the pool affair was a bit extreme, but two more repetitions of stoppages under the most benign conditions relgated her wearing of the watch to days with
less than 50% humidity (or so it seemed). I would look for a good reproduction with touches like the sapphire stem, etc., an Ebay selection Cartier with a quartz movement (cheaper to repair) or perhaps a vintage
Hamilton or Elgin with similar look. Good luck and good hunting.

"All that glitters is not gold." William Shakespeare

The Wingnut

One Too Many
Thanks, Mark. Saved me some typing. :D

Although I'd recommend keeping one's eyes peeled for inexpensive tanks on the 'bay in decent condition. Here's my '34 Elgin that I have less than $60 into after purchase, a new crystal and a face repaint.

elgin.jpg

Thomas G

New in Town
http://www.circawatch.com/collection.htm

I've been thinking about one of these Circa reproduction watches for a while. They seem to look the business, and are relatively inexpensive, but I haven't had a chance to see one in the flesh. Anyone know if they're any good?

Misterp

New in Town
Hello

(my 1st post on this board !)

There's a few watches you should look for:

- Jaeger LeCoultre Reverso classique, could be expensive though...
3365.jpg

- Tissot Lisboa, or Porto
w_TiP.jpg

- Heuer Carrera
http://home.xnet.com/~cmaddox/heuer/articles/carrera_article/heuer_carrera_article.html
carrera_2000.jpg

- Poljot (Russian brand) Strela
http://www.poljot24.de/en/pd1091818803.htm?categoryId=2

- Stowa
http://www.stowa.de/

- Omega Speedmaster
321jm04.jpg

- Nomos
08_nomos_tangente_03.jpg

Ebay has tons of nice vintage watches, but you should know a bit about these before buying over there, imho.

About a nice and original strap, you could try:
- nato strap ("G10"), cheap but useful.
- "Bund" strap
-Leather pilot's: http://www.broadarrow.net/straps.htm
- DiModell or Hirsch Rallye straps (holes in it, very 60-70's)
They're nice with sporty chronos, or military watches, but definitely NOT with delicate classic/classy models.

I could go on forever lol

And you thought a leather jacket was expensive !

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy