Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Let's See Your Watches! The Vintage Watch Thread.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Lovely watch, UB. I too like the Breguet hands.

Unlucky Berman said:
I Did it again. My latest addition to my growing collection. A Hamilton Bagley from c. 1940/41 with black enemal numbers. The hands are not the original ones but I like them and will let them stay.
18735-hamilton-bagley-c-1940-41-mit-zweitonfarbigem-zb-aufgedruckten-ziffern-neben-diesem-zb-gab-es-sie-mit-aufgesetzten-18k-goldziffern-die-bagley-wurde-mit-einem-hamilton-987er-17-steine-werk-ausgeliefert-das-gehaeuse-ist-10k-vergoldet-benoetigt-18-mm-baender.jpg

Hamilton 982 movements

Those Hamilton 982 19j movements are some of the finest movements then and now,A friend who is a watchmaker told me that in "his" opinion the are right up there with the top makers.....

R.A. Stewart

Familiar Face
mrfish said:
Jeepers. I have a small insignificant watch collection. I'm very jealous of the fine time motors in this thread. Here's my only old one.

fedoradecopics001.jpg

It's a Waltham. Apologies for my poor camera and the dolt behind it.

fish

No worries, mr. fish, mine is hardly more significant, and larger only because I happen to have inherited the pocket watches.

No need for apologies, either--nice watch and picture. (Though somehow I could swear that the fob is later than 19th century--I dunno, just a feeling I have :) )

~Rich

mrfish

New in Town
Why surely you jest, Sir. That is the great Man o' War. Due to the limitations of the black and white film of the era, very few people know that he was bright Orange.

Fortunately for posterity, the owner decided against using the first name that sprang to his mind for this wonderful steed-- Pumpkin o' War.

mrfish

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
DSC06100.jpg

As of yesterday, I am now the proud owner of the fine, Ball railroad-standard pocket watch you see to the left.

The watch on the right is my regular, 7j Waltham.

Once my new railroad watch is serviced, it'll become my new daily timepiece.

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
Hey Mickey D.

Thanks! I can't believe I ever got one of these. They're usually SO EXPENSIVE. I got this for $160 at the flea-market. A watch that usually goes for like 3-4 times that much in a shop!

It's not exactly 'vintage', though. A few enquiries said that this watch dates from ca. 1960.

Mickey D

One of the Regulars
Very nice Ball Shangas, and a great price! You should be proud of that one.

I have a couple Balls 999s in my pocket watch collection also. Both date to mid '30s.
My favorite is my Hamilton 950 (1949) and 992E (1931) with original hang tag.
I'll have to take some individual images soon.

Two Balls in upper left with stirrup bows, followed by the Hamilton 992B and 992E with hang tag.
pockets.jpg

Unlucky Berman

One of the Regulars
Mickey D said:
Hamilton 'Clark'
HamClark.jpg

:eusa_clap Nice watches. But from when is the Clark? So far I only knew the Hamilton Clark from 1936. This one looks more like 1950s which is a bit out of range of my own field of interest. But it is nonetheless a beautifull watch.

My newest addition is a Drake:
63693d1262265151-v-c-c-vintage-collectors-club-drake2.jpg

Doublegun

Practically Family
Hankh said:
Last Saturday while waiting at the Watchshop to pick up my serviced Waltham the wife fell in love. I will never understand her completely.;)
She bought this Rolex 1947 "Bubble Back" automatic. Steel case and Rose golden bezel. Original dial and crown, box and papers. Ostrich leather.
It wasn't cheap, managed to get some Euro 400 off and my repair for free.:eusa_clap
IMG_4894.jpg

Oh, my..... I can see why she fell in love. I think I am going to have to look for one like it.

Thanks!!!!!!

Mickey D

One of the Regulars
Hankh said:
Last Saturday while waiting at the Watchshop to pick up my serviced Waltham the wife fell in love. I will never understand her completely.;)
She bought this Rolex 1947 "Bubble Back" automatic. Steel case and Rose golden bezel. Original dial and crown, box and papers. Ostrich leather.
It wasn't cheap, managed to get some Euro 400 off and my repair for free.:eusa_clap
IMG_4894.jpg

Very nice vintage Rolex. :eusa_clap

Doublegun

Practically Family
Looking at Hankh's Rolex, just how durable are vintage Rolex watches? I know the new ones are pretty much bomb proof, but are the vintage watches capable of being worn daily and subjected to the occasional splash of water from a spigot or splash?

Guess that is really a question about any vintage watch. I have never been lover of old Rolex watches (this one is an exception) as I am partial to vintage IWC and JLC automatics.

Any advice or direction would be appreciated.

Thanks,

JDG

Hankh

Familiar Face
Inherited 2 Omega’s from my father, a steel 1953 Seamaster “Bumper” auto and a golden 1967 Seamaster De Ville automatic:
IMG_3683.jpg

SeamasterdevilleB.jpg

The De Ville is my favorite for a long time, stylish and classy without screaming for attention. Cleaned and oiled every 2 or 3 years they’re still going strong.
I presume the same goes for classic Rolexes.
Omega gives great value for money, they’ve made some wonderful “In House” movements in the past.
Due to my enthousiasm the little lady bought an 1941 Omega and a Longines (no pic so far) in the past.
IMG_4900.jpg

Over here the brand Rolex, just like pimped BMW’s and Mercedes cars in general is linked to people dealing “creative” with our Laws. Thick gold and lots of brilliants.
Marihuana and cocaine.
No offense meant to any Rolex owner. -)
The only modern Rolex I would consider buying are the Submariner/SeaDweller models.
I like the vintage Bubble Back she bought very much, I’ll stick to Omega.

Guttersnipe

One Too Many
I'm no expert by any means. But anecdotally speaking, I know my Grandpa has worn his Rolex pretty much everyday since he bought it new in 1945.

Doublegun said:
. . . just how durable are vintage Rolex watches? I know the new ones are pretty much bomb proof, but are the vintage watches capable of being worn daily and subjected to the occasional splash of water from a spigot or splash?

RKidd

New in Town
J.L. Picard said:
Here is a little trick to know the date of manufacture of your Bulova:
On the back of the case you will find a letter and a number.
A9 = 1949 (first time a date was written on the case).
L0 à L9 : years 50.
M0 à M9 : years 60.
N0 à N9 : years 70.

IE, L3 represents 1953, M7 represents 1967, N0 represents 1970.

Salut. Merci beaucoup!

À la prochaine.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy