Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Let's See Your Watches! The Vintage Watch Thread.

Talbot

One Too Many
Hankh said:
Inherited 2 Omega’s from my father, a steel 1953 Seamaster “Bumper” auto and a golden 1967 Seamaster De Ville automatic:
IMG_3683.jpg

SeamasterdevilleB.jpg

The De Ville is my favorite for a long time, stylish and classy without screaming for attention. Cleaned and oiled every 2 or 3 years they’re still going strong.
I presume the same goes for classic Rolexes.
Omega gives great value for money, they’ve made some wonderful “In House” movements in the past.
Due to my enthousiasm the little lady bought an 1941 Omega and a Longines (no pic so far) in the past.
IMG_4900.jpg

Nice timepieces, especially the Seamaster. Its getting harder and harder to find original and unmolested mid century Omega's these days.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Doublegun said:
just how durable are vintage Rolex watches........ capable of being worn daily and subjected to the occasional splash of water from a spigot or splash?
1930W.jpg

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
I've always been a rather poor photographer. On Monday, I visited my watchmaker and dropped off my railroad pocket watch to be serviced. Before I did, I took this series of photos...They're plain, but at least they look nice!

group1.jpg

group2.jpg

watchavatar.jpg

I personally think they're the best watch photos I've ever taken. Usually, they turn out crap.

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
Mickey D said:
That's a very nice Ball with Canadian dial. :eusa_clap

Thanks Mickey. I was surprised at how well the photos turned out. My Ball is currently at my watchmaker's and I probably won't see it for at least three weeks. So I took one last, parting set of shots.

Sadly, my camera packed up shortly after that, so I won't be able to take any more in the forseeable future...

Geez, all these Omega watch photos made me want to get mine back inservice. Somehow it made it not only through the washing machine but the dryer a few months ago. Its a 1952 Constellation bumper automatic. The watchmaker was surprised to see it wasn't that screwed up---only enough to cost me $200 to fix. :eusa_doh: :rolleyes:
Threw in a Bulova Excellency, Illinois 17 jewel that my son dropped and a Lord Elgin wristwatch. They will all be running again. Now I only have a few hundred others left to fix. :rolleyes: :p
I guess I'll have to live with my LeCoultre Automatic that I have on my wrist for a while.

Hankh

Familiar Face
PoohBang said:
I think I put this on before but since we see that wonderful 1953 omega, this is my (I think it a 52' but might be a 53 also) seamaster... has the rare date at the 6 position... bumper wind.

3690435265_c601686b40.jpg

Great watch! Thanks for posting.

GWD

One Too Many
Just a tiny bit off topic. This watch isn't that old, 1960's but for some reason it just appealed to me. It's a Citizen Seven Star Automatic. Ebay for $26.00, I know it's a sixties watch but it looks like '50's styling "to me anyway".

I don't know anything about this watch but for the money I couldn't pass it up.

Opinions please!

web.jpg

web.jpg

web.jpg

sixties.nut

Great Find

I am a big fan of the citizen brand, it never occurred to me that they even produced mechanical watches much less an automatic. And here it was I thought I was a vintage watch man.

My best guess until I can get a chance to look it up in the book, is that it's an early 1960's watch as well with an excellent dial. You might consider a nice black crock band to put back on it to bring it back to circa.

You made a valued purchase that's for sure. How is she keeping time for you?

GWD

One Too Many
sixties.nut said:
How is she keeping time for you?

I haven't received it yet, hopefully next week. I'll keep you posted.

UPDATE:1/30/10 Just received the Watch today, it's been keeping perfect time for the last 12 hours!

Mysterian

New in Town
1952 Calder Cup Championship Watch

I'm new to the lounge, but not to collecting all things vintage. I don't go for watches as much as I do books, but when a good deal arises I snap it up. A couple years back I attended the estate sale of an ex-pro hockey player and aquired his championship watch from the 1952 Calder Cup. It's a 17 jewel Longines with the original band.

IMG_8600.jpg

rlk

I'll Lock Up
1938 Elgin

4314104431_a08556ce22_o.jpg

I seem to remember this being on a wrist in an early scene of a 1940-ish movie where a clock is set, the lights go out and someone is murdered. Either Powell or Bogart movie(Is that vague enough?)[huh]

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy