Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Let's talk about...shoes, baby!

matei

One Too Many
[QUOTE="Doc" Devereux]...And thanks to Matei giving us the nod about Tricker's sale, so am I.[/QUOTE]

Glad to hear it!:eusa_clap

"Doc" Devereux

One Too Many
matei said:
Glad to hear it!:eusa_clap

Yep, my first pair has broken in nicely, and I'm already planning to get more. This could turn into a problem...

But seriously, thanks for the tip-off on that one.:cheers1:

Nathan Flowers

Head Bartender
Staff member

I would put Johnston & Murphy below Alden and Allen Edmonds, but above Stacy Adams.

They look good, but don't hold up to wear.

TwoToneDeuce

Suspended
Tomasso said:
Please don't take offense but your statement is drenched in naivet?©. There are less than a dozen master bespoke tailors in America. The rest are slapdash shops. The work from these masters starts at 4k. That's life in the big city. Again, please don't take offence.:)

Well I guess I am all drenched in naivet?©. I know that my tailor has been in the business for 30 years and does phenomenal work. He is not one of the bespoke masters you speak of, not many of those here in Nashville, TN. However his work is of superior quality (and cost, if that is part of the measure) He stands behind his products and is quick to tell you that he will fix anything wrong, not that there has ever been anything wrong with his work for me. So I guess I am just all wet.

-D

TwoToneDeuce

Suspended
matei said:
I'm a fan of Trickers... I have 4 pairs, and they are the most comfortable shoes I have ever worn.

My Aldens are a close second.

I had a pair of Florsheim wingtips, they weren't bad but... I don't know, they felt very "plastic". Very light weight though.

Added

John Lobb Paris
Edward Green
Yanko
Trickers
Alden
Allen Edmonds
Bostonian
Stacy Adams
Giorgio Brutini

TwoToneDeuce

Suspended
Zohar said:
I would put Johnston & Murphy below Alden and Allen Edmonds, but above Stacy Adams.

They look good, but don't hold up to wear.

added

John Lobb Paris
Edward Green
Yanko
Trickers
Alden
Allen Edmonds
Johnston & Murphy
Bostonian
Stacy Adams
Giorgio Brutini

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I would like to add the finest pair of shoes I own are a pair of Ferragamo's I bought in Florence. The leather and craftsmanship are top-notch.

I also love my Alfred Sargeant Spectators.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
I Would Go With Alden For Cordovan Shoes

Barry said:
What if you wanted to purchase a pair of shell cordovan shoes or boots? Does Alden have a larger selection and/or better quality than AE?

Alden's website and Alden resellers seem to focus quite a bit on shell cordovan.

Even though both Alden and AE use cordovan sourced from Horween, Alden seems to do a better job.

http://www.horween.com/index.html

My few cents on the topic

Fellas I only rated shoes that I have first hand knowledge of. Owned or do own currenty.

I rated Bostonian tied for last as you could not give me a pair of those shoes free. The worst I ever wore tied with Stacy Adams, poor style these days.

Ferragamo
Edward Green
Crocket and Jones
Gucci
Loake
Alden
Allen Edmonds
Mezlan
Bostonian-Stacy Adams

Spatterdash

A-List Customer
I can't offer an ordered list of these shoe brands as I'm not very experienced with most of them. But I gotta be me and offer this option for those of us that fly a little further afield...

Standard Military low quarters, real leather (not patent).
Polish well with heated black kiwi and wet cotton balls until leather is soft and has a deep liquid shine.
Apply the spats of your choice.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
skillbilly said:
I would have thought that Florsheim Imperial would have made the list. I still see this shoe in particular turn up in good condition in thrift store after 50 + years.
These are classic, sturdy everyday stylin' shoes.

Historically, Florsheim made some fine shoes but their quality has suffered greatly since moving production overseas.

FedoraGent

One Too Many
Floresheim

Tomasso said:
Historically, Florsheim made some fine shoes but their quality has suffered greatly since moving production overseas.

For years, my father, his father and I have bought Floresheim. It was kinda an unspoken thing that all of us have done. I recently have been buying Kenneth Cole, Ecco, Rockport, and others. My intention was to go and buy some Floresheim oxfords tomorrow. Has production and quality suffered that much that I should just go with the Mezlan that I saw at Nordstrom Saturday?

Jon

skillbilly

One of the Regulars
I've been on a month long quest(nightmare) to find Florsheim's kenmoor wingtips in my size. I spoke with the owner of an old shoe store in Alameda and he told me that while the shoes are now being made in China the quality is still "spec on" as he put it. This was for their Imperial line. I would imagine or hope that the same would hold true of the entire brand.

I've always found shoes to be hit or miss. I bought a pair of shoes at Aldo, of all places, that lasted 3 years!

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
FedoraGent said:
For years, my father, his father and I have bought Floresheim.

Florsheim is trading on it's past. For Florsheim to offer the U.S. made Imperial that your GF wore they would have to charge 1k.

The Shooman

Practically Family
Tomasso said:
Bespoke is about the method of make, measurements are taken, patterns/lasts are made that are unique to the individual, then the garment/shoe is ready to assemble. Whether the item is then made by hand or by machine does not make a difference, it's still bespoke.

For instance, an Oxxford RTW suit has more handwork than a Saville Row suit but it's still RTW. It's simply a matter of fit(bespoke) vs. construction(handwork), they're two totally different issues.

Just because something is bespoke, it doesn't mean that the garment has to contain any handwork. Bespoke [in Oz] means that an individual pattern is drawn to a persons specific measuements, customer chooses material, and the customer chooses a style. Bespoke can still be stitched/sewn by a hand guiding the item through a machine.

The Shooman

Practically Family
Tomasso said:
Florsheim is trading on it's past. For Florsheim to offer the U.S. made Imperial that your GF wore they would have to charge 1k.

Florshiem quality is now disgusting.

Many of the expensive designer shoos (Gucci, Prada, versace) are overpriced for the quality too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot