Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Let's Talk About The Fedora Lounge

Status
Not open for further replies.

Atticus Finch

Call Me a Cab
Hi Scott And All,

After reviewing my posts here, I'm afraid that I may be part of the problem you are trying to solve. But my mistake was honest---I thought that the OB was an area open to discussion about pretty much anything except politics, so please accept my apology.

Truthfully, I know very little about the "Golden Era" except that I was born in its closing days. I also have only a passing interest in vintage clothing with the exception of post-WWII flight jackets---a subject (understandably) not much discussed on this board. I'm eagerly learning about hats, but right now I have such a meager knowledge of the topic that I find it difficult to contribute much to our conversations here.

Anyhow, I think that the Mods here should run this forum however they see fit. I'm confident that their policies are designed to advance the wishes of the owner(s) and future well being of the Lounge. I will try to confine whatever future posts I may make here to topics more in keeping with what I now know to be the desired culture of this board.

Atticus

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
Atticus Finch said:
After reviewing my posts here, I'm afraid that I may be part of the problem you are trying to solve.

Atticus, no need to take blame upon yourself. We are ALL part of the problem that they're trying to solve. Almost all of us are guilty of it, myself included.

Martinis at 8

Practically Family
scotrace said:
One note re: favoritism, nepotism et al.

...So do we allow some members more leeway than others? Of course. I think that's human nature...If Ms. 3000 posts says something provocative or outside the norm, and I know from previous conversations or general knowledge where it is headed, it stays. If Mr. 10 posts starts writing in a way that reflects the other, less polite boards which several here have mentioned, into the trash can it goes...

This is where you would error, I opine. You have then personalized the moderation to your own proclivities. Though this is a private board, it is in the public domain for public subscription. The board holds itself out to the pubic for participation.

If Party A, a new member, presents an opinion free of invective and ad hominem attack, and Party B, a long-time member in your clique, responds with name-calling and ad hominem attacks, the public that the board holds itself out to would not be so understanding of your favoritism and nepotism. I'm sure glad the court system doesn't work like that in the US.

..."writing in a way", as you stated is not the same as engaging in direct personal attacks. Your evaluations should be made on the printed/written word and nothing else. That is what the public sees, the printed/written word, and not any back room socializing. The public is what this board holds itself out to in the public domain known as the internet.

BTW, I am also a moderator on a cigar board.

M8

Feraud

Bartender
KittyT said:
Atticus, no need to take blame upon yourself. We are ALL part of the problem that they're trying to solve. Almost all of us are guilty of it, myself included.
I was just going to write that.:)
Let me include myself as those who have engaged in conversations way off the beaten track.

A point I want to stress is this discussion is absolutely not an "Us versus Them" one.
This is not about Members versus Moderators or New Members versus Old.
Everything we discuss is applicable to everyone on the Lounge. I have had plenty of my own comments edited or delted! It is no big deal and I cannot understand why some members take such actions so badly. Usually a moderator will give an explanation for the action. I observe some members react as if it is their God given right to express anything they want around here. I have also observed such members argue for days about how wronged they were and how awful the moderators are. My personal recommendation to those people is to create your own website and see how much work goes into it.

Quigley Brown

Call Me a Cab
scotrace said:
Let me ask this outright: Have the Men & Ladies of the Lounge threads reached a point where they could go into a general "Give us Swell Pictures of YOU" or maybe "See & Be Seen" sort of thread?

Yikes...I think I'm the guilty one there. :eek:

Martinis at 8

Practically Family
Feraud said:
A point I want to stress is this discussion is absolutely not an "Us versus Them" one.
This is not about Members versus Moderators or New Members versus Old.
Everything we discuss is applicable to everyone on the Lounge. I have had plenty of my own comments edited or delted! It is no big deal and I cannot understand why some members take such actions so badly. Usually a moderator will give an explanation for the action. I observe some members react as if it is their God given right to express anything they want around here. I have also observed such members argue for days about how wronged they were and how awful the moderators are. My personal recommendation to those people is to create your own website and see how much work goes into it.

Well here we go. You wanted feedback...

TM

A-List Customer
Seems to me that there used to be a "news" forum in the Lounge where contemporary topics were discussed. If I remember correctly, that forum was closed last year because it was thought that too many threads were too far away from being related to the "golden era". So it looks like that what is going on with the Observation Bar is that those sorts of conversations have moved there.

I'm a moderator on another board and we don't have anything like the OB. We just have very specific forums and no real outlet for general conversation. I've frequently thought that we should add an off-topic forum. However, not having that tends to keep people on-topic.

Tony

ohairas

Call Me a Cab
Scotrace, your box was full again his morning. I'm sure you and the other bartenders have been bombarded! :)
Let me know when you've got room.
Nikki

Gingerella72

A-List Customer
Another newbie here with a newbie perspective of the OB, as it's the subforum that most of the hullaballoo is centered around......;)

I have to agree with others who said the OB should be a place where all topics, vintage and non-vintage, should be welcome (while following the rules already in place, i.e. no politics).

We are here because we love the Golden Era. But because we don't live in the Golden Era, of course our 21st century selves are present in our thoughts, words, and behaviors, albeit vintage-inspired words and thoughts for the most part. I don't recall the description of the OB being "Pretend you are in the Golden Era while here and lets pretend the 21st century doesn't exist."

While I feel the overall tone of the OB should be Golden Era inspired, I don't think topics that deal with our modern (real) issues, opinions, and experiences should be 100% taboo. Yes, there are other forums that one could patron for those things but also as others have already said - I like getting modern perspectives from people who share my love of the Golden Era. People of my same ilk. :eusa_clap

If the OB specifically isn't the place for that, then I second the idea of having an additional off-topic subforum. It would also be good to have a definitive explanation from the bartenders of what the OB is supposed to be, if not a place to kick back and talk about life in general.

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
If I understand right, it sounds like they are just doing a little more pruning than before, not digging up the whole tree and planting a new one. And that here, as everywhere else in the world, people who've built up some credibility are cut a little more slack.

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Generally speaking, the OB is a place for topics that do not fit into the other forum categories, that are of a more open nature, and appeal to this community, which, being that this is a vintage-related forum would make the vast majority of threads inherently vintage-related. .

What we have seen, and I think you will all agree, are threads and posts that range from the "you're sharing too much" category, to the bizarre, to the non-sequitors.

This is a realligning, a tweaking, we're inviting you to share your best.

Dr Doran

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Whoops, I've been guilty of posting some silly things. And "oversharing." I'll try to rein it in.

The bottom line for all of this is clear: time. The bartenders have enough stuff to do without having to deal with too many crazy threads. There just aren't enough hours in the day. If everyone can keep it closer to vintage, the forum will fulfill its purpose.

For the record, let me state that the times I have been edited, it has been for good reason and I respect the editing. It is hard to edit others' posts, and one often errs on the side of caution and that's a good thing.

ohairas

Call Me a Cab
What exacty is meant by oversharing?
Too many photos? Gross topics? TMI of personal things? What? All of the above?
I can be quite the thread hog with photos... but I also like to see other's pics, the more the better I say.
Nikki

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
ohairas said:
What exacty is meant by oversharing?
Too many photos? Gross topics? TMI of personal things? What? All of the above?
I can be quite the thread hog with photos... but I also like to see other's pics, the more the better I say.
Nikki
Photos are great! Who posts more photos than I? lol

Over-sharing is one of those things you know when you see it and they generally concern things of an overly personal nature.

Remember, a lot of stuff is nixed before everyone has a chance to see it!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24