Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Let's Talk About The Fedora Lounge

Status
Not open for further replies.

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
In recent months, we've seen a huge influx of new members - a VERY good thing. With so many new folk arriving daily, it is easy, on first glance, to think of The Fedora Lounge as a sort of social networking, shoot the breeze forum with some vintage stuff thrown in here and there.

The bartenders are in agreement that we have drifted away, in part, from our original mission: A place for folks who love all things of the Golden Era to share their common interest, plan get-togethers, and discuss the history of the era we love.

Let’s not forget that the Fedora Lounge is a repository for a vast array of knowledge on a wide range of topics from the Golden Era. To maintain the integrity of academic exchange here, a certain effort must be made to keep us on-point.

We invite your comments on this thread, but we also want you to be aware that we will be pruning threads a bit here and there to remove topics that are far off the mission of the Lounge, that are in reality more suitable to be a part of someone's personal blog, or are better suited to other forums or dating sites. The Bartenders will be making these judgments.

Please take no offense if your stuff is closed! We will do this very sparingly and with utmost respect for our fellow members.

We are doing this to keep the Lounge a vibrant and interactive place for learning and exchange. We invite you all to share your talents, discoveries, treasures, and passions for all things related to the Golden Era. We want to remain faithful to what we are about and to take this place up a notch.

We invite your thoughts.

CharlesB

Suspended
I would say that as far as the Observation Bar itself is concerned, posts need not be specifically "on topic" per se. Things like contemporary fashion, style, cars music , etc... can be seen as ok because that same flair for life and the aesthetic is what ties them so much to the past which we adore. They say that fashion comes and goes but htat style is forever. The fact that so much of these things is the legacy to that spirit makes them very much so good things to have around

Smuterella

One Too Many
I actually think a more "general" area might be useful. This forum is a rare thing, one where people seem to respect each others opinions, by and large, and where people have friends. Asking for advice outside the vintage arena is sometimes necessary and I don't why that shouldn't be allowed

Smuts <----------- renegade

:p

Caledonia

Practically Family
No offense taken, nor will be.:)

As we all know, the Lounge is possibly the most sophisticated, cultured, intelligent, polite, and welcoming forum around. Hazarding a guess, this is probably why more and more people are coming in and feeling free to chat. I concur however, and despite my own little lapses :)o ), the original focus of the Lounge is and should remain the pivot round which discussion is targetted.

Will endeavour to do better - is there not a smiley available with a little salute type thingy? :D

Best wishes to the continuation of the only forum I have as yet subscribed to, and for the reason of it's origins!

nobodyspecial

Practically Family
At least half of the topics in the observation bar are off topic from a golden era standpoint. I don't have a problem with reining in the topics, but this particular category will need to be pruned extensively. I'm not so certain this forum in general is as polite as it's made out to be, rather the moderators will simply step in sooner and take action and shut down what they consider to be offences. That's just an observation, I'm not making a statement as to whether it's a good or bad thing.

Caledonia

Practically Family
CharlesB said:
I would say that as far as the Observation Bar itself is concerned, posts need not be specifically "on topic" per se. Things like contemporary fashion, style, cars music , etc... can be seen as ok because that same flair for life and the aesthetic is what ties them so much to the past which we adore. They say that fashion comes and goes but htat style is forever. The fact that so much of these things is the legacy to that spirit makes them very much so good things to have around

Actually, I just also concurred largely with CharlesB re the Observation Bar. However, if OB threads are becoming more as you say "blogs" or similar then perhaps a little tailoring is needed to keep it in line with the original aims.

Smuterella

One Too Many
true, moderation in everything eh?

its just the other forum I'm on regularly turns into full scale flaming once a week at least. compared to that this place is like tea with the Queen

Caledonia

Practically Family
nobodyspecial said:
At least half of the topics in the observation bar are off topic from a golden era standpoint. I don't have a problem with reining in the topics, but this particular category will need to be pruned extensively. I'm not so certain this forum in general is as polite as it's made out to be, rather the moderators will simply step in sooner and take action and shut down what they consider to be offences. That's just an observation, I'm not making a statement as to whether it's a good or bad thing.

Agreed. Good Moderators are as much the makers of a good forum as the good contributors.

Martinis at 8

Practically Family
nobodyspecial said:
... I'm not so certain this forum in general is as polite as it's made out to be, rather the moderators will simply step in sooner and take action and shut down what they consider to be offences. That's just an observation, I'm not making a statement as to whether it's a good or bad thing.

I agree with the above statement. Seems to be some favoritism involved as well.

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
I think it's a really hard balance and I don't envy the bartenders for having to make these choices or keep this place on track.

On the one hand, we have a social network here and people like to bond over things that aren't specifically vintage and use this site as a way to connect with others. On the other hand, the volume of fluff here makes it hard to find the real content for those of us who care about it, or for new users who are trying to sift through a large volume of un-related threads. I'm fine with this. I do NOT care what kind of sandwich is your favorite. I AM interested in which lipstick / setting lotion / tie / car / era is your favorite though.

I can get the basic social networking stuff from my non-FL friends. At the same time, sometimes there are posts here that revolve around basic public-awareness of issues, and I think those can have a valuable place in any forum.

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
Martinis at 8 said:
I agree with the above statement. Seems to be some favoritism involved as well.

Yes, I believe this to be true as well. And it's kindof a rock and a hard place - want to keep things on-topic, but trimming things down will lead to feelings of favoritism regardless of intent. I accept that that's the way things are, and I do see some of that already. I think the mods just need to be open to member concerns about such topics and willing to address issues that members may see with aspects of moderation such as favoritism.

pgoat

One Too Many
I find this forum to be more restrictive and narrow in focus than the few others I have frequented. If that sounds negative, I don't intend it that way - I do miss the "anything goes" approach of the other sites at times, but then, I don't expect to get flamed or ragged on here, either. So it's nice to 'pull up a chair' and chat here, compared with other places on the web. The membership here are, imho, for the majority, true ladies and gentlemen.

Maybe that's as fitting a "golden era" tribute as we need!;)

I agree the mods here do a swell job. Oh, great new avatar, too , scotrace:D

Foofoogal

Banned
I understand completely the intention of this place but it took me awhile and a few slaps on the hand.
If I knew where else to go that was as active to talk about anything and everything I would. I used to do alot of yahoo groups but they soon faded out it seemed and the msn groups I was on taken over by smutaholics.
I didn't even know there were other vintage forums till the other day someone posted about it. At first I came here as a vendor to hint hint but not spam but now I am totally hooked on this place. Love to look at the dressed up peoples photos. I don't even remember how I found it.
All said I would suggest either have one forum that is private like the observation deck to yack about whatever or suggest where else one can find the same thing cause I sure haven't found it.. Hope that sounds right. Sandy

nobodyspecial

Practically Family
Smuterella said:
true, moderation in everything eh?

its just the other forum I'm on regularly turns into full scale flaming once a week at least. compared to that this place is like tea with the Queen

The other forums I participate in tend to have a smaller participant base and a narrowed set of topics discussed. These tend to have little to no flaming at all outside of occasional misunderstandings which are quickly cleared up. These forums also have moderators but they are rarely needed to put a halt to anything.

I don't envy a moderator's job, especially on a forum of this size with such a vast array of categories. Lots to keep up with and there will always be a fine line as to what should be allowed.

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
KittyT said:
On the one hand, we have a social network here and people like to bond over things that aren't specifically vintage and use this site as a way to connect with others. On the other hand, the volume of fluff here makes it hard to find the real content for those of us who care about it, or for new users who are trying to sift through a large volume of un-related threads. I'm fine with this. I do NOT care what kind of sandwich is your favorite. I AM interested in which lipstick / setting lotion / tie / car / era is your favorite though.

I can get the basic social networking stuff from my non-FL friends. At the same time, sometimes there are posts here that revolve around basic public-awareness of issues, and I think those can have a valuable place in any forum.

Agreed--looking down the list of topics on the observation bar, it looks like everything from soup to nuts. There is a LOT of non-relevant stuff to moderate. Perhaps it also costs something to store all of this data on a server.

Even though I'm more of an admirer than consumer or participant of vintage, I think this decision to stick to the FL's original mission makes sense.

It seems to me that there is a great need for civil discourse out there--maybe that's one reason people are flocking here.

Martinis at 8

Practically Family
scotrace said:
...It has always been about the whole era, fashions, movies, manners, etc. Never primarily hats.

Hmmm. Well does that mean it was primarily for vintage/retro? That's not what I was led to believe when I was invited here. Nevertheless the vintage/retro topics are a bit alluring since there is a connection with hats/fedoras.

Now are we discussing FL or are we just discussing the sub forum Observation Bar?

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Martinis at 8 said:
Now are we discussing FL or are we just discussing the sub forum Observation Bar?

The whole lounge. There are off topic threads everywhere. The OB being one of the largest concentrations.

LD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy