Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Levine's Hat Company in St. Louis

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
Read this.

"F04011 Dr. Knox

The classic wide brim fedora by Knox with pinch-crown and pleated grosgrain band. Cord and button trim, very large head sizes available in all colors. The revival of the Knox brand name is our work; a Levine Hat Company exclusive."

Brining back Knox.

Look at the edge of the hat... Looks sort of like a Self felted edge to me. I'll have to call and ask, though the picture to me looks like it has one. http://www.levinehat.com/store/comersus_viewItem.asp?idProduct=10
9.jpg

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
Matt Deckard said:
Look at the edge of the hat... Looks sort of like a Self felted edge to me. I'll have to call and ask, though the picture to me looks like it has one.

I noticed the Knox name was back a few a months ago when I did a search. Pretty cool idea. Let's see, self-felted edge, reblock it so it has less taper, add a wider ribbon... Hmm, the hat looks like it might have potential! :) So far, Baron's is the only company I've found that say they can replicate that edge, though I have no idea how it looks. Maybe somebody else has decided to bring it back as well!

Brad

K.D. Lightner

Call Me a Cab
Wow!! Thanks, guys (Johnnysan, Matt, Brad and James). I was worried about where I was going to go for hat alterations, new hats, etc. when I move back to Des Moines, Iowa, late next summer to be with my sweet, sainted mother. Levines seems worth a trip to St. Louis, plus I have a new cousin I found who lives there (found her via my geneology research on the internet). Am I stoked.... I was dreading the move, now I am looking forward to it.

Des Moines is a small city surrounded by larger cities in the Heartland: to the East is Chicago, North is Minneapolis, West is Omaha, Southwest is Kansas City and Southeast St. Louis, so any hat shops I can find in any of these places is appreciated!!! I know, of course, about Chicago, now I have a contact for St. Louis.

Speaking of Knox, over the weekend, I scored a beautiful Knox hat from Play It Again Sam, a vintage store in San Diego. It was exactly the color I was looking for for my wardrobe: a golden light tan color Knox fedora that is as soft as my vintage Borsalinos and my blue fedora. Maybe softer. I have no idea how old it is, but is has been around the block. It is so soft, I can bash it into anything I want. It has "Knox Fifth Avenue"in the crown area, also "Decarole Registered" and "Made in U.S.A." On one side of the soft, supple leather hatband, it states "Knox, New York," and the other side states "Dreyfuss and Son." Not sons, but son. It also has the word printed "Dallas" under it.

It has a slim ribbon, and reminds me, very much, of my vintage Borsalinos in style and softness. I paid $68 for it and feel like I have scored a real beauty of a hat.

Thanks for the Levine contact. It makes me feel good. I hope Know does come back, I have an old beauty of a hat now.

If hats could talk......

karol

K.D. Lightner said:
Speaking of Knox, over the weekend, I scored a beautiful Knox hat from Play It Again Sam, a vintage store in San Diego. It was exactly the color I was looking for for my wardrobe: a golden light tan color Knox fedora that is as soft as my vintage Borsalinos and my blue fedora. Maybe softer. I have no idea how old it is, but is has been around the block. It is so soft, I can bash it into anything I want. It has "Knox Fifth Avenue"in the crown area, also "Decarole Registered" and "Made in U.S.A." On one side of the soft, supple leather hatband, it states "Knox, New York," and the other side states "Dreyfuss and Son." Not sons, but son. It also has the word printed "Dallas" under it.

Pictures, pictures! The suspense is killing me. ;)
What does the liner look like?
Sounds like you found a beauty there. :cool2:

Regards to all,

j

K.D. Lightner

Call Me a Cab
I will have to have my friend who has a digital camera take photos. I am rather lost since the change in FL's rules in posting of photos, but will try. This hat is the softest thing, almost too soft, I love it.

The liner looks silky. At first I thought it was soiled; the crown liner is a different color (tan) than the sides of the crown (off white). But, a closer view shows that it is not soiled, just two different colors.

Let me first get some photos of it. Photobucket confuses me, but I love to post photos and will keep trying until I figure it out.

karol

K.D. Lightner said:
Let me first get some photos of it. Photobucket confuses me, but I love to post photos and will keep trying until I figure it out.

Save the photos to a place on your hard drive where you know it is. Then go to photobucket.com. (I am assuming you have an account there already.) Sign in---username and password. Log in. Go to the Add pictures menu below. Hit browse. Find the picture on your hard drive. Hit Submit. It will download the picture from your computer and display it in your album.
Copy the link in the URL box. Then go here to the Lounge. Open a new message. Hit the picture Icon next the world with the link on it. Insert your link into the box in the screen that opens up. Hit enter after you entered the link correctly and it will appear in your message like this:

1944KnoxFoxhound.bmp

Put your text around it and you are done (and I can see it :p )

Regards to all,

J

Johnnysan

One Too Many
I'm really glad to know that this post was helpful and well received. I really can't say enough about the positive experience I had with this company. It was like stepping back sixty years - the kind of customer service that you could only get from guys that learned the trade during its heyday.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy