Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Levis Trucker Denim - Shorten by About 4cm-5cm

KevinX3

New in Town
Hi,

Haven't been here for a number of years. Din't think I was a jacket-eer until I counted then all the way from Gibson Barnes Civil A2, CWU-45p, CWU-36p and many others. Anyway, I am not a great shape for jackets, a bit bulgy around the midriff. Also, I don't like jackets that are overly tight.

I bought a levis Denim Trucker Jacket. It's in XXL, the XL was just that bit too tight and I certainly would have trouble wearing anything under it other than a t-shirt, so no layering. I'm probably an XL and 1/2.

Most of the XXL feels OK, yes it's a tad big, but not overly (I know these jackets are meant to be snug, but cut me some slack I'm over the 3 score mark). As noted fits OK, except that the length is just too long. I can live with a bit big elsewhere, but the length grates on me. I figured about a couple of inches, but lets say the width of the band running around the bottom.

I agonised over what to do and finally decided to see if one of those alterations type places could shorten it. They said no problems ($45). So you might be saying well just get another jacket, here in our nations capital (Canberra, OZ), the ONLY large-ish trucker jacket I could get was a levis. I have mail ordered 2 previously based on their sizing and measuring me. Both were too small. One doesn't offer a larger size and the other is UK based, no exchanges (lost $20 in postage), but do give a refund.

Yes I tried on the Levis Trucker, yes it did seem long, but not annoyingly so. It's only after a week or so wearing it that it has begun to irritate (which is a pity, I like the jacket).

So the problems with shortening the jacket are twofold:

1. The bottom button is not symmetric with the other 4
2. The side pockets have little or no gap between them and the waist band (and the pocket opening is narrower)

So, question (out of curiosity) has anyone done this before (shortened a trucker Jacket)? And if so, happy with the result, and what did it look like?

FWIW, there is nothing on the web I could find regarding shortening of a denim trucker jacket unless you are talking shortening the sleeves or cropping the jacket (as in women cutting the jacket in half).

Thanks for reading,
kevin

KevinX3

New in Town
So the problems with shortening the jacket are twofold:

1. The bottom button is not symmetric with the other 4
2. The side pockets have little or no gap between them and the waist band (and the pocket opening is narrower)

OK so update. I stewed over this issue and decided that serious jacket surgery wasn't going to work. I rang up the vendor (it's been two days since I bought the jacket) and they were happy enough to take it back. I raced down to the alterations place, they hadn't started cutting yet so got the jacket and my $45 back.

Got a full refund for the XXL and just happened to find an XL in the store next door PLUS they were having a one day only 30% off sale. Tried on the XL again and look, it's tight around the midriff, but everything else is a much, much better fit. So got the XL and am quite ecstatic with the outcome (doesn't often work that way).

As an aside as I was buying the jacket a young guy was buying the same jacket. He was taller than me, reasonably well built (not a skinny kid, had some condition on him). I looked at the size of the jacket expecting L or XL. It was an S, no kidding. He would have had to paint it on or pour himself into it...

Cheers,
kevin

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vladyslav