Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Lewis Dominator review

DirtyHarry

Familiar Face
I have stared at the side buckles for quite a time to try to figure a better way to route them, no way to avoid the original shoddy design. uniforms these days (at least the work ones like this) are not made to fit too well. With dress blues the jacket would rock, but then someone would chew my ear off when they wondered why they didn't get issued a Lewis

garzo

One of the Regulars
I don't ever dress like this, but just got off work & am answering the pic requests
IMG_0017_zps2c97454b.jpg

note the rear of the buckle that flares out to grab all unsuspecting stationary objects
IMG_0019_zps985c8c42.jpg

I have a Lewis Dominator too and I dig it -- it's a classic jacket. The buckles on mine lay flat, they don't flare out and I've never had a problem with them, other than the stitching coming undone on one of the side-straps, which I had a local tailor take care of.

Here a close-up of my side-strap buckle:

buckle_photo_zps52685998.jpg

IXL

One Too Many
Those two buckles do not apear to be threaded in the same manner, taking into consideration one is a right-side, and the other a left-side belt. If the problematic one were to be buckled as is the bottom one, Im sure it too would lay flat.

garzo

One of the Regulars
The jacket in the bottom picture is facing left, so it's the same set-up. Yes, Dirty Harry should be able to thread his strap just like mine and it would lay flat with no problem. It looks like he has a one too many loops on his strap.

IXL

One Too Many
Maybe I wasn't being clear. I'm aware (and stated) the two different jackets featured images of differing sides; one left, and one right. That wasn't the issue. The issue was that the Dirty Harry jacket was not buckled, regardless of the side facing the camera, in the same manner as yours. :)

DirtyHarry

Familiar Face
looking at this pic and playing with mine some more, I still have the feeling some asshole sewed these on backwards. I just drove up to SF and got fitted for a custom jacket from Johnson leathers....with plaid lining and no side buckles to snag to boot. However, upon review of pics & jacket I will be contacting Lewis with a WTF. I just ordered tri-slide buckles from Britain to have a tailor retrofit on to this jacket, & this problem is the entire reason I went with a buckle-less side on my Johnson jacket today.

On a side note, Johnson leathers in SF was 33% cheaper than Aero while being custom fit, guaranteed for life, US made, & custom out the wazoo i.e. map pockets, leather choice, hardware, tailored, yada yada yada. will post pics when she is born August 19.

P5640blouson

One of the Regulars
The buckle will not lay flat if used the way its designed to. The second pick will not cinch successfully, but if you don't need to cinch it then that is fine. These are moto jackets designed for riding bikes like the café racers of yesteryear, etc. As a result they will not perform nicely with your cozy vehicle interiors. Regarding fit, it all depends what you need to do with it. I ride with my super Monza and it does have some room to spare for something a little more than a t-shirt. I am glad for the extra bit of room as its so darn hot in the summer and my super Monza is white, for summer use. If I want to reduce wind slap, I simply use the second button on the collar snap, and tighten the cinch straps to prevent ride-up on the backside. For winter I use my black Buco J-100 or J-22 from the Real McCoys made of horsehide. YMMV

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy