Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Life with ONE great Leather Jacket vs. Life with MANY Leather Jackets

Jim Flynn

Familiar Face
Finally got home to try on my new to me 1980s Schott Perfecto 618. Condition good for the age I thought and I was surprised at how light it was and how short, especially in a size 50. Like it though!
I also had back the Eastman A2 I sent off to be relined, rezipped and recuffed. That was an ebay purchase gone wrong where the condition didn't meet the hype shall we say. Anyway, it now looks great.

bn1966

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Has made me reflective...I've got quite a few & could live with a few less. I'm going to keep those that have seen regular service in the last couple of years and the rarer and more historical (service issued USAF nylon). Barely worn reproductions and duplicate buys will be going on e-bay ;-)

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
my-jacket-zipper-update.jpg my-jacket-doublezipper2.jpg
today I collected my jacket after main zipper update, now it has double back to back zipper heads. Also some nice & fat creases has formed on the sleeve after daily use for few months.

Attachments

• my-jacket-doublezipper2_zpszselhgpr.jpg
    my-jacket-doublezipper2_zpszselhgpr.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 535

devilish

A-List Customer
I don't have an infinite budget for leather jackets so what I've tried to do is get a rotation of few really nice ones. I like flight jackets so I have an A-1, a russet A-2, a seal A-2 and a 55J14 G-1. All made by Good Wear. I have just added the last piece of the puzzle in an ELC BoB Irvin. All see or will see regular wear. The only things I might add at some point are originals. An A-2 and an Irvin type but those will be mostly for the historic significance.

ykurtz

One of the Regulars
I don't have an infinite budget for leather jackets so what I've tried to do is get a rotation of few really nice ones. I like flight jackets so I have an A-1, a russet A-2, a seal A-2 and a 55J14 G-1. All made by Good Wear. I have just added the last piece of the puzzle in an ELC BoB Irvin. All see or will see regular wear. The only things I might add at some point are originals. An A-2 and an Irvin type but those will be mostly for the historic significance.
Assuming the weather in San Francisco is as I remember it, those military jackets are very appropriate. I remember experiencing 80s in Palo Alto/Mountain View and then dipping into the 50s while in the city, etc., with plenty of shadow and wind.

devilish

A-List Customer
^This is true. It gets colder here in SF than most people would think. Especially when the fog rolls back in after just a few hours of it rolling out in the morning. So I have gotten to put all the American flight jackets to good use. I will however be moving back to my homeland in a few short months (the U.K.) and when winter rolls around again the Irvin will then earn it's keep too.

technovox

One Too Many
Assuming the weather in San Francisco is as I remember it, those military jackets are very appropriate. I remember experiencing 80s in Palo Alto/Mountain View and then dipping into the 50s while in the city, etc., with plenty of shadow and wind.

Exactly. Even in San Francisco city limits, temps can range from 80's downtown to a brisk 50 out by the beach, and everything in between. My experience has been that the heavier FQHH (or cowhide) doesn't work as well as the lighter HH and layers.

the loco

One of the Regulars
I like changing styles (perfecto, g-1, trucker, ma-1, track top, leatherman come to mind and still want to add few more styles - HWM, easy rider, pea coat), but have yet to add a top brand leather jacket to the collection.

However, sometimes I feel to be changing too much and wear the same jacket a couple of weeks.

mendelboaz

One Too Many
View attachment 25124 View attachment 25125
today I collected my jacket after main zipper update, now it has double back to back zipper heads. Also some nice & fat creases has formed on the sleeve after daily use for few months.

Holy smokes! The fact that you designed that jacket yourself is amazing! Jacket looks top-notch, and the workmanship actually seems to be quite good.

Truth be told, I would love to be that one jacket guy. The romance surrounding a life with one trusty leather jacket has always appealed to me and it is the life I have sought after ever since I was a little boy and saw Indiana Jones. But the thought of not having a Cafe Racer jacket, or not having an A-2 or not having a Highwayman style jacket or a D-pocket... I just can't imagine it. I wouldn't want to do that, I think. That said, if I were to have only ONE jacket.. Definitely my brown steerhide Zip Sleeve Highwayman. There isn't a better looking jacket out there for me, the leather and lining are perfect and I can still grow into it a bit...

MacAero

New in Town
You have only ONE life to live, so why should you reduce your addiction for leather jackets to just one? As long as you're still the master of your desires and not the slave everything is fine ;)

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
Thank you Mendelboaz,
that was my original plan, to design a perfect jacket and be happy with just that for life... but that was 4 months ago
it is hard to keep such vow while being teased by sights of great jackets everyday, so now I'm expecting a new "child" :p

nick123

I'll Lock Up
Everything for me has been switched around this week. As it stands, I'd keep my recently reacquired Aerial Star A-2 for the one jacket. That is until
I get my dream crazy jacket with a bunch of flowers and stuff on it.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    754.6 KB · Views: 552

dudewuttheheck

I'll Lock Up
Even a very luxurious jacket could be a beater jacket. Any jacket can be the jacket you wear everywhere and treat like crap :)

Agreed. I beat the crap out of my jacket which is made out of Shinki which is a rather expensive leather. That's how leather jackets should be treated IMO:D

Even if I could afford several leather jackets, I don't think I would 'reserve' any of them or treat any better than the other.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yamamoto