Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Light weight felt hats

Art Fawcett

Sponsoring Affiliate
Just the smoke of flying felts & curling ribbons Scott!!! I've finished the first few and just for kicks I weighed the first one on a postal scale. Final result, unlined? 2.8 oz. Having a hard time keeping them from floating away ;)

carter

I'll Lock Up
Another Fish Story

Gentlemen, It takes an intrepid sole to post a fish story at the risk of being filleted. The only time I ever caught Halibut was off the coast of Alaska and it's just like hauling up an old tire filled with water once you get the fish off the bottom. A bottom dwelling fish, hence the location of the eyes. I hooked something big at 300' on very heavy tackle using the head and gills of a Silver for bait. After breaking my back, the line parted with a snap at 200'. Either a monster Halibut of the pizza truck lost off a transport in the Hawaiian Islands a few years ago. Don't ask me how that truck got within 30 miles of the Alaskan coast. I'd rather fish for King Salmon and Silvers. At least the move once they're hooked!
Art, after our conversation this morning, I read this entire thread. If still available, please put me in the queue for a Lightweight Felt. I really like the Sportaire style with a 5 1/2 inch crown and a 2 3/4 inch brim. I'm thinking a tri-strip band of sky blue/pale yellow/sky blue with a pale yellow band for the brim. However, you are the man, so your decision works for me.
Looks like I'll be joining the Hat of the Month Club for just a while.

Art Fawcett

Sponsoring Affiliate
lol lol lol

I think I found that pizza truck BN... & still unsurfaced!! Now that you mention it, it WAS like pulling up a tire, at least till they saw the boat.

I'd be happy to add the Tropic-Aire ( fancy name for "good lord thats lite") to your list Sir and Welcome to the Lounge!!

carter

I'll Lock Up
Good Hat That's Light

Heck, I like a good hat no matter the weight. Of course, "like" doesn't necessarily mean "wear regularly". denizens of the DFW metroplex need lightweight felt like horses need water. How do you think the Rt. 66 will look going down the hwy in a ragtop?

carter

I'll Lock Up
...the beautiful lady at your side...

Well, there was this dame from St. Louis,,,ahh, that's a story for Glenmorangie straight and a Macanudo (handcrafted by the sixteen men of Tain)(the single malt, not the macanudo) on an evening by the fire.
I do have a lovely girl named Blanca. The prettiest retriever you've ever seen. Looks especially fetching in goggles. May look even better in a custom fedora. Ears could be a problem. Hmmm...

Rafter

Suspended
I just got this hat on e-bay for $15.23. I thought that was a good deal.
I'm heading out to the SouthWest this summer and wanted an inexpensive ready to wear lightweight felt.
The "Minnetonka 9559" is constructed from lightweight water-repellant wool felt. And if I fall off my horse while wearing it, I"ll have nothing to worry about 'cause the "special crushable wool felt" is supposed to return to its original shape.

Minnetonka9559.jpg

carter

I'll Lock Up
Heading out to the Southwest this summer

Well, it gets really warm in this part of the lower 48 come summer. Best of luck with your new hat.
If it proves to be a tad HOT, take a look at the folks that are working farm and/or ranch hands. Most of them wear straw hats purchased at the local feed store for around $25.00.
I actually have a straw hat that I purchased in a Moravian feed store in New Philadelphia, OH over 30 years ago. It still holds it's shape and the ribbonband is still intact though faded. My favorite thing about this hat is, you can soak it in water and reshape the brim as well as cool off. This hat is nearly as tight as the day I bought it.
There's a reason why summer straws in many varieties have a lengthy history. Whatever you wear, have a great trip!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grateful Fred