Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Light weight felt hats

DOUGLAS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
If I didn't make myself clear before,please add me to the list for a natural...2-1/2" unbound brim and a 5-1/2" open crown with no liner. PLEASE:)

Art Fawcett

Sponsoring Affiliate
Ideaguy, your on the list!! Matt, I agree and will do what's necessary to customise it for you. Douglas, thanks for the clarification. I haven't started listing anyone until today and in fact have started as of today taking orders for them. The only caveat Douglas is that this felt is so thin I really feel that I have to bind it. I have been working on the second prototype ( STILL) and just can't get what I want out of the brim.

As I said earlier in this post that I have started taking orders for these. I won't go over the thread to pick out names & start PMing anyone because this really was meant to give me a feel for the demand so I don't feel it would be appropriate for me to do that. If you would like to be on the "List" please just PM me or call, or email and we can go from there. I know, many of you have already asked to be included and probably wouldn't mind a PM but I want to be careful here. There may come a time when I need feedback again and don't want anyone feel that they may be accosted for an order if they respond with opinions.
I know you all understand..

jsecunda

New in Town
Well, I'm on the list-may be first for all I know. So, here's my question. Is it insane to buy a black summer fedora, or is the color to heat ratio overexaggerated? And.......what does "natural" look like? (The hat will be used very casually-walking the beach, hiking and so on.

Thanks for your advice-
js

ScionPI2005

Call Me a Cab
Hi Art,
I just joined this forum a few days ago, and just started viewing this thread just now. I live in Abq New Mexico, and it does indeed get pretty hot here in the summer, just like some of the other folks here and where they live.

I briefly looked at your website, very awesome hats indeed!

Anyway, you can put me down as interested in your new thin fur style. I think I would be interested in the "natural" color.

So yes, I'll just get in line behind the others, and see how it goes out. I guess I'm also curious as to exactly how much your hats cost. Should I email you on your site about that?

Anyways, I'll keep my eyes out.

Davidson

One of the Regulars
jsecunda said:
Well, I'm on the list-may be first for all I know. So, here's my question. Is it insane to buy a black summer fedora, or is the color to heat ratio overexaggerated?
Don't know your location, but today here in Dallas the weather was such that I just put away my black shirts until cool weather returns in, if we are lucky, October. 5 minutes outside and you notice the difference. I doubt I'll be wearing any black hats until then here either. But I don't have the experience to say for sure.

But places with cooler summers it could be OK.

Art Fawcett

Sponsoring Affiliate
J, I pictured the "natural" I think on the second page of this thread. It's a medium/light brown. Although my everyday hat for years was a black Borso, I always switched to panama's when it got hot so I don't have any real data for you on the color and how it compares to lighter felts but I can guess it's hotter. Natural is a pretty neutral color so I don't see any issues with you're wearing it on the beach.
Scion, Welcome to the Lounge. I'm afraid it's against policy here to give out prices etc so I need to ask you to just check out my website and you'll see that all of my 100% beavers are the same price. This will be also ., and Thanks for the kind words about my hats. I have SO many more designs that I just haven't had the time to post.
Please contact me via either PM or email & we can get to specifics.

jsecunda

New in Town
Thanks for the advice, folks re: the inadvisability of a black summer fedora. By the way, if you order a hat from Art, beware the so-called "conformer" he will send you to allegedly determine your hat size. Once you have it on and properly tightened, you'll confess to absolutely anything to get someone to take it off you.
You have been warned-
js:eek:

Not-Bogart13

Call Me a Cab
Art, I just bumped into this thread. I can't say "put my on a list" for a predictable purchase, but you know I love light, soft hats. However, I can barely wear straw in the summer, never mind felt. If it's still an option when the weather gets cooler (and the wallet gets fatter), I'm debating a brown down the line, but I'll just see what colors you really have when the time comes. Either way, you can count on a sale to me (later if not sooner).
NB

Art Fawcett

Sponsoring Affiliate
Thanks NB, I'm really thinking this will be a long term thing and that new colors will be coming down the line. I know that Greg is pleasantly surprised at the response to the lightweights already.
BTW..I got 2 doz in on Tuesday and they are terrific!!! Now..if the darned thin leathers would show up I'll be working OT..:rolleyes:

Art Fawcett

Sponsoring Affiliate
yup Alan, this is the first run and all "natural" color.

Just to clear things up a bit for those who don't know me and what I do, I order felts by the dozens and keep them in stock. I've had a few inquiries lately where the expectations are that I will have to order felts, adding to the wait time. This is not the case. At the moment (without checking) I have 22 colors of dress weight bodies totalling somewhere in the neighborhood of 500 available. Of these first 24 in featherweights, 17 are spoken for but that leaves some for inventory. As new featherweight colors become available I will be stocking those also as I have a standing order with Winchester for them so just be patient & it'll all come together.

majormoore

Vendor
I was at the plant today to pick up several western hat bodies, while there I asked if the new 2.5 oz body for Art was there, they handed to me the nicest, lightest hat, you will ever feel, anyone who has not got Art making one now, you better get one on order. I begged and offered more money, but could not get one. Ha-ha

They did tell me that these bodies were very hard to make, but one of the greatest things we hatters have in Greg at Winchester Hats, who goes the extra mile for all of us. He does not mind working with us on things, or helping us find things that may have been hard or unable to find.

Art, if you read this "ole buddy" how about letting me have one of those 2.5 oz bodies, so I can make me one of these hats. You and Greg need to pat yourself's on the back, you did great on this hat. I really think when the body is sanded and shaped it will feel just like the hats from the old days we all dream of.

Please send me one!!!!!!!!!

Mike Moore

AlanC

You've got me salivating, Mike.
drool.gif

How are those new sweatbands coming along, Art? ;)

Art Fawcett

Sponsoring Affiliate
Consider it done Mike!!! I wasn't aware that Greg wouldn't sell to other hatters. Too Cool...
Alan, I received the invoice for the leathers Monday so if all falls normally I will have them by the end of this week. Spoke with my leather guy yesterday and he tells me these are the lightest he is capable of making and still maintain "military" standards so we'll see. I will start preblocking today but I am going out of town Thurs & Fri so this will be a busy weekend.:) For the first time since moving up here I get to go fishing...sorry guys, the Halibut are waiting..

Art Fawcett said:
Consider it done Mike!!! I wasn't aware that Greg wouldn't sell to other hatters. Too Cool...
Alan, I received the invoice for the leathers Monday so if all falls normally I will have them by the end of this week. Spoke with my leather guy yesterday and he tells me these are the lightest he is capable of making and still maintain "military" standards so we'll see. I will start preblocking today but I am going out of town Thurs & Fri so this will be a busy weekend.:) For the first time since moving up here I get to go fishing...sorry guys, the Halibut are waiting..

Sounds like they are going to be great hats. :eusa_clap
So you are going fishing for the halibut? ;) :p

Regards,

J

AlanC

I know some of you gents have a summer felt from Art on order. Are any of you willing to share what specs you're considering?

duggap

Banned
Summer Felt

Alan, I asked for the Tucker style as I like the center bash and the overall style of the hat. It is a 5 3/4 crown and a brim of 2 5/8. I did ask for a little taller ribbon on mine over the model on his web page. Looking forward to getting to try it on. :eusa_clap

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner