Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

lighter help

tuppence

Practically Family
Can anyone tell me how this lighter works. I have one similar but without the insides. I am assuming it's wool. Any help would be appreciated
0a4b_1.jpg

EDIT: I replaced the url tags with the IMG tags, so the photo will show up now. IMG tags are what you use to post the photos.:)

High Pockets

Practically Family
If it's anything like the old Zippos I used years ago, it looks upside down in the photo.
If it is,....the bottom is off to show the fluffy filler material which absorbs the lighter fluid, the bottom of the wick, and the screw that is actually a retainer for the little round flints and a long spring.
You would take the bottom off, (as it's shown) and fill it with fluid, replace the bottom, turn it right side up and remove the red "top", to strike and light it.

:) This is all just a guess and could be completely wrong.

1930_Italian

New in Town
High Pockets said:
If it's anything like the old Zippos I used years ago, it looks upside down in the photo.
If it is,....the bottom is off to show the fluffy filler material which absorbs the lighter fluid, the bottom of the wick, and the screw that is actually a retainer for the little round flints and a long spring.
You would take the bottom off, (as it's shown) and fill it with fluid, replace the bottom, turn it right side up and remove the red "top", to strike and light it.

:) This is all just a guess and could be completely wrong.

I agree, I have seen these before and I think that HighPockets is dead on.

Big_e

Practically Family
According to the patent, that screw is the cover to the flint magazine to place several spare flints in. You may find a cork stopper in the tube instead of the spring that zippo uses since the inventor says he prefers a cork stopper to prevent the flints from rattling in the magazine.
You'll remove the top cap, strike the wick then, to extinguish the flame place the top cap back on. The top cap is supposed to fit tightly enough to prevent evaporation of the fluid. I guess it all slides together similar to what a lipstick shell ought to work like?
Ernest

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner