Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Like hell it's yours! Hat cards

WideBrimm

A-List Customer
I like to think most people are honest. So I put a business card in the sweat band of every hat & keep it in place with a couple stitches with needle & thread. So far I haven't been forgetful and left a hat somewhere. But I'm sure that day will come.

"Like Hell It's Yours" cards seem (these days) to be reminders to persons who have no business seeing the inside of your hat that they have no business seeing the inside of your hat.
As has been touched upon in other threads, some people (I use the term generously) apparently think it is acceptable to handle another person's hat. They fancy themselves clever fellows, I suppose, real life-of-the-party types. (Come to think of it, a lampshade might look more appropriate ... ) The card tells them what the hat's owner thinks of their behavior, and tells far finer people how this stray hat they came upon might be returned to its rightful owner.

Shaul-Ike Cohen

One Too Many
With the faintly possible danger of touching on your reputation, an alternative might be very effective to prevent people from trying on or stealing your hat. You could put in an ad for a delousing tincture.

handlebar bart

Call Me a Cab
FL Hat cards?

Art includes his 'don't touch me' cards with each hat, which is a real cool touch. Wouldn't it be neat if there were Fedora Lounge cards we could put in our lids. Perhaps with the FL logo and a snappy comment, along with a spot for the owners info. Just an idea.[huh]

handlebar bart

Call Me a Cab
Thanks for the reply Art. I looked at the FL shop and didn't see any. If anyone has a spare one I would pay for the trouble to get one that I could copy.:D

Forgotten Man

One Too Many
I recall buying a 40s Dobb's from ebay and it had a card in the sweat band that read:

HELL NO IT'S YOUR HAT PUT IT BACK!

Then, it had lines for the name and address of the owner... the card wasn't filled in, I'll have to dig it up.

Just goes to show men were pretty particular about their hats then as we are about ours today. Some things never change.

ScionPI2005

Call Me a Cab
Forgotten Man said:
I recall buying a 40s Dobb's from ebay and it had a card in the sweat band that read:

HELL NO IT'S YOUR HAT PUT IT BACK!

Then, it had lines for the name and address of the owner... the card wasn't filled in, I'll have to dig it up.

Just goes to show men were pretty particular about their hats then as we are about ours today. Some things never change.

The Biltmore fedora I used to wear back in high school had a card that said pretty much the same thing. Every time a fellow classmate reached to pick up my hat without asking, I'd tell them to look at the card on the inside. I really didn't mind people checking out my hat, but I definitely appreciated them asking first, and then treating the hat respectfully. You don't normally toss someone's best friend around and sit them on the ground. The same respect should be shown for one's property.

Madcap72

One of the Regulars
My Dad does a lot of team roping and grew up working on horse ranches, I always loved his hat that had "LIKE HELL IT'S YOURS!" on the inside.

AlanC

My Mail is Forwarded Here
They'd be easy enough to throw together in Publisher, etc. Here's one from the auction HatDoc just won:

strawfedora3tu6.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zonko