Lincoln Bennett Homburg approx 7 1/8 or 7 1/4 US

Discussion in 'Vintage Finds and Deals' started by Baron Kurtz, Aug 24, 2012.

1. There's a late 20s or early 30s Lincoln Bennett homburg in Cancer Research UK shop at the top of Walthamstow High Street, London E17.

Fits like a 7 1/8, small 7 1/4 (US sizes). Price was £50 so I didn't pick it up. Sweatband was a bit detached at the front. Lovely old liner and deep, very light brown calfskin sweatband.

It should be there for a few days at that price should someone want to go pick it up.

bk

2. Two Types

Two Types I'll Lock Up

How come I never spot anything that old in charity shops? (And believe me, it isn't for want of looking).

3. Walthamstow's quite unpicked, and one of the last bastions of the poor inner Londoner. I find quite a lot out here.

bk

4. Two Types

Two Types I'll Lock Up

You are not supposed to say that sort of thing. You might find poachers on your patch!

I had always expected that Reigate, being a relatively affluent place, might be good for suits. But nothing ever turns up when I check. However, Redhill (just down the road and with much less money) is a better hunting ground. The Salvation Amy shop has always got a few good ties and cravats.
    Bromley and Beckenham are the worst of all. Nothing, absolutely zero, ever turns up. The nearest i came to being tempted was a modern three piece suit in lightweight scarlet wool. it was awful. But i was tempted to buy it just to sell onto someone who wanted a laugh (it was only £9 after all).

5. Chingford - another enclave of traditional London - is equally good, and unpicked. I find Stoke Newington to be quite productive also. Maybe all the Jewish families hold on to grandad's things?

bk

6. In other words: lots of black Borsalinos in Stokey.

7. Ben Stephens

Ben Stephens One of the Regulars

I find Aldershot/North Camp quite good. Lots of Army officers with large houses around there. A few goodies have come from the local charity shops

8. Two Types

Two Types I'll Lock Up

Army officers' old clothes? So you buy all the good ones, leaving 'Hogspear' to pick up the ones that have been moth eaten?

9. Ben Stephens

Ben Stephens One of the Regulars

I can't comment;-)