Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Linney's hats?

Maguire

Practically Family
I stumbled upon a brown fur felt fedora at a shop in Kerry earlier today . I've seen these in tourist shops before, it cost me 64 euro but being that it is fur felt i figured it was worth buying. Anyone heard of this brand (Linney's) before? Here are some photos of the hat, it seems to be a good hat, i may have been ripped off, i may have gotten a great deal, but I'm curious as they don't seem to have a website. This brand is surprisingly common here.

DSCF1812.jpg
DSCF1813.jpg

carldelo

One Too Many
Looks like a nice lid, is it vintage? Where are you, exactly, to buy a hat in Euro?

And, yes please, get that hat off the bed, it's giving me the heebie-jeebies....

charlie farley

One of the Regulars
They are sold here in Edinburgh, Scotland in a little hat shop near the grassmarket (Fabhatrix) I saw a lovely one called the "Classic" which has a taller crown than usually found on British hats.It cost £70.00. They have a website www.fabhatrix.com but as yet,don't have a mens section online.The crown on the "Classic" was definately taller than the Christys I was wearing at the time and I loved the grey colour of the hat.

Maguire

Practically Family
I'm unfamiliar with the reason for not putting a hat on a bed? I just was taking the picture there, its on the dresser, but since i'm in a B & B i don't have much room. It isn't vintage but its felt is really soft and pliable. i'll take pictures with it once i am actually wearing it.

besdor

Vendor/Sponsor
Your Linney hat was made in the Czech Republic by Tonak. Linney is a name used by an importer located in England called Try and Lilly. 70 pounds is about right for the hat although it can be found for less here in the USA.

Steven
www.bencrafthats.com

RobStC

A-List Customer
charlie farley said:
They are sold here in Edinburgh, Scotland in a little hat shop near the grassmarket (Fabhatrix) I saw a lovely one called the "Classic" which has a taller crown than usually found on British hats.It cost £70.00. They have a website www.fabhatrix.com but as yet,don't have a mens section online.The crown on the "Classic" was definately taller than the Christys I was wearing at the time and I loved the grey colour of the hat.

Hey, someone else who lives in Edinburgh? Great!

A Linney 'Graduate' from Fabhatrix was my first attempt to find a 'wear it everyday' hat, after toying with vintage Homburgs for a while. Had a Linney in grey and still have one in dark brown, but don't wear it now, largely because I eventually figured the crown tapered too much for me, and then I discovered Akubra Fed IV's via the Lounge. So fond memories of the Linneys, but I have to say the felt quality doesn't strike me as any better than just ok. Never could quite get it to hold a bash that satisfied.....

RobStC

charlie farley

One of the Regulars
RobStC said:
Hey, someone else who lives in Edinburgh? Great!

A Linney 'Graduate' from Fabhatrix was my first attempt to find a 'wear it everyday' hat, after toying with vintage Homburgs for a while. Had a Linney in grey and still have one in dark brown, but don't wear it now, largely because I eventually figured the crown tapered too much for me, and then I discovered Akubra Fed IV's via the Lounge. So fond memories of the Linneys, but I have to say the felt quality doesn't strike me as any better than just ok. Never could quite get it to hold a bash that satisfied.....

RobStC

I no longer live in Edinburgh but I'd like to get back there some day.I saw a few fedoras mostly stingy brims last time I was there so lets hope there's even more this year.Have you had any reason to contribute to the nicest/dumbest comments thread as a result of wearing hats in Edinburgh,RobStC ?I got an "Oh for goodness sake!"

Boucaneer

New in Town
Here is some information on the Companies below.

" Try & Lilly Ltd of Liverpool, established in 1864, “manufacture and market headwear from their factory in Liverpool” according to their website. They manufacture uniform caps for police, army, navy and air force personnel across the world. They also make corporate hats for industry. They also say on their website “In recent years, Try & Lilly have seen a rise in the demand from overseas markets where quality uniform caps, manufactured in England are required.” Linney Headwear is made in Liverpool at Try & Lilly’s premises, who presumably own the brand name Walker, Ashworth & Linney/Linney Headwear. Linney Headwear sell leisure hats such as felt hats, tweed hats and caps and summer hats. There’s a short basic history of Linney here. It seems that Linney hat production was later moved to the Czech Republic and the hats were or are made by a company called Tonak there. The Denton premises were closed in 1978 and the Hyde premise they had moved to closed in 1980. So although historically Linney hats were made in England it would appear that at least some of their products are now foreign made, although “Linney Headwear is now made in Liverpool at Try & Lilly’s premises” according to the Try & Lilly website. Possibly some or even most of both Linney and Try & Lilly hats are now foreign made, so before ordering I suggest checking where the hat you want will be made. Very little specific information on country of manufacture is given on the Try & Lilly website or about which of their hats, if any, are UK made. Try & Lilly also appear to own or be connected in some way with Supreme Visors of Runcorn who make safety headwear, helmets and visors, including visors for helmets, helmets, police helmet linings, bowler hats, navy hats, riot helmets, mine clearance helmets, bomb disposal helmets, helmets for industrial applications, industrial hoods, spray painting hoods, microlight screens, and forklift screens. No country of origin information is given on their website but I get the impression that some of their products might be made in the UK in their own factory whilst others are imported, but do check county of origin with them before buying –"

Boucaneer

New in Town
Although according to the website Linney's hats are made in Liverpool, U.K, quoted in the link below.

http://tryandlilly.co.uk/leisure

" Linney Headwear is now made in Liverpool at Try & Lilly’s premises, but should you visit Denton today, you will see a tribute to the Hatting industry that was. A bronze Statue stands in Jubilee Square, Albert Street, Denton entitled ‘Tipping the Denton Linney‘. This bronze statue shows a man doffing his Linney hat, once manufactured in the town. The statue is dedicated to the workers of the Hatting Industry. "

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy