Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Lipliner...?

Etienne

A-List Customer
Does anyone know when lipliners came on the scene? Were they always in lip pencil form? I know that I have used them for at least 35 years, but can't recall if that's when I discovered them or if that's when they first came on the market...

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
I believe lip liner came on the scene in about 1938-39. However, from my research it appears that applying lipstick using a brush was the most popular method of application during the 1930s-50s.

I use lip liner though, as it really helps prevent smears and also makes your lipstick last longer.

~landgirl~

A-List Customer
I really struggle to apply lip liner and lipstick for that matter! I have 'rose bud' shaped lips and find it hard to draw the corners in, so it manages to go over and then it's ruined! Also red lipstick (I got brought some besame red) makes my mouth look even smaller - I would be interested in any tips?

RetroModelSari

Practically Family
I have problems with my corners, too. Mostly I just open my mouth to the fullest and than try to draw around. Sometimes it works and sometimes I got to take it all off again and try again. I readed you have the Besame Red Lipstick. I can totally recommend to buy the lipliner, too. It is easier to apply than most of the other liners that I have. ;)

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
You can always overdraw your mouth slightly to achieve a more period shape (this was common in the 1940s.)

I find that if you have trouble with lipstick smearing (I often do with red lipstick, as that is its nature), it does help to apply a mattifying product (one designed to control oil on your skin) to your lips. This helps the lipstick become more budgeproof.

You can also use a clear lipliner (often called reverse lipliner) or a flesh toned lipliner just outside of your lipline to help keep the color contained.

http://www.sephora.com/browse/product.jhtml?id=P36735&shouldPaginate=true&categoryId=4257

http://www.sephora.com/browse/product.jhtml?id=P59461&shouldPaginate=true&categoryId=5706

Another option that may work for you is to take a sealant product like Benefit Shelaq and apply it either over your lipstick, or outside your lips to reduce/prevent smearing.

http://www.sephora.com/browse/product.jhtml?id=P1288&shouldPaginate=true&categoryId=5333

Nashoba

One Too Many
I've also found that with the smearing and feathering problem I've been really impressed by Cover Girl's Colorstay. I didn't think it would work very well but it was on sale and really cheap so I figured what the heck. the store I bought it from has a 100% guarantee on cosmetics so I had nothing to lose. I was really impressed. It has a base color and then a clear gloss sealer to add a little shine. I've used it with and without the clear gloss over it and it really stays on. It barely even came off on a glass.

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
You can use Cover Girl Outlast as a base for your regular lipstick. I often find that Outlast is very dry/peels easily (plus they only offer one true red, though it's a good one), but it can be topped with regular lipstick instead of the gloss to create a longer lasting regular lipstick in a wider range of colors.

BegintheBeguine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
These work great for me.
http://www.buymebeauty.com and type in search Adrien Arpel Lipstick Lock.
This site also has the incredible Bourjois Rouge Connection lipsticks @3.59 ea (!) and Waterproof Lipsticks @4.99 both in several red shades

http://www.galehayman.com/specials/colorwashes.htm
The eye and lip primer is my favorite, you only use the tiniest amount, like the head of a pin, it works for all skin tones even though it is only available in the set. [huh]
I've almost quit using lip liner (though I haven't thrown any of the many pencils away ;) ). Lining outside the lip can go horribly wrong. When I saw Strangers on a Train on the big screen all I could focus on was Ruth Roman's overdrawn lips!! Wipe that off, girl!
I have started applying lipstick in the opposite way with no smears: fill in the center of the lips and draw the tube of brush outward. Perfect every time.
My mom said she never used lip liner in the 40s or ever. She uses Outlast every day now.

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
Overdrawing is an art--I slightly overdraw my mouth and it looks just fine. But I've seen other girls who over accentuate the effects and end up looking a little too Joan Crawford-esque for me. Incidentally, I sometimes think that shape of Lucille Ball’s mouth in the 40s was a bit much, but I have had a number of men tell me that she had the sexiest shaped mouth around [huh]

The lipstick application instructions I have read in 40s magazines instruct you to fill in your lips with a brush using vertical motions (not side to side, but downward in short strokes.) I hardly ever use a lip brush so I can't say which method works best for me.

How do those waterproof lipsticks compare to CG Outlast?

BegintheBeguine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Yes too much overdrawing is bad. A little is gorgeous.
I always chuckle at the name Waterproof: I've never had a lipstick splash off in the rain or by a water fountain! lol They go on beautifully, though, the color doesn't change on me and they last a little longer than a regular lipstick, but in no way are they Outlasts. The case is cuter!

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
I have tried and tried to overdraw my lips, but I don't think it is ever going to work for me! I need to be shown my a professional I think!

The trick is to not overdo it--start small. Apply foundation to your lips to tone down the natural color/lipline. Using short strokes, start at the center of your top lip and outline it slightly above the natural line (I usually stick to the natural cupid's bow and round out the top ever so slightly.) Repeat on the bottom, and fill in with liner.

Or, play up your bee-stung lips, which were certainly very popular in an earlier era :)

I always chuckle at the name Waterproof: I've never had a lipstick splash off in the rain or by a water fountain! They go on beautifully, though, the color doesn't change on me and they last a little longer than a regular lipstick, but in no way are they Outlasts. The case is cuter!

Very true! That reminds me of an old David Letterman joke where he commented on the "keep away from open flame" warning on a can of shaving cream. His response was "I'll remember that the next time I shave over a roaring fire in my sink!"

Anyway, I'll probably stick with Outlast--I wish they would add some more red shades though. A girl can never have too many red lipsticks to choose from :)

texasgirl

One Too Many

katiemakeup

Practically Family
If you hold your lipliner like a pen, like you are about to write something, draw with the side of the pencil, not the point. This makes it easier to control and applies a lot less pressure which helps with less mistakes. Take small strokes- don't try to line your mouth in one full swoop and you should be fine. I like to start with the bow part and bottom lip and work my way to the corners, but everyone does their own thing.
:p

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24