Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Lipstick: Shiny or Matte, what's more vintage?

Elaina

One Too Many
And another voice...

This is the first time I've had "natural" nails in over 13 years. I got to ill to keep them up. When I let them grow out, I didn't have any problems other then a minor thinness in the beginning.

I've never gotten nail fungus, but it's like anything else you need to check the business out. The nail salon I've gone to for forever doesn't cut too many corners, and they sanitize everything after use (to that end they don't use the sandpaper dremel tool, they just use the bit, and they drop them into alcohol after each use and get a different bit). I also got the tips removed (or did so at home soaking in an acetone nail remover) every 6 months, and let the nail bed "air" out for 24 hours at least and got new tips on, as well as keeping my nails, hands and cuticles clean, hydrated and the potential for infection way down. One thing about acrylics is they look fake with the square tip. To that end, I think I did my first year in them, and then fight the people for rounded tips. I can make my tips round and better then they can because I change my polish at home and have to always reshape them. It will also help to only get a fill every 3-4 weeks instead of 2 that they tell you, and to try to get them to not put on that cuticle oil before you wash your hands, since it makes the nails grow faster.

I did ask a little old lady about nail polish who was about my age in the 50's. she says it was very flat, very thick and gooey and took forever and a day to dry. Then they added a super glossy top coat to protect the color, which made them super shiny (and took another day and forever to dry). Pat also added that in the 40's and 50's (when the nail tip and cuticle moon were painted) that they painted the inside of the nail to the tip of the finger to ensure that chipping didn't happen (something you can also ask a nail tech to do). She says that they didn't repaint the whole nail, they just touched it up, and changed colors about once a week or so. When they tip and the moon were unpainted, she says that they (at parlors) painted the whole nail then used turpentine to get the strip and moon uniform in shape. (Hope that answered the question there).

Kim_B

Practically Family
Wow, Elaina, that's great information!

I think I am going to go ahead with the nails - the place I go to is very good. I always ask for the rounded, shorter style since I do a lot with my hands (in the office I'm constantly filing things away, and at home my hobbies consist of making jewelry, scrapbooking (kind of) and various other creative outlets). I don't normally get them painted a color, but go for the French Manicure look. I do have a nice shade of deep red that I might bring with me (it's call Vintage Red by Wet 'n Wild - got it for $.99 at Halloween; it's a mix between a purple and a red, without looking too extreme) though.

Once a month my mom, Grandmother and my aunts get together on a Saturday and get their hair done and have lunch and do a bit of shopping. I decided to tag along this time - yay! A girl's day out is just what I need!

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
My mother gave me advice from a friend of hers who always had a beautfiul manicure--she painted her nails with a fresh coat every evening for a week, and then removed all of the layers and started fresh. I do this as well and it really does make a difference.

I believe that 'cream' colors were the most predominant, but pearlized shades were available (I seem to recall reading an article in a 30s magazine discussing the latest trends.)

As for matte lips in movies, I think that has a lot to do with making the lipstick more transfer proof. I read a tip in a 1940s magazine that stated the reason lipstick never seems to kiss off or smear in the movies is because the stars blotted and powdered their lipstick beforehand.

I blot my lips with a tissue--the plain, basic kind is not very "linty" lol As for powder, I dust it on with brush--if you do it lightly/carefully, it doesn't transfer to the bristles :)

Tourbillion

Practically Family
VargasGirl said:
I just started wearing red lipstick the other day for daily use (before that it was just for theater), and I find that if I try and blot with the tissue we use in this house, my lips get all linty. I tried kissing my hand which solved the lint problem, but then had to get all that lipstik off my hand. I decided the latter was better than wiping off the lipstick from my lips and starting all over again.
On a side note: yesterday I was getting some money out of my purse to tip the pizza man, and I saw one of the bills had a big lip print on it. At first glance I thought "how did I manage to get my mouth that close to the bill and not realize I did it? Is my lipstick smeared?" Then I realized the shade on the bill was pink, not red. I was soooo grosses out! Who the heck blots their lips on their dollar bills? Don't people know how much fecal matter and other nasties wind up on dollar bills? ::shudder::.

Since no one has answered this portion of my original question yet, I'll re-ask. What about nail polish? Any shimmer, or all matte?

Sorry, they didn't start adding frost to nail polish or lipstick until the 1950s.

The first frost polish was pearl white, a personal favorite.

VargasGirl

One of the Regulars
A long time ago my mom offered to pay for my sister and I to get accrylics right befor Christmas. We went to one of those nail salons in the mall, and I asked for rounded tips instead of the square becuase I had them before and hated how they screamed "fake!" The tech tried to talk me out of it, saying square tips were very "in" and I would look better with them. I actually had to put up a fight to get what I wanted, becuase the tech didn't want to take the extra time to cut and round them. After that, even if i did them myself, I would get the shortest tips possible, and even then I was cutting them down and fileing so they were just above the tips of my fingers. My motto was "short, round, and red!" Even when buying the storebought tips in the "short" length, I had to do some major trimming down. It would take me hours and hours to do my nails from start to finish. Now I take Biotin to improve my natual nail stregth and don't have to worry about it.

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
Just a Bartender's note

I have renamed this thread from 'Another lipstick thread'.

This was done so that later, people can search and find the content in the thread. Looking for lipstick textures and finding this disucssion under the previous title is not easy enough.

Miss_Bella_Hell

My Mail is Forwarded Here
For nailpolish staying power, you MUST use a base coat, apply two coats of color, and a top coat. It takes time but it's the only way to go. My nails last at least 4 days that way.

Brooksie

One Too Many
Paul said:
You can see and read about what I have got relating to the 1920's bags etc here, But I confess to be no expert I just like the thing for what they are.
1920's and others items

:eek:fftopic: I am sorry I should be sticking to the thread about lipstick but...I have the exact same comb and mirror case (the black one with the embroidery on it) but I was not fortunate to get the comb and mirror in mine, I found mine at goodwill for .99 Cents, and I bought it because to me it looked like it was from the 1920's which is my favorite era!

Thank you so much Paul for sharing these photos with all of us! They are delightful.

Brooksie

katiemakeup

Practically Family
Ooh! I love the Stork Club cosmetics...

I will blot/powder only if it is called for for the look that I am doing... normally I like a soft creamy sheen to my lipsticks!

Sunny

One Too Many
The thread hijacker is back...

But I just want to say "Thank you!" to you ladies who've answered my questions about blotting and powdering. I did it yesterday for church and it worked great! :eusa_clap

~ one happy camper

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
Elaina said:
The technique isn't actually all that common anymore with lip glosses and manners changing. Up until the 80's it was improper for a woman to reapply lipstick anywhere but a bathroom (or to touch her makeup up in public) but as that got more acceptable, this particular makeup tip went out of favor.

I have actually heard differently. What I have heard was that, in the 20s, and the advent of the pretty powder compact, many women took to touching up their makeup and showing off their compacts in public.

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
VargasGirl said:
I just started wearing red lipstick the other day for daily use (before that it was just for theater), and I find that if I try and blot with the tissue we use in this house, my lips get all linty. I tried kissing my hand which solved the lint problem, but then had to get all that lipstik off my hand. I decided the latter was better than wiping off the lipstick from my lips and starting all over again.

I use a cotton rag to blot my lipstick. No lint! Just toss it in the wash every so often.

Avalon

A-List Customer
KittyT said:
I have actually heard differently. What I have heard was that, in the 20s, and the advent of the pretty powder compact, many women took to touching up their makeup and showing off their compacts in public.

You're absolutely right, Kitty. It's the whole reason compacts and portable vanities came about! :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DavidZL