Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Living Legends you may have never heard of

MikeBravo

One Too Many
I was listening to some vinyl today and came accross a singer who I had not heard of before by the name of Bea Wain. She featured on a song called "Martha" with Larry Clinton and His Orchestra.

Wikipedia tells me that she is still alive at the age of 95 and up to 2004 was still performing.

In 1939, she was voted the most popular female band vocalist in a Billboard poll

She is considered by many to be one of the best female vocalists of her era, possessing a natural feel for swing-music rhythms not often found among white singers of the day. With regard to technique, she excelled in pitch and subtle utilization of dynamics.

This got me thinking about how many of us don't discover these wonderful people until after they pass. So ... what other people (not just singers and band leaders) are still alive who played a part in the Golden Era?

Let's get on the net or dig out some old vinyl and celebrate these people while we still have them

250px-Beawain22.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner