Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Livingston, Montana

deanzat

One of the Regulars
I'll be spending next week in Livingston and Bozeman. Any good places to shop for hats, new or vintage? Thanks, Z

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
I don't know about hats -- but if you need any fly-fishing gear, check out Dan Bailey's in Livingston...;)

Cheers,
JtL

deanzat

One of the Regulars
Tried fly fishing once. Spent the afternoon trying to remove the hook from my ear... Z

deanzat said:
I'll be spending next week in Livingston and Bozeman. Any good places to shop for hats, new or vintage? Thanks, Z

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
I spent a week in MT. last September. Loved it! :)
Check out any antique shop in any town you see. Lots of them in some of the smaller towns on the way to Yellowstone. There is a big antiques place in Billings too that's worth checking out if you get over that way.

majormoore

Vendor
Drive to Billings and check out Rands Hats and there is two more hatters in town also, can not remember the hat shop names of the other two, most of the hats will be in the western felt. but Rich Rand has alot of hats on display to chose from.

And I 2nd about going over to see John Morris at Rocky Mountain Hat Co. he has a very nice shop.

While in Livingston, shop in Wilson Custom Boot shop, makes a hell of a fine pair of custom boots, I have two pair both with 18" tall tops.

Drive over to Cody and check out down town Cody, if you have a Sat to kill, great town,

I just came back in Oct from two weeks out there in these towns.

Major Moore

deanzat

One of the Regulars
Thanks for all the hot tips, gentlemen! I expect to be putting in some long work hours in Bozeman, Livingston and Gardiner. But if things open up for my birthday (thursday), I'll see if I can visit Billings.

Thanks again, Z

Gatsby84

Familiar Face
Be prepared for long drives with some good (and a little bit of bland) scenery. I don't know if you've ever been to Livingston before, but when I passed through there I distinctly remember Wind, with a capital W. Mind your hat.

-Allen

skyvue

Call Me a Cab
108 miles west of Bozeman -- just beyond Butte -- is Anaconda, which has one of the most beautifully kept 1930s movie theatres I've ever seen, the Washoe. I wouldn't think twice about driving an hour and a half to patronize this gem.

http://tinyurl.com/cmdylx

deanzat

One of the Regulars
So far

Well, Sunday and Monday were beautiful but windy. It's been snowing and raining all day today (hooray for my FedIV Deluxe), and might for the rest of my trip. A little rough on this native SoCal boy, but at least I'm behaving and getting my work done.

No time for hat hunting yet. Weather permitting, I'll head down to Gardiner tomorrow or Thursday and see what I can see. Z

feltfan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
skyvue said:
108 miles west of Bozeman -- just beyond Butte -- is Anaconda, which has one of the most beautifully kept 1930s movie theatres I've ever seen, the Washoe. I wouldn't think twice about driving an hour and a half to patronize this gem.

http://tinyurl.com/cmdylx
Wow!

montanawashoetheater2a.jpg

Histor3.jpg

Do give a report on those hat makers if you visit them!

Pilgrim

One Too Many
There's a historic hotel in Livingston right next to the big fly fishing shop, across the street from the old train depot. It has been updated but still has the old brass scissors-gate in the elevator. WELL worth staying at for a bit of history. Individual families paid to update each room, and the revenue from the guests is shared between the hotel and the families who paid. Pretty cool deal!

deanzat

One of the Regulars
Yup; that's the Murray Hotel. If I were on vacation, that's where I'd be staying. However, my client's footing the bill, so I chose to stay at a motel for approximately 1/4 the price. I've got a clean room with plenty of hot water and wi-fi; pretty much all I need when I'm working. P

I'm actually losing interest in finding a new hat around here, because my FedIV and I are bonding. It's warm and comfortable, and although I've seen many, many western hats here, I sure haven't seen anything like my Fed!

Z
Edit: Of course, if I wander into a thrift store and find an Open Road or Stratoliner,well, there's no law against hatamy... Z

Pilgrim said:
There's a historic hotel in Livingston right next to the big fly fishing shop, across the street from the old train depot. It has been updated but still has the old brass scissors-gate in the elevator. WELL worth staying at for a bit of history. Individual families paid to update each room, and the revenue from the guests is shared between the hotel and the families who paid. Pretty cool deal!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy