Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

LL Bean "A-2"

captaincaveman1

A-List Customer
Hope there's room in the lounge for something a bit different. My latest ebay find... an older LL Bean A-2 style jacket. At this point, the thread counters should navigate away from this page and measure the width of their epaulets with a micrometer...

OK, those of you who are left might know that I like to take chances and pick up bargains here and there. Like all auctions for used clothing, I didn't know what to expect when I opened the box. Well, seller didn't describe it 100%. There were minor scuffs and the lining was lighly torn by the zipper. Worse of all, there was a strong wet-basement, moldy smell and the leather felt slimy and sticky.

First thing I did was throw it in the washer and dryer on med heat. That didn't kill the odor and goatskin still felt slimy. So off it went to my balcony to sit two whole days in 90+ degree sunshine. After this treatment the leather smelled and felt like new. Goatskin really is tough.

Next, I patched up the little holes in the liner with some iron-on patches. Cheap jackets deserve cheap repairs. lol lol

captaincaveman1

A-List Customer
You'll see this is one of Bean's older A-2's. It has an uninsulated nylon lining w/ an interior pocket. Other noticeable deviations are the lack of a throat latch and the side entry pockets.

I actually like the wallet pocket, very functional. And I like the big single piece back. The cuffs/waistband are in great shape and the leather is in pretty good shape considering its condition out of the box. Can't complain about the fit.

Price? I picked this one up for less than the dry-cleaning bill for some of my other jackets.:eek: lol

Untitledvvv.jpg

Here's the repair and a closeup of some of that grain:

Untitleddd.jpg

Untitledds.jpg

Untitledcc.jpg

Untitleddsq.jpg

Untitled.jpg

too much coffee

Practically Family
Hey captaincaveman1;

Good post about a terrific jacket! Bean's A-2 is more functional and just as good looking as the more expensive repros out there. I bought one myself off the 'Bay about 2yrs. ago for less than $55.
Bean's G-1 jacket is another good bargain if bought used.
Thanks for posting your remedies for "delousing" your jacket.....good info.

Regards, coffee

P.S.: Bean's A-2 gets just as many favorable comments as my Eastman A-2.

captaincaveman1

A-List Customer
Thanks all. I would like to pick up a GW or Eastman A-2 one of these days but it's just not in the cards now. That urge is tempered a bit since I own three flight-style jackets and too many other leather jackets to count.

This thread isn't meant to detract from the high-end repros or draw direct comparisons. More to the point, it shows that there are cheap alternatives for those trying to get the golden-era look at a depression-era price. lol

Cruise through the bay and you'll find dozens of Bean flight jackets for less than a hundred.

too much coffee said:
Thanks for posting your remedies for "delousing" your jacket.....good info.
Thanks coffee. Yeah my method worked like a charm. Wash in the machine on a gentler setting w/ cold water. Then dry at medium heat. Finally blast it w/ UV radiation for a few hours in direct sunshine. Did the trick. Leather is tough. Goat is really tough based on my experience.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy