Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

LL Bean Flight Jacket

captaincaveman1

A-List Customer
Here's my recently purchased LL Bean flight inspired jacket. Perhaps it's not everyone's cup of tea. I've heard good things about Bean's goatskin jackets from other loungers and they are all over the bay for a fraction of a repro flight jacket. I present it here for other loungers who might be looking for an affordable, nice quality civilian jacket too.

This one has a real mouton collar, woolen cuffs, two-piece back, and side-entry pockets. It appears to be new old stock. No tags but no signs of wear whatsoever.

The goatskin is nice and soft, needing no break-in. The mouton is very soft with a shorter pile. I would have preferred a slightly less blousy cut. There are definitely higher quality jackets out there, but not at this price point. Vintage on the cheap.

Onto the pics:

Untitled-1.jpg

Untitled2-2.jpg

Untitled3-1.jpg

Untitled4.jpg

u1.jpg

Peacoat

Bartender
I have the LL Bean with the sheepskin fleece lining I got for riding my motorcycle. I got it on Ebay at a giveaway price. Very warm, especially for a goatskin jacket. Well made with a good quality hide. The only thing I don't like about it is the three piece back. But then, I can't see the back while I am riding the motorcycle and the jacket is keeping me warm.

Your fit isn't that blowzy. I have a 1962 G-1 that is a little tighter than yours, and a current issue 2000 G-1 that fits about the same as yours. My LL Bean fit is maybe a little larger than yours.

53Effie

A-List Customer
Nice Jacket

Very cool. It appears to be a really good fit as well. I may just have to keep an eye open for one of those.

Mike

captaincaveman1

A-List Customer
53Effie said:
Very cool. It appears to be a really good fit as well. I may just have to keep an eye open for one of those.

Mike
Thanks. I guess I got lucky with the fit.

I just noticed two excellent condition jackets go for about 55 bucks each. (These are links to finished auctions.)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260544980626&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=380201278510&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

It seems the older ones have the two piece yoke back while the newer ones have the three piece. There are different variations on the same basic pattern. Some, like mine, have a mouton collar and some are completely lined in shearling.

Happy hunting.

Peacoat

Bartender
Phantomfixer said:
I like it. Classic bomber jacket and a good fit. What color shoes did you wear with it...lol

Careful with questions like that. You know from the other thread that can bring the females to this section. Hadley is just waiting to spring!

sbhva

Familiar Face
Nice jacket

I may have to get one of these. I have never had a goatskin jacket, but I have a pair of goatskin cowboy boots that are about 20 yrs. old and still look great.

I think the fit looks very good on you.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner