Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Local Defence Volunteers (Home Guard)

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
I apologise if I misled the forum, I was only attempting to share my views based on the research I'd done. Granted that it may be a bit exaggerated, but as Edward said, it wouldn't exist without a grain of truth.

kiwilrdg

A-List Customer
I apologise if I misled the forum, I was only attempting to share my views based on the research I'd done. Granted that it may be a bit exaggerated, but as Edward said, it wouldn't exist without a grain of truth.

Historical research that goes beneath the surface requires constant re-evaluation of what you thought you knew. Opinions do vary and it is important to look at all aspects of the records. Military records will tend to marginalize the effectiveness of a unit that may result in a reduction in peacetime defense budgets and encourage outdated equipment if it is deemed successful.

Your research would in fact provide an important feature in a portrayal of the Home Guard, the military's opinion of the unit. Dad's Army also provides a reference that the public can relate to in building the intrest at the start. Once you have them listening it is easy to teach the facts.

As you said there is a grain of truth in everything and I am sure there were SNAFUs in the Home Guard. I have heard many great stories from regular troops that could have easily been used as plot lines for Dad's Army and they were things the regulars did at the front.

Edward

Bartender
It would actually be interesting to compare attitudes then and now of regular military to Home Guard (or, indeed, the front line conscriptees, as opposed to the professional career soldiers) and Territorial Army (TA is the British part-time, reserve army - not sure what the equivalent is elsewhere).

esteban68

Call Me a Cab
One story my grandfather told me that is quite Dads Army-ish was that they were sent along with other HG units to carry out some training at a Stately home in Nottinghamshire, they were to (If I remember correctly!) attack a German stronghold/HQ the Germans being played out by members of HM Royal Marines no less! on exiting the truck my grandfathers WW1 issue bayonet got caught between the tailgate and truck body causing him to fall forward bending the bayonet still in it's case to a nice L shape almost! he kept it at home for many years on top of the wardrobe until his mother threw it into the 'cut' ( canal) that they lived next to............years passed and around 1990 they dredged the canal where their house had been (long since pulled down in a slum clearance), some of the things found were shown in the local museum including my grandfathers bayonet which I took him to see.
Their meeting with the Bootnecks resulted in many bruised ego's several bruised bodies and more than a few broken bones by all accounts!
I often think of the stories he told me and there are still remnants of the war left such as cylindrical concrete roadblocks on the back road to the old Stanton Steetley chemical plant where they made mustard gas amonst other things also a rifle 'pill box' positioned at the side of a very small stream at the corner of the old cricket pitch where some local Cpt Mainwaring type thought it should go in case the Germans rowed up the river Rother ( the stream runs into the Rother)all the way from Kent to Derbyshire

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
It would actually be interesting to compare attitudes then and now of regular military to Home Guard (or, indeed, the front line conscriptees, as opposed to the professional career soldiers) and Territorial Army (TA is the British part-time, reserve army - not sure what the equivalent is elsewhere).

Hi Edward

I have several stories about how the regular USAF and Air Force Reserve / National Guard get along. I won't tell them all, but the best is from about 2001. I was at Barksdale AFB working on a B-52 with several Major's from the base's test squadron. B-52's landed and took up all day. When a B-52 was parked, there was an airman on each wing and the Mawnback guy in front ("Come on back, come on back...). This was all accomplished at walking speed. About 3 in the afternoon, a B-52 lands, dumps the parachute, and drives screaming down the taxi way to the opposite end of the field at about 50 MPH or higher. The Major's look up at the plane and mutter ")(#*$#ing Reservists" and went back to sleep. The plane wheeled into a parking spot and the engines shutdown all without anybody showing them where to park etc.

In short, Reservists get by with more, or at least they did then.

Later

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
I don't think the 'Home Guard' should be brushed aside as a comic thing. There was nothing comic in the circumstances of its formation. Whilst the image of old veterans has a certain reality, the Home Guard was also populated by men of military age who had not yet been called up. Also it provided very useful pre-service training to youths under the age of 18 prior to their call up. Added to that is the genuinely effective role of the 'Home Guard' in anti-aircraft batteries.
The main thing about it is that, had they ever been forced to fight, the 'Home Guard' would no doubt have seen the deaths of many brave men who were willing to fight for their liberty.

Not there there was no comedy: I recall the story of the 17 year old who had a rifle but no ammunition. He made regular patrols with a retired general who was armed with a beautiful vintage shotgun and pletny of ammo. Whilst the empty rifle was useless, the shotgun - despite its beauty - was kept in its case by the veteran - who would take half and hour to lovingly assemble it, thus also rendering it somewhat useless in an emergency.

kiwilrdg

A-List Customer
The bottom line is that no matter what humorous annecdotes may have developed as a result of the Home Guard, they were a portion of the forces and were successful in their mission. They were in a position that I would not want to be in.
It is good that they were not put upon more than they were but they did live up to the challenges they were given.

the hairy bloke

Familiar Face
The Home Guard included people who had served in the International Brigades, black-listed as "premature Anti-fascists".

From all accounts these HG/IB units were very effective, and some saw action in France, having been intergrated into the Army.

Story

I'll Lock Up
A once top-secret document from Adolf Hitler has surfaced which details plans for an apparent invasion of Ireland and Scotland during World War II. It was part of “Operation Sea Lion.” Historians believe that the documents will prove surprising to the Irish who believed their neutrality could have kept them safe from attack during World War II. Despite being officially neutral, Ireland allowed German U-Boats to operate in its waters.

Read more: http://www.irishcentral.com/news/Hi...-in-new-document-171511091.html#ixzz27gsVZ9Dq

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Antonio925