Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Lock & Co or Christy's?!

Jase

New in Town
Hi all, I'm a funeral director in Portsmouth, England. Along with my velvet collar tailcoat, double Albert pocket watch chain, herringbone stripe waistcoat etc, I am always seen in a 1946 Scott & Co silk top hat. As I get so much wear out of this hat, I have decided to get a modern fur felt top hat to cover my day to day duties and keep the silk top hat as best. I've decided to go for a fur felt top hat as I detest the wool top hats all my fellow FDs wear. I've been offered the choice of two... The Christy's fur felt top hat or the Lock & Co fur felt top hat. I know the Christy's hats are very popular, but I know that Lock & Co hold the royal warrant so does this mean their version is superior? Do any of you own either of these hats? What's everyone's opinion?

Thanks

Jason

ManofKent

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I don't know about the top hats, but Christy's make Lock & co branded Bowlers for Lock & co...

The Royal warrant just means someone in the Royal household buys from them - it's not worth anything other than as a marketing tool.

Last edited:

-30-

A-List Customer
" I have decided to get a modern fur felt top hat to cover my day to day duties and keep the silk top hat as best."
Jase.

Having been within The Dismal Trade, I was taught "You can only undertake a funeral once; it had better be The Finest that you have to offer!"
END of STORY.

Regards,
J T

.........................................................................................
(IT's not The Cough that carries you off; it's The Coffin we carry you off in.)

Jase

New in Town
Thank you ManofKent I never knew that... I think that will now certainly help in my decision...

J T... With the utmost respect, if you can persuade the company I work for to pay for my replacement top hats throughout my career, or give me a pay rise to cover the costs, then you're a better man than me! With the amount of funerals I conduct my silk toppers are wearing out every two years... And there's only so much restoration that can occur to them before they become unrestorable... No matter how much I try to look after them when you're conducting anything up to 20 funerals a week they're going to get worn out extremely quickly!

All the best

Jason

Edward

Bartender
I don't know about the top hats, but Christy's make Lock & co branded Bowlers for Lock & co...

Certainly worth asking Christy's (if they'll tell you, of course...). Lock and Bates both sell some Christy's hats, at a significant mark-up from buying direct from Christy's. I may be wrong, but I think some of the hats they sell under their own brands are re-badged Christy's. I've handled a Christy's fur-felt top hat- longer than usual fur, a bit plush, lovely shine. Wordls away from the wool ones that are, well, fine for your fifteen year old goth nephew, but....

The Royal warrant just means someone in the Royal household buys from them - it's not worth anything other than as a marketing tool.

Yes, as a mark of quality it is utterly worthless.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up

Those Lock bowlers look different to the Christy's - are they on a specially made block for them?

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Interesting MoK. The Lock and Christy's used to have a particular (and different) look, the Lock's had narrower brims, a different narrower ribbon and a different crown shape, Locks were slightly squarer. But things may have changed I'm thinking 20 years ago when I collected hats.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Interesting MoK. The Lock and Christy's used to have a particular (and different) look, the Lock's had narrower brims, a different narrower ribbon and a different crown shape, Locks were slightly squarer. But things may have changed I'm thinking 20 years ago when I collected hats.

Of course I could just be wrong....

ManofKent

Of course I could just be wrong....

Those I've handled have been squarish with fairly narrow brims, on both the Locks and Christys. Christy's also do the Devon Bowler, which is rounder, but the standard is squarish.

Lock may have used a different manufacturer 20 yrs back though...

Edward

Bartender
Oddly enough, only Lock offers the square crown coke/Oddjob hat.

Yes, it's a hard one to find - shame, too. I'm a real proponent of the Homberg, but the only bowler I could ever really care for is the square top. I have considered a low-top top hat (as typically seen worn in dressage, by gents and ladies alike - quite a mid-Victorian look, think the old images of John Bull) as a possible alternative. Not so hard to find due to the equestrian connection.

ManofKent

Edward - oddly I picked up one of those equestrian top hats from ebay (unworn Christys £10) in the equestrian bit of the site. I've yet to work out what to wear it with, or when. Any suggestions?

Edward

Bartender
Edward - oddly I picked up one of those equestrian top hats from ebay (unworn Christys £10) in the equestrian bit of the site. I've yet to work out what to wear it with, or when. Any suggestions?

I'd be inclined to try it with semi-formal daywear. Or possibly black tie.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Here is a current Lock and Co Bowler - from their current website. This is like the one I had.

Town_Coke_black.jpg.jpg

Here's a current Christy's

christys-crown-bowler-ch20_black.jpg

They look different to me. I was always curious why my Lock (like the one above) had such a narrow brim compared to the Christys I saw in Harrods.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran